General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big change in HR zones Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-28 10:28 PM

Eagle River, Alaska
Subject: Big change in HR zones
I just did my first run LT test a couple of days ago, and when I plugged in my LT HR based on that run, my training zones changed alot from what I was using before (was using Karvonen method based on max and resting HR).  My new zones based on my LT test are about 20 bpm higher than I've been training with the last several months.  My question...  is it safe to jump up that much right away or should I "ease into" my new zones?

2009-10-28 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2485662

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Big change in HR zones
It sounds like you either miscalculated last time around or this time around... or it has been years since last calculation... something is not right. I would expect to see a change of a few BPM from reasonably new data to brand new data, but never upwards of 20 BPM...

Before you do any changes to your training, verify that nothing went wrong...
2009-10-29 12:00 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
What are you planning to do in terms of training? If you are still planning to do "long slow" runs, and you feel your LT test was performed properly, I dont' see any reason you can't try using your endurance HR zones.

on the otherhand if you are planning to jump right into threshold adn VO2 max workouts, and now at a HR that is 20 beats higher than before, then you should "ease into" it.

it's not the heart rate itself that is potentially "bad", but rather than an increased HR means an increased Pace, which means increased demand of your muscles, ligaments, tendons, joints, etc.

So it all depends on what you've been doing and what you are planning to do.

Regardless, I commend you for using a field test to establish your HR zones, rather than a formula (which really has little basis in reality for the majority of people).
2009-10-29 1:22 AM
in reply to: #2485692

Eagle River, Alaska
audiojan - 2009-10-28 8:11 PM It sounds like you either miscalculated last time around or this time around... or it has been years since last calculation... something is not right. I would expect to see a change of a few BPM from reasonably new data to brand new data, but never upwards of 20 BPM... Before you do any changes to your training, verify that nothing went wrong...

The big change is my previous zones were estimates using one of the formulas in the training log on this site, not a field LT test.  My guess is the only thing that went wrong was that the formula I used to estimate my zones was not a good estimate for me.
2009-10-29 1:48 AM
in reply to: #2485721

Eagle River, Alaska
AdventureBear - 2009-10-28 9:00 PM What are you planning to do in terms of training? If you are still planning to do "long slow" runs, and you feel your LT test was performed properly, I dont' see any reason you can't try using your endurance HR zones. on the otherhand if you are planning to jump right into threshold adn VO2 max workouts, and now at a HR that is 20 beats higher than before, then you should "ease into" it. it's not the heart rate itself that is potentially "bad", but rather than an increased HR means an increased Pace, which means increased demand of your muscles, ligaments, tendons, joints, etc. So it all depends on what you've been doing and what you are planning to do. Regardless, I commend you for using a field test to establish your HR zones, rather than a formula (which really has little basis in reality for the majority of people).

You hit my concern on the head... not my heart, but can my legs stand up to the extra intensity?  I'm doing the 7-10 hour winter maintenance plan so most of the running is zone 1-2 with some short strides thrown in.  I'm thinking maybe I'll split the difference for a week or two and see how that feels before going all in. 
Thanks for the input. 
2009-10-29 4:14 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It sounds like two different issues here... first, the old training data you used was not based upon you, but rather some kind of "normal person average", which pretty much guarantees that it's wrong (just more or less wrong..).

The second issue is how to incorporate the actual tested data into your training routine. I would say that you need to take in consideration the general rule of not increasing your training volume/intensity by more than 10% per week... so you're on the right tracking in that it will take a couple of weeks before you are up to where you should (and want to) be.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big change in HR zones Rss Feed