General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ripe Tide! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-26 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
Subject: Ripe Tide!

I am really struggling to do better in my swim, but I think the pool at my gym has a rip tide because I am not making any progress! I want to do more distance, but things are not working out for me. I am in very good shape, strong legs,  good endurance, but just not in the swim. My questions is, is it a good a idea to break up the swim into two sessions per day, just so I can get more time and distance in the pool. Also how about reducing my running and riding miles and intensity, and focus more on the swim? I was thinking  maybe swim five days a week, run and ride on the say day once a week? I guess my main focus is to get as many yards in the swim a week as possible. Any thoughts on this strategy?

Regards…Joe Seal

2009-10-26 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2480784

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Ripe Tide!
With a name like seal how can you not be a good swimmer? And you're subject made me laugh (it's rip) not ripe!

Regarding your swimming get a coach or join a masters swim. Thing with swimming is if you're not doing it correctly you will just continue to swim badly over more distance. Get someone to look at your stroke/technique and work on what you can fix than add more time/distance.
2009-10-26 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ripe Tide!
You may be in great shape - great cardio, strong legs - but how strong is your swimming-specific musclature, i.e., lats, deltoids, etc.? While your form may be weak and could use some fine-tuning, that is not clear, unless you put the yards in a pool, you cannot develop the muscular endurance to be a good, distance swimmer.

If, like most people, you have a finite amount of time/energy for training, then somethings gotta give and any improvements in swimming are gonna come at the expense of biking and running to some extent. But, because you are a new swimmer, increasing your yardage a little bit, say 3x/ week for 2000 yards each will allow you to benefit from newby gains. After that, the swimming benefits will be harder to come by and I personally would focus more on the biking and the running. But that is my imperfect logic.

I don't see any drawbacks in breaking up your swim into two sessions.
2009-10-26 10:48 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
Subject: Rip Tide!

I know, I even misspelled (rip tide). I really need help! I free dive in the California northern pacific. The weight belt helps me get down to 20-30 feet without really have to make much effort. The 7mil suit makes you so buoyant that kicking is a too easy. If I knew I would always wear a wetsuit in the swim part of a tri, I would have no worries swimming for even up to a few hours non-stop.

I’ve been caught in very dangerous rip tides many times out in the ocean, but it does not compare to the darn frustration of not moving very fast, or at all in the pool! I am not giving up though, I am swimming no matter what. The consensus advice is to get a coach to dissect my swim, which is what I will do. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Joe

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ripe Tide! Rss Feed