General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting perspective Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-31 3:24 PM

User image

Subject: Getting perspective

I've been hovering at or around 235 for a long time now, and my food has been a little (ok, a lot) sloppier than it should be, so I lose track of where I am and where I've come from.  This weekend I had to buy a new fishing license, and they ask hair/eye color, height and weight.  I put in 235 for my current weight. When I removed my last fishing license from its holder to put the new one in, I took a look at the info on it.  Weight?  275.

Sure helps put things in perspective.  It's been a long haul, but every little step helps.

Chris

2005-05-31 3:47 PM
in reply to: #166147

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: RE: Getting perspective
That's awesome, Chris, good job!

2005-06-01 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Way to go, Chris.  For the first time in my life, I really weigh less than what's on my driver's license (and I know I lied about my weight then)
2005-06-02 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Wisconsin

Congrats!  That is wonderful Chris--you've come a far way!  Keep up the great work

Imnotjoking--too funny.  I can't WAIT to get to the weight I have on my license   Congrats to you too!

2005-06-02 3:27 PM
in reply to: #167344

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Funny you said that, I have to go in to get a new drivers license even though it doesn't expire till '07. People keep looking at the pic, then at me, then at the pic, then at me....

When I got the license, I lied and said I was 200lbs. I figured nobody can tell, fat is fat. Two years ago at 245lbs, I never, ever, ever thought I could really see 200lbs again. Today, I'm 155 with 30(ish) more lbs to lose.

For me, perspective is when I go to the gym and heft the 45lb plates up onto the leg press, and think, I can't pick up 2 of these at once, yet that's what I was carrying around strapped to my body at all times just 2 years ago.

Some days, like today, when I'm really down on myself for not working out 2 or 3 days in a row because of this and that, I get depressed and angry and have really negative thoughts. Then I visit this forum, and I read everybody's stories, and I think about my own journey, and find somthing to put it in perspective. Sorry for the ramble, but this kind of thing really keeps me going every day.

So, Chris, thanks for posting this thread, Imnotjoking, congrats, and Hiccup -- you'll get there!
2005-06-02 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
Hey Chris, Thanks for the post. I feel your pain. I'm 234 and have been for quite awhile now. I started a plan on New years and then bailed by the end of the month. I'm starting again. It's all in baby steps. It took me approx 10 years of not working out and being a couch bum to pack on this extra weight. I just needed to realize that it's not going to come off in a month. I would like to get down to approx. 210 maybe less. When I need the motivation I now go out and lift 25lbs. That's the fat I need to lose. It helps me put it into perspective. Also,I'm not as concerned with the weight as I am my fitness level. I might not ever make it below the clydesdale level(nice term by the way), that's cool with me as long as I feel I'm in good shape!!! just my 2 cents. keep up the good work!!!! Chris

2005-06-03 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Wisconsin

Great post!  Madeye--I feel the same way about this site--I find so much inspiration here and just being able to log in and read about everyone else pushes me forward.  And what an amazing accomplishment for you--wow.  That weight loss is amazing--you've done AMAZING!

Erlifeguard--this sure is the place for motivation and inspiration!  I have faith that you can lose that 25 pounds!  Do you use your logs here?  Inspire Me's are a great way to stay on track!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting perspective Rss Feed