General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kids and Plyometrics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-08 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
Subject: Kids and Plyometrics
What age are kids good for plyometrics. I have looked online and found some conflicting things. Many have said that it is alright because kids primarily do plyometrics when they play regularly. Others have said that it can be bad for them. A friend of mine is trying to increase the vertical leap of his 10 year old (I believe) for soccer. Any ideas on what type of exercises he could do that would benefit him and be safe. I figure some box jumps would help as would some "hop scotch" workouts. Any other ideas?

2009-11-09 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2504067

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: Kids and Plyometrics
Look online for the PEP program.  It was designed for girl soccer players and greatly reduced knee injuries.  I used a reduced form of it for 5th and 6th grade co-ed team, and I it worked for us.  It has some plyometric exercises in it. 
2009-11-09 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2504067

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
Subject: RE: Kids and Plyometrics
Teach good technique and body control, and then let him hit puberty.  Plyometrics done with poor technique (quad dominant jumping/landing, which is seen more often in girls than boys) put one at risk for injury.  Over the next 4 or 5 years he'll be getting an increase in testosterone which will help increase overall strength anyway, and his vertical leap will improve on its own.  Plyos can be introduced during or after that time, IMO. 

If you're looking for research, check for the NSCA's position statements on plyometrics and explosive exercise, or for programs done by Tim Hewett, who's done a lot of research on knee injuries and training programs in basketball/volleyball players.  I can look around for them later but I don't have the links right now. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kids and Plyometrics Rss Feed