Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Getting laid off, need advice! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-05 10:32 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: Getting laid off, need advice!
After working 10 years for my father in law he let me know this morning that because of the economy
and lack of volume scheduled next year, the ship is going to sink ! Good news is he has arranged an
interview with a good friend of his in a similiar field and that business is thriving. I am involved in construction estimating and project management and because of my reputation and work ethic I have a 98% chance of getting the Job after a pretty decent pay cut.

Heres the thing, I have only been on one interview in twenty years and I have no problem with that, I have no clue what to ask or how to sell myself and what to negotiate given my circumstances, any help is welcome as I am a bit freaked out!

2009-11-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2499092

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Getting laid off, need advice!
Because you FIL has already talked you up to his friend and I am guessing his friend may be someone you have at least worked with in the past (or his company perhaps) they should already have a good feeling of who you are. I would make sure you resume is shinning, steller even and then just go in with an open mind ready to answer all the common questions (biggest strength/weakness etc) as well as discuss past projects you have worked on as examples of your ability. It sounds like the interview is a formality if what you said is true but best to go in 100% prepared. I would also suggest looking a bit into the history of that company so you know a bit about them from the getgo.
2009-11-05 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Don't freak. Get ready for some basic questions (below). Also, remember - it's an interview for you too. Ask about what their expectations are, what are their challenges?, is this a new position?, etc...

Good luck!

Tell me about yourself.
Why did you leave your last position?
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
Tell me about a something in your professional life you are very proud of. What made you proud?
Tell me about a project that didn’t go so well. What did you learn?
Tell me about a time when you had to adjust quickly to change in work procedures.
Can you tell me about a time when you had to make decisions about your own work?
When have you been the most satisfied with your job?
Give me an example of a successful strategy you used to improve your last company.
When have you been most motivated?

2009-11-05 10:45 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

On the company history front and the construction angle, be ready with a project they did that you feel they're likely proud of. Small talk can open a door to discuss/complement/ask questions of that project in a way that shows how your mind would work on such a task.  I don't know if that makes sense of can work for your field, but my $.02.

2009-11-05 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2499119

User image

Modesto, California
Frank in St. Louis - 2009-11-05 8:44 AM Don't freak. Get ready for some basic questions (below). Also, remember - it's an interview for you too. Ask about what their expectations are, what are their challenges?, is this a new position?, etc... Good luck! Tell me about yourself. Why did you leave your last position? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Tell me about a something in your professional life you are very proud of. What made you proud? Tell me about a project that didn’t go so well. What did you learn? Tell me about a time when you had to adjust quickly to change in work procedures. Can you tell me about a time when you had to make decisions about your own work? When have you been the most satisfied with your job? Give me an example of a successful strategy you used to improve your last company. When have you been most motivated?

This I am comfortable with as well as projects/margins/profits I have added to my current company. I have been working for family for ten years and found this out two hours ago and I have a interview in 4, resume is not an option and they are not expecting one. Like the above post mentioned, this is about feeling me out and seeing if I am affordable. What I am not comfortable with is what to ask them. How do you know your worth so you have a # to throw out,How high to go assuming they will counter, how to negotiate bonuses,car allowance,benefits,expense acct,etc.

And it at Chili's restraunt.

Edited by nevergivin 2009-11-05 11:11 AM
2009-11-05 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2499163

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Be polite and always try to provide POSITIVE responses.  Do not provide answers that appear that you are "burning bridges", per se.  Don't be arrogant, but sell YOURSELF as what you can do for them and be a valuable asset.

Have you done any research regarding the company or no quite a bit about the company?  It impresses them if you have done some research and what you like about what they do.

2009-11-05 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
My 2cents is to always telling them what salary you are requesting.  I will dance around that subject as much as possible and make them offer you a salary first.   It doesn't always work, sometimes they will put you on the spot and then I inform them of my current salary and explain (depending on the job duty differences) why i deserve more (or at least the same).  you have to be able to walk away without the job though and I am not sure you have that luxury at this time.

Also, keep in mind any benefits that will be different.  Will your healthcare costs raise or lower that will affect your take home pay?  what other benefits will they offer that you may not currently have.   I have always gotten a little raise in each job change except for one where i took the same salary because the benefits were a lot better and i had more freedom in my schedule.

Good luck and just be yourself in the interview.
2009-11-05 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

some great responses.  something I might add, yes you want to sell yourself.  But be careful on how much you talk and what you say.  Sometimes when we talk a lot we tend to say the wrong thing.  I've been on both sides of this.  One mis-spoken or mis-intrepreted sentance can really hurt an interview.  just sayin

good luck!

2009-11-05 11:50 AM

User image

Modesto, California
I thank all of you, great feedback from each response. I feel fortunate to have such professional responses, now I feel I have some confidence going in!
2009-11-05 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Barrington, IL
Regarding Salary I would lay out your qualifications, how accurate you are on your estimating and how much added profit you have brought into the firm.

Ask THEM what they would typically pay someone with that experience and use that as a starting point.

You could have X number in mind and they might be $5000 over it, but if you give them X number they will take it, or even go down from there.
2009-11-05 1:45 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
1. Learn all you can about them and ask questions regarding what you have learned. It will impress them and show them that you are professional.

2. If you would be happy making as much as you did before, then if they ask you to give them a $ figure, say I made $X in my old job. This is a way to make an opening gambit without giving them a figure that prices you out of the picture.

3. Ask them about their long term plans. Ask them how they would use you and how you would fit it.

I cannot emphasize number 1 enough. I have conducted many interviews over the years and this factor was the one most likely to mave favorable or unfavorable impression on me.

Good luck.

Doug

2009-11-05 9:43 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Thanks everyone, I must say it was a bit stressful today. The interview went well and I used more than a few suggestions. They are creating a position for me in a great company, I just threw my salary wishes out there and they seemed ok with it. I am very fortunate to have a job lined up for me when I have to go, real soon! This economy is not very hopeful for others in my position, thanks again for the help!
2009-11-05 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2500366

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
nevergivin - 2009-11-05 11:43 PM Thanks everyone, I must say it was a bit stressful today. The interview went well and I used more than a few suggestions. They are creating a position for me in a great company, I just threw my salary wishes out there and they seemed ok with it. I am very fortunate to have a job lined up for me when I have to go, real soon! This economy is not very hopeful for others in my position, thanks again for the help!

Holy crank man, that's great! Congratulations on that. They clearly had been told great thinks about you beforehand and the interview must have reinforced that. That has to make you feel pretty good!  
2009-11-06 6:59 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Hooray! Glad there won't be much down time for you . Interviews are stressful, true story.

In regards to the "what questions to ask" when given the old "So, do you have any questions for us?" by your interviewer. There's always the good standby of "Can you tell me about your most recent project? How did this position fit into that project? (in your case, where a position was created for you, you could try something like "how do you envision this position fitting into the workflow?"). Wait for answer, then relate experience/ generally wow them with awesomeness.
2009-11-06 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2500366

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

nevergivin - 2009-11-05 9:43 PM Thanks everyone, I must say it was a bit stressful today. The interview went well and I used more than a few suggestions. They are creating a position for me in a great company, I just threw my salary wishes out there and they seemed ok with it. I am very fortunate to have a job lined up for me when I have to go, real soon! This economy is not very hopeful for others in my position, thanks again for the help!

Sweet, congrats.

2009-11-06 8:10 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

CELEBRATE!!!  Congrats on your new position!!

2009-11-06 8:51 AM

User image

Nothing specific, just remember you have two ears and one mouth, use them proportionally.

2009-11-06 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Southeastern Louisiana
Congrats to you on your new job. Take a moment to Thank your FIL for the advanced good words. Get to the new job with your elbows up and make the difference for them that made the impression on your FIL.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Getting laid off, need advice! Rss Feed