General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Anyone up for Racine 70.3? Could use support Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-10 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Subject: Anyone up for Racine 70.3? Could use support

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Name: CARRIE MATCZYNSKI
Date of Birth: 4-16-72
Sex: F
Height:  5'3"
Weight: 194

Write your three season goals below.

Goals should a) be race/event specific b) be measurable, and c) have a specific date for accomplishment (example: go under 2:30 at the XYZ Triathlon on June 3)
-Note: You must have at least one season goal.
First Most Important Season Goal:  COMPLETE A HALF IRON TRIATHLON (RACINE 70.3 – PAID FOR, SO COMMITTED)

Second Most Important Season Goal:  GET UNDER 30 MINUTES FOR A 1 MILE SWIM IN THE POOL

Third Most Important Season Goal:  LOSE WEIGHT SO I CAN BE LIKE LIGHTNING NEXT YEAR
Fourth goal:  IMPROVE BIKE TIMES (BAD ON SHORT STEEP HILLS AND BLEW MYSELF UP ON AN OLYMPIC TRI THIS YEAR)

Medical History (Note: All medical questions must be completed)

Have you ever experienced chest, shoulder, neck or arm pain after exercise? Explain

Have you ever felt lightheaded, dizzy or fainted after exercise? Explain - YES, BUT WENT OUT TOO HARD

Have you been diagnosed with Asthma, Diabetes, Heart Trouble, High Blood Pressure? Explain -
Do you have any medical conditions that would be adversely affected by exercise? Explain - I HAVE ARTHITIS IN MY BACK (BACK SURGERY 2 YEARS AGO) SO DON'T KNOW YET IF MY BACK CAN HOLD UP FOR RUNS, IF NOT WILL CONTINUE AQUABIKES.  DOING A LOT OF CORE WORK WHICH SEEMS TO HELP

Do you have any injuries, past or present, that would be adversely affected by exercise? Explain

Are you currently using any medications? Explain

HAVING UPPER INSIDE CALF PAIN/SORENESS ON MY RIGHT LEG, THE MEATS PART OF THE CALF, NOT THE LOWER LEG.

Does your doctor recommend that you DO NOT exert yourself or perform strenuous exercise FOR ANY REASON?

When was your last physical examination? - 2 MONTHS AGO

TRAINING & RACING HISTORY & Goals

Emphasis: Triathlon, Duathlon, Running ? WANT TO GET TO THE POINT OF DOING TRIATHLONS.  MY FIRST RACE EVER THIS YEAR WAS AN OLYMPIC AQUABIKE, THEN I DID A SPRINT TRI THE NEXT WEEKEND AND JUST WALKED THE RUN.  AGAIN, IF RUNNING DOESN'T AGREE WITH MY BODY, THE I WILL FOCUS ON AQUABIKES.

How many hours a week are available for training?8-15

which day(s) are preferable for rest days? FRIDAYS

Describe your typical weekly training schedule (swim, bike, run, weights, etc):
Monday: MASTERS SWIM
Tuesday:  45 MIN JOG
Wednesday:  MASTERS SWIM
Thursday: OFF
Friday: BIKE 60 MIN
Saturday: BIKE 60/JOG 45
Sunday: MASTERS SWIM
Describe any additional training:  CORE WORK, STRENGTHENING

Average hours per week for training last year: - THIS IS MY TRAINING FOR NOW, JUST STARTED RUNNING 2 MONTHS AGO
Swim: hrs 3
Bike: hrs 2-3
Run: hrs 2

Average distance per week last year:
Swim: 1.5 MILES
Bike: miles 20 MILES
Run: miles 0

Goals for the season (indicate all that apply):

1st Triathlon or Duathlon
First Olympic distance
First ½ Ironman
First Ironman
Be competitive for my age group IN AQUABIKES
Compete for IMQ slot

Favorite distance: Sprint, Olympic, 1/2 Ironman or Ironman
Best race to date:
Distance:
Times: Swim: Bike: Run:

Goal Races for 2008:
Race #1:
Importance: A Race B Race C Race
Date: Race: Distance: Overall Goal Time:
Goal Swim Time: Goal Bike Time: Goal Run Time:
Have you done this race before? Year? Time?

(Copy and paste for any additional races)

SPORT SPECIFIC TRAINING

SWIM
How long have you been swimming?  SINCE MAY
Do you swim with a Master’s Program? YES
The pool you swim in is in Meters or Yards? YARDS, I THINK
What is your best time for:

800M (or yards):
1,500M (or yards):
1.0 miles: 34 minutes
2.4 miles:
What pace do you swim 100s in the pool?
Do you have access to: Pull buoy, Paddles or Fins? YES

BIKE
How long have you been cycling?  YEARS
During a race, what is your avg mph?  15-17 MPH
What heart rate does that correlate to? 160-180
During training, what is your avg mph? 16.5
What hear rate does that correlate to? 170

20k (12.5 miles): 45 MIN
40k (25 miles): 1 HR 28 MIN
56 miles:
112 miles?:
Do you bike with training partners? NOT YET
Do you have access to a bike trainer? YES
Does your computer have a cadence feature? YES
Do you own a Compu Trainer TM ? YES
If no, would you like more information?

RUN
How long have you been running? 2 MONTHS (DIDN’T FOR YEARS)
During a race, what is your avg pace per mi?
What heart rate does that correlate to? I AM DOING HR TRAINING AS MY HR SPIKES WHEN I RUN

5k (3.1 miles):
10k (6.2 miles):
½ marathon (13.1 mi):
Marathon (26.2 mi):
Do you run with training partners? NO
Do you have access to a track? ???

NUTRITION/OTHER

Do you have your nutrition zeroed in during a race?  NOT REALLY
Describe a typical pre-race meal:   BANANA, GRANOLA AND GEL BEFORE SWIM, WATER AND/OR GATORADE
Describe a typical race day nutrition: GELS EVERY 30 MINUTES, I FIND IT HARD TO CHEW ON THE BIKE CUZ I AM EXHAUSTED, I TEND TO RACE AT 170 BPM ON THE BIKE
Describe a typical post-race meal:  NO IDEA, ONLY DONE 2 RACES AND HAD PANCAKES AFTER WITH WATER
Describe a typical day’s meals, be accurate and realistic as possible:
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:
Snacks:
Do you currently strength train?  YES
Do you own a heart rate monitor? YES
If yes, do you use it? YES
What has been your highest heart rate recorded during exercise?  ABOUT 190
Has your Lactate Threshold (LT) been tested? Results: YES, 184
Has your Vo2max been tested? Results:  35.9
What are your average hours of sleep per night? 6-7.5

BARRIERS TO ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS

Indicate 'YES' to or BOLD ONE statement below for each sport that best describes what is standing between you and success in achieving your goals?

Swim
I find it difficult to finish the swim portion of a race.
In choppy open water swims I lose more time than others in my race category
My swim technique is poor
My swimming gets slower as the race progresses.
If I start the swim fast I start gasping for air and must slow down more than others in my race category.
At the end of the swim portion I'm unable to speed up to catch those slightly ahead of me.
 I FEEL GOOD ON THE SWIM (BETTER THAN I EXPECTED), BUT WANT TO GET FAST AND PART OF THAT IS LOSING WEIGHT NOT NECESSARILY PUTTING IN THE HOURS.  I TEND TO PASS A LOT OF PEOPLE DURING THE SWIM

Bike
Just finishing the bike leg of a race is difficult for me.
I am passed by lots of other triathletes on hills.  YES
I'm a "masher"--I push big gears slowly.
Even on flat courses my bike speed decreases near the end.
As the bike portion of a race gets shorter I do worse relative to those in my category.
In short races, I struggle to get over short "power" hills.  YES

Run
I usually find it difficult to finish long runs.
I run up hills slower than most in my race category.
I bounce up and down more than others when I run.
My running gets slower as the race progresses.
In shorter races, if I go anaerobic I'm forced to slow down.
I almost never win a sprint to the finish line.

I DON’T CURRENTLY RUN, BUT WHEN I DO, MY HEART RATE IMMEDIATELY RUNS UP TO THE 160-170-180

2009-11-10 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2506297

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Subject: RE: Anyone up for Racine 70.3? Could use support
Well Carrie,

The 70.3 is pretty ambitious, but that's why were here right.  I live in Kenosha, but have a bar in Racine.  My partner in the business and I set the 70.3 as our Big Goal as well, so your certainly not alone.  Were both pretty new to the sport, I was in 3 tri's last year and a number of small 5K/10K stuff, all with my wife who got me into the sport while training for the Trek Sprint last year. 

In your profile set-up if you put your city and state it will give you access to the Wisconsin thread.  Its a great thread, lots of local people competing and posting about local events. 

I too started with a weight-loss goal, and lost a bunch in the spring and early summer but the actual weight-loss tapered off as the training schedule got more intense.  So right now i'm doing less running biking and swimming and more circut training, and weights; but plan on picking it up after the first of the year.

I'm not a great runner and that part is hard for me as well, my wife is coming off of knee surgury so were not sure how much running she can do...  but, it is a really important leg of the race.  Because of that, I set a intermediate goal of running the Mt Pleasant half marathon, and Kenosha half marathon april 10 and may 1.  I figure if the 70.3 has a HM after a long swim and bike these 2 races early in the year should give me pretty good feedback on where I am at fitness-wise for the big race mid-summer. 

Good luck with your training, your certainly not alone.  I'll be on the look out  in the Wisconsin Thread for your training update posts and race results.

For me next stop in the 2 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Morn. in Kenosha, and then the 5k Jingle Bell run  Dec 5 in Racine.
2009-11-12 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2506297

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Anyone up for Racine 70.3? Could use support

Carrie - get in the Wisconsin Forum and introduce yourself.  A number of us have completed SOR and can give you a lot of information.  This coming year, though, is now an official IM 70.3, so price went up drastically.

One thing I HIGHLY caution about since I work in the computer field and deal with some security stuff:

NEVER, EVER give out your birthday over the Internet!!!!

Welcome to BT, and, once again, introduce yourself in the Wisconsin forum.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Anyone up for Racine 70.3? Could use support Rss Feed