Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Referendum on Obama? News source by news source... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-04 1:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-11-04 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2497603

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Referendum on Obama? News source by news source...
It absolutely was.

I always base my votes for local and regional candidates on my opinion of the current presidential administration.

2009-11-04 2:10 PM

Master
Portland, ME
I've learned that most voters can't seperate state politics from federal politics. So yes, I think that there is some truth to the claim that the many voters were influenced on their feelings toward the federal government while casting their vote for governor.

2009-11-04 2:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-11-04 2:12 PM

Champion
Nashville, TN
Slight warning to Democrats?  Yes.  Referendum?  No. 

If anything it should be a warning to any incumbent that the electorate is fed up with politics as usual.  People want a change.   You need to look no further than Michael Bloomberg's race to see that.  Bloomberg spent nearly $100 million to win over someone who raised a fraction of that amount. 

As for NJ, that was a bit of a surprise; however, Corzine was an unpopular Governor.  That could have gone either way without saying much.  And VA doesn't come as a huge surpise.  McDonnell beat Deeds in 2006 for the AG positions.  Should be surprised that he beat him again after having a statewide job with more appeal?

Several states like VA and NC have a history of going red in the Presidential election but voting Blue for the statehouse.  I always find that an interesting dichotomy.  It also shows that national elections are all about R & D, whereas on the state and local level it matters less...which is why an occasional independent wins. 
2009-11-04 2:35 PM

Champion
SRQ, FL
I do not think you can make a direct comparison but it certainly should be something for the Democratic party to consider.  It's a warning shot of sorts...  Of course I bet you dollars to doughnuts if both Dems had won the Obama administration would be all over it, touting it as a sign that the American people want their "change".  (To be fair I'm sure Republican would have done the same).

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the President goes stumping for these guys?  Isn't he the President of the United States, not the President of the Democratic party.  To be fair I disliked it when Bush did this as well.

2009-11-04 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2497687

Champion
PA
TriRSquared - 2009-11-04 3:35 PM

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the President goes stumping for these guys?  Isn't he the President of the United States, not the President of the Democratic party.  To be fair I disliked it when Bush did this as well.

Obama should have been hired as the DNC party head.  IMO he is beyond qualified to campaign but not actually be president.
2009-11-04 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2497687

It is a warning to the Dems, although I would not be surprised if they ignore it.

Also, I am not sure the GOP is capable of taking advantage of it on a large scale. There seems to be a void in leadership.
2009-11-04 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2497704

Expert
Columbia, MO

eberulf - 2009-11-04 2:41 PM It is a warning to the Dems, although I would not be surprised if they ignore it. Also, I am not sure the GOP is capable of taking advantage of it on a large scale. There seems to be a void in leadership.
only if you define void as a great big sucking black hole....

2009-11-04 3:46 PM

Champion
Frisco, TX

As much as I am dissatisfied with the current administration, no.  NJ governor had some sort of ethics issue in his adminstration and the VA dem candidate was never really in contention. 

2009-11-04 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2497847

Master
Portland, ME
bsjracing - 2009-11-04 3:32 PM

eberulf - 2009-11-04 2:41 PM It is a warning to the Dems, although I would not be surprised if they ignore it. Also, I am not sure the GOP is capable of taking advantage of it on a large scale. There seems to be a void in leadership.

And who was the democratic leader during election off years when Bush was President?

Because there is no natural positon on the national level (ie the President) that the casual observer can point to and say "she is the leader of the party out of power" does not mean that there are leaders in the party ready to move to the national forefront in a couple of years.

2009-11-04 6:15 PM

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
To me it was came down to who came out to vote. Those same 18-25 year olds pumped to register and vote for BO stayed home along with majority of african americans. The GOP base was fired up and that pushed it over the top. OB spent weeks campaigning in NJ and VA. No matter what they say, it stung. That said, we will all be much better off if a balance can be regained in the House or Senate in 2010. I was not unhappy to see it happen with Bush last two years as DEM's took over congress. It does cause me to scratch my head though when OB states he inherited such a mess time and time again. He also inherited a Dem. congress that had been there since 06'. That rarely gets said. At least the process slows down and less is more when it comes to legislation out of Washington.
2009-11-04 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2497645

Elite
Venture Industries,

Jackemy - 2009-11-04 3:10 PM I've learned that most voters can't seperate state politics from federal politics. So yes, I think that there is some truth to the claim that the many voters were influenced on their feelings toward the federal government while casting their vote for governor.

Perhaps the voters have a difficult time seperating state politics from federal politics because, oh I don't know, people like President Obama and Nancy Pelosi, end up in Virginia and NJ stumping for the democratic canidate.

there's a warning in there, an old saying:  "If you roll around with pigs you're gonna end up smelling like sh*$"

2009-11-05 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2498137

Champion
SRQ, FL
Brock Samson - 2009-11-04 7:32 PM

Perhaps the voters have a difficult time seperating state politics from federal politics because, oh I don't know, people like President Obama and Nancy Pelosi, end up in Virginia and NJ stumping for the democratic canidate.

That's another thing that chaps my behind... if you write a letter to Pelosi and do not live in her SanFran district (or The People’s Gaypublic of Drugaphornia" as Jack on "30 Rock" calls it) you get a form letter stating "thanks but you are not one of my voters so bugger off". I'm paraphrasing a little

However she spends time campaigning in VA and she was recently down here in FL selling her new HC bill.  If I cannot give you my opinion as Speaker of the House then get the hell out of my state.
2009-11-05 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2498713

Champion
Nashville, TN

I don't necessarily have a problem when a party leader stumps in other districts.  I see it as politics as usual.  It is no different than Palin interjecting herself into NY-23 or Huckabee, Romney, etc on the campaign trail support those members who supported them.  I superficially understand how aligning oneself with a party leader could attract additional voters, but I think in the long run it is just done to create more buzz.  Obama, Palin, etc stumps and it is a lead story.  All press is good press.

What I find more odd is when random Congressman from WY endorses a Congressman from FL and then stumps.  As if the voters really care that the two are friends and some dude in WY thinks is a good Congressman. 
2009-11-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2498713

Champion
Nashville, TN
TriRSquared - 2009-11-05 8:48 AM

That's another thing that chaps my behind... if you write a letter to Pelosi and do not live in her SanFran district (or The People’s Gaypublic of Drugaphornia" as Jack on "30 Rock" calls it) you get a form letter stating "thanks but you are not one of my voters so bugger off". I'm paraphrasing a little

However she spends time campaigning in VA and she was recently down here in FL selling her new HC bill.  If I cannot give you my opinion as Speaker of the House then get the hell out of my state.

I agree that as a party leader, they should listen to constituents from everywhere.  But we all know it is about getting re-elected, therefore you only worry about those in your district. 

I *sometimes* wish political campaign finance followed the same logic.  For instance, what if a local candidate (mayor, legislator, congressman, senator, governor) was only allowed to accept contributions from in-district donors.  This became an issue the Atlanta mayoral race.  One of the candidates was largely funding by people outside the city.   I wonder what politics would look like...

2009-11-05 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2497997

Champion
Fairport, NY
Jackemy - 2009-11-04 5:40 PM
bsjracing - 2009-11-04 3:32 PM

And who was the democratic leader during election off years when Bush was President?

Because there is no natural positon on the national level (ie the President) that the casual observer can point to and say "she is the leader of the party out of power" does not mean that there are leaders in the party ready to move to the national forefront in a couple of years.

The Dems had Howard "Screamer" Dean.  Say whatever you will about him, the guy was very effective in his role as the leader of the DNC.

Michael Steele doesn't appear to have the organizational abilities as Gov. Dean, which is what the GOP really needs right now. They need an organizer, not a national candidate. 

I find it very interesting that the "herd of cats" Democrats were easier to organize at the party level under Dean than the GOP seems to be at the moment.  Of course, Dean didn't have media personalities like Limbaugh/Beck et al to contend with.
2009-11-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2498137

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Brock Samson - 2009-11-04 6:32 PM

Jackemy - 2009-11-04 3:10 PM I've learned that most voters can't seperate state politics from federal politics. So yes, I think that there is some truth to the claim that the many voters were influenced on their feelings toward the federal government while casting their vote for governor.

there's a warning in there, an old saying:  "If you roll around with pigs you're gonna end up smelling like sh*$"

^^^^  HeHeHe - My Grandpa.  That makes me smile because I miss him sometimes every day. 
2009-11-05 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2498754

Extreme Veteran
ADollar79 - 2009-11-05 9:03 AM
TriRSquared - 2009-11-05 8:48 AM

I agree that as a party leader, they should listen to constituents from everywhere.  But we all know it is about getting re-elected, therefore you only worry about those in your district. 

I *sometimes* wish political campaign finance followed the same logic.  For instance, what if a local candidate (mayor, legislator, congressman, senator, governor) was only allowed to accept contributions from in-district donors.  This became an issue the Atlanta mayoral race.  One of the candidates was largely funding by people outside the city.   I wonder what politics would look like...

Look at NY-23 - Doug Hoffman was funded almost entirely from outside the district (as well as living outside the district). Her raised nearly 95% of his donations from outside NY-23 ($235,000 to $12,000)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Referendum on Obama? News source by news source... Rss Feed