General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike training similar to run training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-24 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Subject: Bike training similar to run training?
I'm new to cycling and now that the enthusiasm of my new bike has subsided a bit I've decided I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong.  I'm also pretty sure that the answer to "how do I get better on the bike" is "bike more".  My question is what's the best way to bike more?  So far I've been riding with friend and a local club.  I get out sporadically and usually feel like I really over did it the next day.   With running I get a few times during the week for short/medium runs and a long run on the weekend.  Should I be doing the same thing on the bike or is there a different general strategy behind basic bike training?  

2009-10-24 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2477454

User image

Fishers, IN
Subject: RE: Bike training similar to run training?
Not a bad approach, I think it helps to have others to train with.  Three good days a week is probably a minimum, riding with faster riders is excellent.  After you get some good base endurance, make certain you are pushing yourself a good part of the time.  If you aren't hitting big miles, there is not much reason to waste a lot of time riding slow- recovery rides are for when you have trained enough to need to recover.  Grab one of the programs they have here and see how they distribute the efforts.  Jorge has a great program he is soon to kick off.  Those kind of workouts will help a lot - they hurt but make you faster. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike training similar to run training? Rss Feed