Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sony Readers and Kindles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2009-10-30 5:53 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: Sony Readers and Kindles
Okay, anybody have any of these and have opinions?

From what I gather from online reviews, both have their pros and cons (of course).  People either loved them or hated them.  Differences I can see:

Sony has a touch screen edition right now and MUCH better battery life.  However, many readers report "glare" issues.  Supposedly you can download books from multiple sources and read them on the Sony.  I doubt I can wait for the Sony 900 (I want to have it and have lots of books on it before my deployment in mid-Dec) so I was looking at the 600.  You cannot download wireless on the 600...which I don't think bothers me all that much.

Kindle 2 has a great screen, but you can only get the books via Amazon.  The Kindle DX sounds spiffy too...but almost too big?  No one complains about glare.  You can download wirelessly and supposedly it's free.

Anywho...anybody got an opinion?  This is CoJ...surely SOMEONE has an opinion?

2009-10-30 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2490099

Eagle River, Alaska
Subject: RE: Sony Readers and Kindles
I have the first version of Kindle (got it for the same reason...deployment). Very comfortable to read. People complain about the speed the pages turn, I guess I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me. People complain about how easy it is to accidentally turn the pages, again I've adjusted and it doesn't bother me anymore. Supposedly the Kindle 2 improves on both of these issues.

My only complaint is that (because I'm such a geek), I mostly read non-fiction, science type books which tend to have pictures, which sometimes don't come out well. Overall I'm happy with it, I just have to be careful when selecting the books that I'm buying. For people who mostly read fiction or other books without pictures, I highly recommend it.
2009-10-30 8:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
I love my Kindle.  I have version 2, and have had it since mid May, I have about 80 books on it which I have read and I don't think I will ever go back to real books.  The ability to purchase books at the airport etc is awesome!!  I read quite a bit and I also like the fact I don't have to make time to go to the book store.

The major plus for you would be going with the Kindle DX with International wireless.  I love the fact that it is wireless and I don't need my computer to transfer a book.  It is one click and very fast.  My boss just got the Kindle DX and it is smaller than a tablet of paper but a definate screen size increase from the original Kindle size.  I like the original Kindle size because I throw it in my purse and it goes everywhere with me.  Anytime I wait in line or at my son's swim practice, I am reading it.

I agree that the Amazon only issue may be a detractor, but it has not stopped me from getting a book yet. 

I have not seen the Sony version, but I have taken my Kindle to the pool and the beach with no glare and total ease of reading.
2009-10-30 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
I've always wanted one, I just can't justify spending the money :/

Now, if I could get my law books on that thing....
2009-10-30 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
How much is it to download each book?
2009-10-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2490304

User image

Champion
the colony texas
velcromom - 2009-10-30 8:43 PM How much is it to download each book?

I"ve been looking at these for a Christmas gift for my sister.

they have some free books, and quite a few I looked at were just under 10 bucks, while the price of the actual book was over 20.

I found out you can have magazines and newspapers downloaded to the Kindle also.  No need for anything else computer wise.

2009-10-30 9:06 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Love my Kindle (1st edition - which I recommend over the new one - you can use a sd card and the battery is replaceable.)  Some people get wound up over the drm with some of the amazon books, but I have had no issues with it.  There are also ways to get tons of free books if you spend a little time working at it.  These are mostly public domain books whose copyrights have lapsed, but that includes a lot of the classics...

2009-10-30 11:19 PM

User image

Littleton, CO
Got a refurbished Kindle 1 from Amazon.  It's for my wife for Christmas, so I haven't messed with it, but it looks brand new.  They pop-up from time to time for $149.99 shipped.

Looks like they have 1 right now...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FI73MA/ref=dp_olp_refurbished/191-1539748-0158534?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished
2009-10-31 12:37 AM
in reply to: #2490449

User image

On your right
Barnes & Noble is coming out with their version of this too, the Nook.
2009-10-31 1:46 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
mrs gearboy (who is sort of an anti-gearboy, in that she does not like to acquire gear - so I do it for both of us) broke down and got a kindle recently for our trip to hawaii. She gives it rave reviews.  You can preview a chapter of a book before buying it, get newpapers, magazines, and internet access.  It is small and light, and very readable.  I don't particularly care for the lack of a touch-responsive screen, and I am considering whether to get the Nook when it comes out next month, since you can also share books with another person using the Nook.
2009-10-31 10:16 AM

User image

Elite
I got a Kindle DX (the larger version).  I got it to receive the NY Times and Atlanta Journal wherever I happen to be.  Print copies of newspapers are not so widely available anymore.   I like the size and ease of page turning. 

It can hold thousands of books.  The DX even has a voice synthesizer that reads to you if you want.  It is not books-on-tape but it sounds remarkably good.

Kindle has an international version that would let you download books outside of the US.

Most best-sellers are available for about $10.

I am happy with it. 

TW 

2009-10-31 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
LOVE my kindle 1.  BUT have heard the Nook that Barnes and Noble is coming out with is serious competition.  Don't know much about the Sony e-reader but discarded the idea originally because you need to use your computer to download books and the whole wireless aspect of Kindle is very very addicting!
2009-10-31 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Wait...there's going to be ANOTHER option?  Ugh.  I'll never decide!

Everyone seems to love the Kindle but no opinions on the Sony.  I've head the Sony and it is pretty nice.  I suppose having to plug it in to download books doesn't bother me as much.  It's not much different than downloading songs from iTunes onto your computer.

The wireless probably doesn't help me as much as most...I'm thinking middle of nowhere Iraq is going to be a bit skim on the wireless.

Off to see what I can find out about the Nook.
2009-10-31 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Oh wow.  The Nook looks incredible...it appears to combine the best features of both the Kindle and the Sony....and then add some.  Still no "file system" like the Sony has...but I think I could live without that.  The Nook can do pdf's, has a decent battery (10 days), has the (color) touchscreen, 3G (which I don't have around here) or Wi-Fi OR download from your computer, LEND feature....sounds fabulous.

My choice may have just been made....I just need to figure out exactly when it comes out.  Looks like end of November...which will be cutting it close but could work.  I think it says you can buy ebooks at bn.com ahead of time so they are already there when you get your Nook.
2009-11-02 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
I was looking into these this weekend.  I picked up the write up at B&N on the nook and even went online to see what they had.  I am leaning towards the Nook but am wondering if I get the B&N discount since I am a member.  Will it discount downloaded books, the nook itself, or none of the above?  The nook is priced between the cheaper Sony (109 I think) and the more expensive one (199).
I want one of these things as I will be transfering soon and hate pitching books when done (usually donate them to the Oncology clinic wherever I am) unless I REALLY like it.  Also hate the idea of preordering something I haven't actually laid my hands on.  I guess I will wait and see.
2009-11-02 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2490332

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
ashort33 - 2009-10-30 10:06 PM

Love my Kindle (1st edition - which I recommend over the new one - you can use a sd card and the battery is replaceable.)  Some people get wound up over the drm with some of the amazon books, but I have had no issues with it.  There are also ways to get tons of free books if you spend a little time working at it.  These are mostly public domain books whose copyrights have lapsed, but that includes a lot of the classics...

Agreed.  My husband has the same one.  I don't think he's paid for any books on it yet.  There are lots of books available for free that you can put on it.

2009-11-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2493077

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Anybody know if you can use non Kindle readers to read books bought on Amazon?

2009-11-03 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2493007

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
NavyTRIChief - 2009-11-02 9:29 AM I was looking into these this weekend.  I picked up the write up at B&N on the nook and even went online to see what they had.  I am leaning towards the Nook but am wondering if I get the B&N discount since I am a member.  Will it discount downloaded books, the nook itself, or none of the above?  The nook is priced between the cheaper Sony (109 I think) and the more expensive one (199).
I want one of these things as I will be transfering soon and hate pitching books when done (usually donate them to the Oncology clinic wherever I am) unless I REALLY like it.  Also hate the idea of preordering something I haven't actually laid my hands on.  I guess I will wait and see.

The BN site specifically states that you can't use the member discount for the Nook.  I saw a forum that says you can't use it on ebooks either.  I bought it with my Discover card though (preorder) that will give me 10% cash back from any B&N purchase.  So, if that's the case then at least I get 10% off...which is enough to negate the sales tax.

I went with it because I ended up feeling a good vibe.  It just seemed to have 99% of what I wanted and I liked that the touchscreen part is separated from the book part.  And just today I was realizing that in this photo that I posted in my blog, it has the text to Pride and Prejudice...which is my alltime favorite book.  I do believe that is destiny.....

2009-11-03 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2495982

User image

Champion
the colony texas
jldicarlo - 2009-11-03 4:05 PM
NavyTRIChief - 2009-11-02 9:29 AM I was looking into these this weekend.  I picked up the write up at B&N on the nook and even went online to see what they had.  I am leaning towards the Nook but am wondering if I get the B&N discount since I am a member.  Will it discount downloaded books, the nook itself, or none of the above?  The nook is priced between the cheaper Sony (109 I think) and the more expensive one (199).

The BN site specifically states that you can't use the member discount for the Nook.  I saw a forum that says you can't use it on ebooks either.  I bought it with my Discover card though (preorder) that will give me 10% cash back from any B&N purchase.  So, if that's the case then at least I get 10% off...which is enough to negate the sales tax.

I went with it because I ended up feeling a good vibe.  It just seemed to have 99% of what I wanted and I liked that the touchscreen part is separated from the book part.  And just today I was realizing that in this photo that I posted in my blog, it has the text to Pride and Prejudice...which is my alltime favorite book.  I do believe that is destiny.....

Once you get it and have a chance to use it some, update this thread or start another one on how you like it.  I'd value your opinion on something like this a great deal.   Of course by then I'll have most likely bought it myself
2009-11-03 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2493096

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dontracy - 2009-11-02 10:02 AM

Anybody know if you can use non Kindle readers to read books bought on Amazon?

I think they have a proprietary html derivative format called azw or something like that...

2009-11-04 10:32 AM

User image

Regular
Glendale
Please do let us know how you like the Nook - I'm on the fence between Nook and Kindle.  The Nook looks really neat though!

2009-11-04 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
I would not buy the Sony unless they put Wifi into it.  It requires a computer to load books.  The kindle uses a cellular network.  The nook uses wireless.  If I get a ebook, I want to be able to get a book on the fly.  Now I am fine with having to get on a wireless hotspot (nook) and the Kindle buy any book at any time is almost dangerous, but I don't want to have to go to my computer to load a book (sony).

Right now, I am waiting for the nook to see how good it really is.  It has a better range of options (epub, native pdf's) and I think it looks better.    But if the nook does not have good reviews a month after it's out, I'll buy the kindle.  I also hate the look of the kindle keyboard.

Another advantage the nook and kindle have over the sony are Iphone/Itouch integration.  You can read the book on the kindle and it will tell the touch what page you are on when it sync's up.  That lets me put the touch in my pocket for on the fly reading (ie lunch hour) and have the big kindle for casual reading at home or more relaxed settings.  The nook is supposed to have that too and you can already download the Amazon and B&N book reader for the Iphone/touch now.  They are both fine for phone reading.

I'd also like to see a 200 price.  I wil probably wait till after Christmas and see how it shakes out between Amazon and B&N.  I really want a kindle type device, but for the past 2 years I have been putting conditions and waiting.  My last condition was a 250 dollar price.  That has been broken, but I have found new conditions and I am not ready to pull the trigger quite yet.
2009-11-04 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Oh one more point...

Amazon, could you please include a low profile, nice looking leather (or fake leather) detachable cover for the Kindle.  Please, it won't cost you more than a couple dollars per kindle and it'll save me 20 to 50 bucks.
2009-11-07 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ
I have (and LOVE!) a Kindle - and I just wanted to clarify one thing. You can get books for it in other ways than just buying them off of Amazon.  I think I've bought maybe 2 or 3 books off of Amazon in the 6 months that I have had it - but I have at least 50 books on my Kindle.

You can buy books in most other formats (pdf, epub, etc) and then convert them to azw either using 1) a program on your computer (I use Stanza for my mac), or 2) you can use Amazon's email system to email them to get converted. This can cost 10 cents if you have it wirelessly delivered to your Kindle, or you can email it to the .free amazon address and then physically upload it to your Kindle for free. Either way? Takes under 2 minutes to do once you get the hang of it. I have done it in the airport between flights when I needed a new book.

This saves me SUBSTANTIAL amounts of money. Reading great books on a tight budget

Edited by ThatGirl 2009-11-07 11:12 AM
2009-11-07 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
I love my sony e-reader but I am undecided whether I will buy the new sony e-reader or the nook.  The new sony will be wireless as well so that is not a deciding factor.  I want one that has a lighted screen or an aftermarket lighting option.  My sony cover has a lighted plate that sits over the screen so I can read in the dark.  I also like that I can use multiple file formats with the sony.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sony Readers and Kindles Rss Feed  

of 1