General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another swim thread question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-23 8:39 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Another swim thread question
I've read with interest the last couple of swim threads on how much your swim placing affects the average overall placing, as well as the % that people are swimmming, and how that impacts their placing.

I realize that I do need to up my swim volume regardless, but here's my question.  Do people do themselves a disservice by upping their volume if they have not had any type of coaching for technique improvement?  My swim fitness should improve with increased volume, and possibly my speed.  But if I can't get lessons at the moment, am I going to have more trouble in the future trying to improve technique since I may be engraining bad technique at the moment?

And yes, lessons at the moment would be ideal, but are not a possibility.

2009-10-23 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2475334

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Another swim thread question
IMO, start swimming now. You need to build up the swimming musculature and that requires time in the water. If your form is reasonably decent, your coach can tweak your form without having to overcome bad form. I was a bilateral breather before lessons and now go single-stroke after my coach recommended it with no problem. If your form is butt ugly, look at youtube for some basic lessons on form.
2009-10-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2475334

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Another swim thread question
By all means up your volume. You will naturally fix some of your problems just by putting the time in. Down the road have someone look at your stroke to fix some things, but I often come across people who can't fix flaws b/c they don't have the muscle memory in the water to make the changes. Practice will help a ton.

I am a horrible golfer, but I promise you if I went to the range everyday and hit 500 balls I would become better without a single lesson, as I would figure a lot of it out on my own. I would need lessons at some point to get really good, but the 500 balls/day repitition would go a long way in getting better.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another swim thread question Rss Feed