United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 25m 9s
Overall Rank = 146/1013
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 24/96
Pre-race routine:

I arrived down in Austin the afternoon before, and went to the multisport expo, which was pretty cool. There, I checked in and got my race packet...there was no alternate way of picking up your packet. After I got my race bracelet, which afforded me entrance into the transition area, I checked my bike in there. It was a secure transition area, and we had to leave our bikes there overnight...there was no race morning bike check in. I've never been to a race that required you to leave your bike there, but ok, whatever. They had mechanics on site, if you needed a tuneup on your bike...very cool. That evening, I ate at Freebirds, and tried not to eat anything too spicy or too much. This is obviously a departure from the norm, if you know me. I stayed with a friend of Alice's on the north side of town, who was also competing in the race, actually in my age group. Tht night, as we were all sitting around watching TV, banners scrolled across the bottom of the screen with reports of severe thunderstorms coming through. This is great, since the transition area is open-air, on a grass/sand field! I'm picturing what the flooded field is going to be like in the morning.
Event warmup:

I went to bed around 945pm, and slept on a love seat, since those were his only accomodations for guests. I actually slept better than I expected, in fact, too well. I woke up around 4am...the plan was to get up at 5am, and leave by around 530am, since he lived about 20minutes from the staging area. Well, we must have lost power or something; he wakes me up at 605am, saying he didn't hear his alarm, or something like that. I was certain I wasn't going to get to race, since the transition area closed at 630am, and we still had a little bit of a drive to get there. No time to get nervous, take a D...barely enough time to brush my teeth and get out the door. Fortunately, it wasn't raining, so if I did get to race, it was sure to be nice weather. We rolled into downtown around 635am, and we had to park so far away since there were so many streets blocked off. We ran about 1/2mi in our flip flops with our transition bags on our backs, and our wetsuits over our arms. I'm sure people were thinking silly thoughts, since we were obviously running very late. When I got to the site, I ran directly to the body marking tent, and it was nice b/c there was no line! Being tardy has it's benefits! Now it was just a matter of whether or not they would let me into the T-area. I get to the entrance, and they tell me that the transition area is closed. I explain the problem and ask for mercy. They let me in, but only for about 5minutes. Fortunately, I had organized my things into baggies, so all I had to do was drop the bags, set my helmet on my bike, and get my bottles put on my bike. It only took a couple of minutes to arrange. The only benefit about getting ready for the race this was that I had no chance to get nervous....but I also had not yet been to the bathroom, and it didn't look like I was going to get to! The T-area was muddy, of course, and there was standing water under some of the racks, fortunately mine was not one of them.
Swim
  • 26m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

In the early part of the swim, I was kicked and knocked around a little bit, but nothing overly unmanageable. I initially was getting caught up in other people's races, but after about 500m, we started to spread out a little, and I got into MY pace, and MY own rhythm. It really helped to spread out a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Well, since I hadn't been in the water except for once in the past two weeks, I would say my performance was pretty good, but I wouldn't do it that way again, if I can help it. I probably could have felt more comfortable in the water if I had spent more time in it the last several weeks. Oh well.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

The run from the swim exit to the transition and also out to the mount line was exceptionally long (several hundred meters), which makes this T1 time look pretty poor. I actually spent less than one minute at the bike rack getting things ready. The rest was spent running.

I wouldn't really change anything. This was a good transition for me. Nobody spent less than 2 mintues in T1.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 11s
  • 25 miles
  • 21.68 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a fast course. There were only a couple of hills, and they were pretty moderate in grade. Not hard to maintain over 19mph most of the time. On some of the downhills, you could just scream along around 35+mph. Nice. Got passed by a few people, but probably less than 10 or so.

Still, I would like more power on the bike. My avg speed was lower than I would like, but I'm really working hard on this one. I know it will change with time. Overall, though, I'm extremely pleased with my bike performance.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

muddy feet made this transition slower for me. I had a hard time getting the mud and sand off of my feet, so I finally resigned myself to just running without worrying about getting them clean. It worked alright, but I certainly slowed down b/c of this wasted effort. Again, lots of running just through the huge transition area.

Maybe I would have had a small bottle of water to wash my feet off with, but the run felt comfortable still, so maybe not. For now, just something to think about for the future. I would certainly have needed to do so for a longer run.
Run
  • 43m 57s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great through most of the run. I maintained a great pace for me, and I'm not really sure how...maybe all of the cheering people helped. In fact, I'm sure it did. I only got passed by a couple of people, and I was able to easily meet my goal. It was a little humid, though, so I took water at every drink station and doused myself with it, to try to help keep cool. It worked, for the most part.

Nothing. I know my run times will continue to slowly improve over the next couple of seasons. I will plan to start trying to integrate some track work into my runs...really making efforts to improve my form and quality of running. Up until now, I've only been putting in mileage and time, without any interval training or focus on specific aspects of running. I think interval training would help in all of the tri disciplines for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice cold towels were given to us at the finish line. These felt wonderful! I wish every tri had these for the finishers. Otherwise, I simply stopped running. This seems to be my standard post-race routine. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My overall novice skill level in triathlon. I know this will improve with more season under my belt. I'm not concerned, since this is my first tri season; I'm very pleased with my performance, and I'm having a blast racing!!!! This was my 4th tri.

Event comments:

This was extremely well-organized. I would recommend traveling to this race to anyone interested in a fast course with good activites, and a route that lends itself well to cheering, crazy fans. I had an awesome time, and if I'm nearby, plan to repeat this race in the future.

Last updated: 2005-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:21 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/96
Overall: 288/1013
Performance: Good
There were probably 30-40 waves (by age group); it was incredible! We walked to the end of this dock, jumped into Town Lake, and treaded water until the gun sounded. My wave went about an hour after the first wave started. Apparently, this lake is known for being nasty, but the only stuff I ran into was a few pieces of wood and some grass. Apparently, they have found bodies in there before! Nice!
Suit:
Course: The course was flat and fast! ;) It was a simple loop, but it was cool b/c it went under a bridge, and partly under another. There were people lining the bridges and cheering, which was awesome to see when I turned my head up to sight or to breathe.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:11 | 25 miles | 21.68 mile/hr
Overall: 178/1013
Wind: Some
Course: 4 loops that wound through downtown. There wasn't a place on the route where there weren'y people cheering. It was so much fun to whiz by people cheering so loudly! I know they weren't cheering for me specifically, but it was still a lot of fun, to think they were. Same thing on the run.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:57 | 06.2 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 163/1013
Course: 2 loops around a downtown course. Again, lots of people cheering; very nice indeed. Even though we were in Austin, this course was completely flat. Very fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-31 12:52 AM

User image

Subject: CapTex

2005-05-31 12:31 PM
in reply to: #165775

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: CapTex

Great job, John.  And you are right, the fans made this event really special.  Despite me being a slow, overweight newbie in his first tri, I set a personal best in the 5k.  (I was in the first tri division).

It was a fun race that I will definitely do again.  Next year, I hope to do oly...we'll see.

2005-05-31 3:07 PM

Elite Veteran
Yep. You really do need to work on your times. All of your legs looked really good. Congrats!

What did you do for nutrition?
2005-05-31 5:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW that was a great reprot.  You overcame a lot with being late and everything.  You did really well.  I had to wait 1 1/2 hours for my start at St. Anthonys!! Had the same muddy feet problems too.  Hope you are enjoying your post race glow.  Take care -SMO 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CapTex Rss Feed