of 2

2009-10-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2484009

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: OK, so HR zone question
dewcubs - 2009-10-28 1:29 PM

Actually just talked to the peole over there and they are giving me a whole lot of other tests besides VO2(Fuel test, Body composition) and only charging me $150 since I am a Tri-shark member.  After talking to the program coordinator, who happens to do triathlons, I believe it will be well worth the money.

Thanks for the comments.   

What tests are they going to do and what do you plan to do with the results?

If you simply want to know the numbers and it is worth it to you, then by all means get the tests.  If you want the numbers to establish training zones, then I would do the field test.

Shane

2009-10-28 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2484036

User image

Extreme Veteran
gsmacleod - 2009-10-28 11:36 AM

Actually just talked to the peole over there and they are giving me a whole lot of other tests besides VO2(Fuel test, Body composition) and only charging me $150 since I am a Tri-shark member.  After talking to the program coordinator, who happens to do triathlons, I believe it will be well worth the money.

Thanks for the comments.   

If you simply want to know the numbers and it is worth it to you, then by all means get the tests.  If you want the numbers to establish training zones, then I would do the field test.

Shane

Actually a combination of both...according to the woman who will be administering the tests they are even more accurate when establishing training zones because it looks at exactly when your body burns most efficiently and when it burns the carbs as opposed to fat and at what heartrates.  Now maybe a field test can give you close to the same numbers but I like exacts if I can get it and with what we spend on this sport, for me at least, it is worth 150 to get what I think I need.

Just my opinion...
2009-10-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2484036

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ

Thanks for the comments.   

Shane

I would disagree with that, I think a lab test is an excellent way to establish your initial training zones, especially if you have difficulties completing the field test. In a lab, with someone there pushing you on, you can get close to maximum efforts in a controled enviornment.
2009-10-28 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2484053

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
dewcubs - 2009-10-28 12:41 PM

Thanks for the comments.   

Shane

Actually a combination of both...according to the woman who will be administering the tests they are even more accurate when establishing training zones because it looks at exactly when your body burns most efficiently and when it burns the carbs as opposed to fat and at what heartrates.  Now maybe a field test can give you close to the same numbers but I like exacts if I can get it and with what we spend on this sport, for me at least, it is worth 150 to get what I think I need.

Just my opinion...

So you will have "exact" for the day when you do the test and for a few weeks afterwards.  But what are you going to do 1-2-3... months down the road, do more $150 testing?  IMHO, do the lab test and then also do the field test for the run and see how close the numbers are.  Later on when you need, redo the field testing and you can see the changes and adjust as needed.

Remember though, the HR numbers for a run test are not the same as on the bike.

And there's nothing exact about training. HR will be affected by environmental and physo issues.  You'll need to make sure though that whatever you use that you have something to cross it with to verify, HR vs RPE, etc.

Edited by Donto 2009-10-28 12:26 PM
2009-10-28 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2484053

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
dewcubs - 2009-10-28 1:41 PM

If you feel that the $150 is worth it and the numbers are important to you then by all means get the test.  However, make sure that you know what you are getting from the test and make sure you sit down and ask questions when it is finished.  Also, be aware that although the numbers are determined in a lab that doesn't in any way make them more exact than what you would get if you did a field test; you may get more data but not neccessarily more useful data.

Also, depending on how the test is conducted and what equipment is used, the "exact" numbers might be nothing more than a guess.  For example, I would check to see if they are using NewLeaf equipment for VO2max and if so, I would not bother with a VO2max test.  Further, I would check to see if they are using blood samples to determine lactate or if they are interpreting it from the VO2 response.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OK, so HR zone question Rss Feed  

of 2