General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike portion of IM (flat) and nutrition strategy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-22 10:22 PM

Subject: Bike portion of IM (flat) and nutrition strategy?
First IM distance...have done a couple of HIM's, finishing around the 7 hour mark total time...

However, this being my first IM, I am estimating a 6:30 bike time, 7 tops alone...geez ;-)

Sharing my base bike plan...and need advice for tweaks - considering I am a novice triathlete...

+++

Plan is to get primary intake through liquid...so, I am going for the IM cocktail method.

Here goes the mixture thought process...
  • One 20 oz bottle mixed - Iron Man Cocktail is roughly 700 calories and contains 330 mg of Sodium native to the mix.
  • One Salt Stick capsule is 215 mg of Sodium.
Hourly consumption thought = 1/2 bottle of IMC (350 calories and 115 mg Sodium) +  2 Salt Sticks (430 mg Sodium)

I am rather slow and figure my output will not be compared to a world class athlete, however, I want to drink enough fluid and calories, along with enough sodium to minimize the muscle cramps during the last part of the bike...setting up for the run.

Questions:
In addition to the 20 oz of water mixed with the bottle of IM cocktail, what "should" my additional h2o intake be per hour on the bike?
Do you see any major flaws in my overall approach?

Note:  I have a hydration pack that holds 70 oz h2o and I intend on using it for sure...I am comfortable using it as I train with it, no problems.  I am not worried about wind drag and speed...again, I am trying to make it through the bike section with the best chances of preparing for the run.  Heck, half of the bike ride or more I'll be in a road position...lol.

Regarding the run, any suggestions on caloric, sodium, and h2o intake?  I am going to do a mix of walk/jog - alternating every mile (goal) until I cross the finish, come hell or high water ;-)

Understand, I want to complete the event, not necessarily compete.

Preparing for worse case scenario with hopes of surprising myself at the end...

Any suggestions appreciated.

2009-10-22 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2474840

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Subject: RE: Bike portion of IM (flat) and nutrition strategy?

Your cals per hour on the bike seems high.  Have you tried this mix in training?  For what it is worth my IMCDA race day plan for 2009 is posted on my blog on 6/15 and 6/16.  Part of that plan is as follows:

Nutrition On The Bike
My watch will be set to beep every 20 minute to remind me to eat.  I’m planning on eating around 250 to 300 calories per hour on the bike.  I will start the bike out with a bottle of Spiz mixed to 1000 cal.  I will mark to third points on the bottle and drink a third of it every 2 hours.  My bottle of Spiz will also have 4 Succeed tablets mixed into it.  I also plan on eating a Cliff Bar at mile 20, and a Cliff Shot Block package at miles 45, 70, and 95.  For water I plan on grabbing a bottle at every aid station and draining it before the next station.  If I don’t feel like I need to pee during the first loop then I will increase my water intake to 2 bottles per station.  I’ve been dehydrated before, it’s not fun, not going to happen this year.  I also plan on popping 2 more Succeed pills as I’m finishing up the bike and heading towards T2.

Edited by T in Liberty Lake 2009-10-22 10:50 PM
2009-10-23 5:25 AM

User image

Regular
St. John's Newfoundland
cuerx - 2009-10-23 12:22 AM

First IM distance...have done a couple of HIM's, finishing around the 7 hour mark total time...

However, this being my first IM, I am estimating a 6:30 bike time, 7 tops alone...geez ;-)

Sharing my base bike plan...and need advice for tweaks - considering I am a novice triathlete...

+++

Plan is to get primary intake through liquid...so, I am going for the IM cocktail method.

Here goes the mixture thought process...
  • One 20 oz bottle mixed - Iron Man Cocktail is roughly 700 calories and contains 330 mg of Sodium native to the mix.
  • One Salt Stick capsule is 215 mg of Sodium.
Hourly consumption thought = 1/2 bottle of IMC (350 calories and 115 mg Sodium) +  2 Salt Sticks (430 mg Sodium)

I am rather slow and figure my output will not be compared to a world class athlete, however, I want to drink enough fluid and calories, along with enough sodium to minimize the muscle cramps during the last part of the bike...setting up for the run.

Questions:
In addition to the 20 oz of water mixed with the bottle of IM cocktail, what "should" my additional h2o intake be per hour on the bike?
Do you see any major flaws in my overall approach?

Note:  I have a hydration pack that holds 70 oz h2o and I intend on using it for sure...I am comfortable using it as I train with it, no problems.  I am not worried about wind drag and speed...again, I am trying to make it through the bike section with the best chances of preparing for the run.  Heck, half of the bike ride or more I'll be in a road position...lol.

Regarding the run, any suggestions on caloric, sodium, and h2o intake?  I am going to do a mix of walk/jog - alternating every mile (goal) until I cross the finish, come hell or high water ;-)

Understand, I want to complete the event, not necessarily compete.

Preparing for worse case scenario with hopes of surprising myself at the end...

Any suggestions appreciated.

First thing, whatever you do, try it in training first.

Second thing, After 6.5 to 7 hours on the bike, you will be absolutely sick of more liquid nutrition. I suggest getting in some solid food. Bananas, potatos, bars, maybe even a bag of plain potato chips in your special needs bag.

It's going to be a long day for you. 13 to 15 hours. That's a long time just taking in liquid.
2009-10-23 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2474881

T in Liberty Lake - 2009-10-22 11:49 PM

Your cals per hour on the bike seems high.  Have you tried this mix in training?  For what it is worth my IMCDA race day plan for 2009 is posted on my blog on 6/15 and 6/16.  Part of that plan is as follows:

Nutrition On The Bike
My watch will be set to beep every 20 minute to remind me to eat.  I’m planning on eating around 250 to 300 calories per hour on the bike.  I will start the bike out with a bottle of Spiz mixed to 1000 cal.  I will mark to third points on the bottle and drink a third of it every 2 hours.  My bottle of Spiz will also have 4 Succeed tablets mixed into it.  I also plan on eating a Cliff Bar at mile 20, and a Cliff Shot Block package at miles 45, 70, and 95.  For water I plan on grabbing a bottle at every aid station and draining it before the next station.  If I don’t feel like I need to pee during the first loop then I will increase my water intake to 2 bottles per station.  I’ve been dehydrated before, it’s not fun, not going to happen this year.  I also plan on popping 2 more Succeed pills as I’m finishing up the bike and heading towards T2.

I won't lie, I have not used the mix.  In fact, I have just started experimenting with it.  I did my HIM's using cliff bars, cytomax, and two ham sandwich during the bike.  Don't laugh, but I have done just fine with them but found that near the end of the run, my legs were getting tight, etc.  So, I do a little research a couple of weeks back and find the IM cocktail...  Given that, I will go and read your info for further thoughts.  Thx.
2009-10-23 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2475021

jgoss,

I'll definately have a backup plan for solid food.  Don't laugh, but I'll have a ham sandwich or two made up in zip locks as well as a banana or two.  The hydration pack I use has a couple of side pockets to place these items.

Guess I won't really know until I get to the end of the bike as to how my gut is feeling ;-(

Not real smart I guess not knowing my body better, but this is basically how I live my life...so nothing new here ;-)  Thx for the advice.

Anything else you can say about my overall h2o consumption during the bike?

Thx.
2009-10-24 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
In my Ironmans I have tried to stick with a drink every 15 min (Gatorade or Gu2O) and have a Gu every 30 min. I went thru a bottle every hour so I wanted to use something I could get a refill on on the course. After a few hours I would also start grabbing bannanas at the aid stations and had a Baker's Square Oatmeal Cookie in my special needs bag to change things up. But as someone said earlier be aware that after about a dozen gus and a few gallons of gatorade, you get really sick of the stuff. For the marathon I shifted to Chicken Broth, flat soda, grapes, and bannanas and kept the Gu and Gatorade to a minimum.

Good luck.

2009-10-25 4:41 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I do 300-350 calories per hour on the bike no problem with Infinit using 2 1050 calorie bottles for an IM and matching water to mix about 50 50, so 48 oz mix 48 oz water.  More water if it is really hot.  Personally I have no issues with the taste of the mix over 6:30 to 7 hours.  I use it in practice, used 1 bottle for a HIM and use the 2 bottles for the IM. 

I then mix it up with Triberry GU for the run, 1 GU per 25-30 minutes so 200 ish calories per hour on the run. 

It worked for me, results may varry....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike portion of IM (flat) and nutrition strategy? Rss Feed