General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginning rider question: Felt F90 or Trek 1.2? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-11 9:28 PM

User image

Subject: Beginning rider question: Felt F90 or Trek 1.2?
I am just getting started riding and am looking to buy an entry level bike for sprint/olympic distance tri's and possibly some 50m or century group rides ultimately.  After talking with the LBS, my best two options right now seem to be a slightly used 2007 Felt F90 for around $400 or a new Trek 1.2 for just under $900.  I can afford either, but am looking to get the best bang for my buck (and will still need to purchase pedals, gear, etc..).

Thoughts on the pros/cons of either or both?

Also as an aside, I have also been looking at used Giant TCR's (circa 2004 - they seem to get the best reviews) in that same price range.  If the LBS doesn't carry that brand, is it improper for me to ask them about finding a used bike in a brand they don't carry?  Being new to this, I certainly don't want to get off on the wrong foot with the LBS.  And for that matter, I don't know that the Giant would be a better purchase; I am just trying to reconcile everything I have read thus far.

Thanx for any help you can give me.

2009-11-11 10:14 PM
in reply to: #2509855

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Beginning rider question: Felt F90 or Trek 1.2?
Hi - There is really not too much difference technically between the Felt and Trek. Both are good, solid, entry bikes. Both aluminum, both Sora components, both basic whels, etc. The most important thing is how you feel on the bike and how you feel about the bike (no matter what people may say, aesthetics are important) .  The big factor is the price - you can get the Felt, which is just as good a bike, for half the price. I'd be leaning in that direction...
BUT....
If you are serious about doing a few Olymipic Tris and 5 mi. rides then I suggest you will very quickly grow bored of your entry road bike.  So, if you are willing to spend $900 I suggest getting a gently used road bike that you will not outgrow in 1 season. I'd look for something with Shimano 105 or maybe even Ultegera (or Sram Rival) components, a little faster wheels, etc.

BegginerTriathelete had good classifieds. Craig's List is an option (hit and miss)

2009-11-12 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2509855

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Subject: RE: Beginning rider question: Felt F90 or Trek 1.2?
I bought the F90 and love it.  I think its a better bike than the Trek and half the price.  Make sure it fits... Its not a great deal unless it fits...

The previous post makes a great point.  If you stay in the sport beyond a couple Sprints and Oly's there will be an upgrade in your future, not because the bike will hold you back or anything like that.  You'll get bike envy and wanna upgrade.  Hold on to the money you saved...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginning rider question: Felt F90 or Trek 1.2? Rss Feed