General Discussion Triathlon Talk » seeking nutritional hindsight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-30 6:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, NC
Subject: seeking nutritional hindsight
I'm still sorting out my race day nutrition even after having done this many times. Today I know I lost at least 3 minutes on the run due to serious stomach cramps. So toward fixing this, I seek input/knowledge in this area. Here's what I ate:

5am: 1 pkg instant oatmeal, 1 Clif bar, 1 banana, sipped 20 oz Cytomax from here to about 6 am.

7:35 Clifshot 100cal gel pouch
7:48 Race start
Sip 20 oz cytomax on bike
little bit h2o (maybe 4 -8 oz) during first 5k run
1 Clifshot gel ouch at 5 k followed by about 4 oz H2O at next aid station

Results: fine swim and bike, mild-moderate but tolerable cramp for first 6.5k of run, felt amazing and really took off next 2 k (about 6:30/m pace) mega cramp 1.5 k to go, could barely wimper in to finish line. Watched helplessly as about 6 guys in my cateory that I had kicked easily past up an incline, cruised past at the finish. Arrrgh. My run was slow at 7:11/m so I know it could have been faster, more like 6:40/m at least. Any suggestions about what I may have done wrong? This was my first Oly race in about 18 yrs but I seldom got it right back then either and we've learned a lot since then, I just seem not to have.

2005-05-30 6:32 PM
in reply to: #165655

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: seeking nutritional hindsight
Looks like I'm stalking you this evening! I'm really interested to hear what others have to say as well.

My coach suggested a sport drink and/or gel (with water) on the bike and a gel (with water) at mile 1 of the run. As a caveat, I'm approaching my upcoming OD tri as a training day since I don't really have the fitness to race the darn thing.
2005-05-30 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa

I've tried everything but had no success until I started using the principles found in this booklet:

http://www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

Yes, it's heavily slanted toward Hammer Nutrition products. But you don't have to convert to Hammer to apply these ideas. Pay special attention to page 35: The Pre-race Meal Simplified. This is a great booklet, and they have others on the site regarding triathlon success that you might find helpful too.

Good luck!

2005-06-15 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
You might experiment with electrolyte replacement. I don't see that you had anything in your nutrition that specifically addresses that. If you're like me and sweat practically pure salt, that's what you might need. I know that I couldn't even do a 10k if I didn't take salt tabs (or something else along those lines.)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » seeking nutritional hindsight Rss Feed