General Discussion Race Reports! » The 2009 Harvard Pilgrim Maine Coast Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The 2009 Harvard Pilgrim Maine Coast Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
York, Maine
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 9s
Overall Rank = 227/
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 24/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to the race site. Had two cliff bars and a bottle of Gatorade. Did some static stretching. Cheered on my husband at the start of his 5K.
Run
  • 1h 59m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

My stomach started hurting pretty bad at the 8 mile mark. It was my goal from then on to do anything to finish under my goal time of 2 hours. I struggled a little bit, but was able to kick it up a notch at mile 11. Everything else went and felt well. My training for this half was far better than my previous half's.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more. Don't eat pizza and egg mcmuffins the day before the race.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did not do enough hill training. My stomach was killing me during the last few miles of the race.

Event comments:

Could have used a few more water stations. They only had five. Also, only one station had Gatorade and Gu. One station was completely abandoned about half way through the race. The table was tipped over and the gallons of water were sitting on the ground with cups scattered everywhere. Runners were filling their own cups at this station.
The hills were very challenging, but the race was a lot of fun overall. I will definitely do the race again next year if my schedule permits.

Last updated: 2009-10-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:09 | 13.1 miles | 09m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/
Overall: 227/
Performance: Good
Course: Very hilly throughout. Between miles 4 and 7 were the worst. It was very scenic though. It went past many gorgeous ocean side houses as well as along the ocean. There was a part that went more into town, but the fall trees were equally gorgeous to see.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-08 3:30 PM

User image

New user

Boston, MA
Subject: The 2009 Harvard Pilgrim Maine Coast Half Marathon

2009-11-08 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2503666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: The 2009 Harvard Pilgrim Maine Coast Half Marathon

I did this race too! It was my first Half Mary, and I liked it!   Funny about perspective.  I would characterize this course as very flat with just a few rollers.

2009-12-19 10:14 PM
in reply to: #2503666

User image

New user

Boston, MA
Subject: RE: The 2009 Harvard Pilgrim Maine Coast Half Marathon
Definately! I just moved to the east coast from the Midwest...from no hills to very hilly...in my opinion anyways. The hills were doable, and they were definately not my downfall, but I was not ready for them AT ALL!
I'm glad you enjoyed the race. Half mary's are quickly becoming my favorite distance to run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The 2009 Harvard Pilgrim Maine Coast Half Marathon Rss Feed