General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting Back to Training after a MI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-29 3:31 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Subject: Getting Back to Training after a MI

Last January I started training for Triathlons.  I was overweight but had always been fairly active due to my career.  In August after a training ride I had a MI (100% block in my LAD and 99% in artery around back).  Thankfully during the course of the even the LAD opened back up to 85% which most likely spared me.  I went straight to the cath lab and two stents later was in good shape.  My EF is 60-65% and my cardiologist says there is very minimal damage.  I had a follow-up heart cath due to a false positive on my nuclear stress test and all arteries are clear.  

Now for the question:  how quick should I get back to training.  I am in cardiac rehab right now and it's very frustrating.  The program won't let me push anything beyond a brisk walk on a slight incline and now I'm actually a little nervous to get back into gear.   The cardiologist has cleared me to go back to everything....but the meds have torn up my stomach and the resulting reflux has resulted in some chest pain (apparently not cardia related).  I'm on the normal regiment of an ACE, BETA Blocker, Lipitor, Effient and asprin.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. 

2009-10-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2487411

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: Getting Back to Training after a MI
Glad to hear you are recovering well and your card has given you the green light for starting to exercise again.  But I'm confused-- are you still in rehab and have a program to follow?  If your docs have given you a program, you should complete it before moving on or adding a lot of training to it.  If it has been communicated to you that you need to do "at least as much as this rehab program," then that's something different. 

In that case I would suggest starting slowly with gradual increases.  Add mileage and intensity like you would for running - only a small % per week in any dimension (distance, effort, discipline).  Refamiliarize yourself with your Zones/HR/RPE and be religious about taking BP before and immediately after exercise (do you monitor regularly?), at least in the beginning, to make sure that the only #s significantly bounding up or down with training are HR.  Start keeping your RPE on the low side and see how that goes before you build up.  Keep notes in your log of how your body feels during training sessions, and if you have any pains or swelling or dizziness or your RPE is way up there, back off and check to see if you were going Too hard-Too soon.

As far as the meds, perhaps what you've been given aren't the best for you?  Are there any other options that wouldn't cause GI distress?  Or potential dietary solutions that would help?  If nothing else, perhaps a PPI would be warranted.  It sounds like that stomach issue might put a damper on your training, as well as your day-to-day and you need to get that remedied.

Also, if there are new meds, be aware that you may feel some effect from those, another reason to err on the side of caution and more data/log-keeping.  For ex: I don't take ACE anymore for several reasons (finally developing that nagging cough is the main one), but one of the effects was dull arm pain that was worse when swimming.  Took me a while to put two and two together with that one since I had just started Masters and blamed the arm pain on increased swim training. 

So, basically, pay attention to your body-- it'll tell you many things that no one will be able to.
2009-10-30 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2487411

User image

Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Getting Back to Training after a MI
Yeah....it's a "do at least this much" situation.  My cardiologist told me I'd get bored quickly.  I stepped it up a little today.  I think the mental side of this is the hardest.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting Back to Training after a MI Rss Feed