General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-10-12 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2512129

Toronto
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
good ideas.  I'm not using HR monitor.  I find the strap resticting under load, which causes me issues with my asmtha.  speaking of which,  I should get a new script.

It's a little early for me start packing,  I'm planning on two more weeks of hard work before a short but sweet taper.  I'll need some of that gear.

trip to the bike shop tonight,  see what needs to happen to make the front end safe after the stem ket go last Thursday.  bigger issue will be finalizing the setup and getting used to any new feel intime.

2010-10-12 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Start making lists and gathering things.

I keep excel spreadsheet with list for each IM, update it as I go along and make notes on it after the race, so I recall what I want to do differently next one.

Get your bike tuned up now, replace the chain if it needs it, have them check your cables and lube them if you are not replacing them, make sure you ride few hundred miles after tune up to make sure everything is good to go. Getting new tires for training or race wheels, they need about 150 miles on them to take off the protective layer and be most efficient.

Beyond batteries for your electronics delete data so your memory isn't full. At Canada on the run about 2 miles from the finish my 305 kept beeping memory was full..I was running hard and it was so annoying plus I lost all the data from the end of the race.

Order any special nutrition that you will need so you don't stress about it coming in time.

Last year my mom had heart bypass about 3 weeks out from IM Canada and I packed before I went to Minnesota for her surgery as I didn't know how long I'd be there. It was the best thing as all those little things you want to do to get ready take a lot of time and it was done when I came home and had about a week until we flew out to Seattle for the race.
2010-10-12 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN

Here's the latest additions:

Christoper Buck 1-ath-df- lg & 1 reg sup m
Eric O'Neal 1 ath-df xl
Jennifer DiCarlo 1 ath-df l
Kim Henry 1 atl-df m & 1 reg sup xl

2010-10-12 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Great suggestions on things to think of from you experienced folks!  Keep the suggestions coming.

I was just thinking I really need to finalized my lists and start laying out things I won't need.  Bike will be going to the shop next week for a new chain and a cleaning.  Thought about the new battery for the computer last week as my computer was doing strange things and someone asked when I replaced the battery last.   
2010-10-12 3:02 PM

User image

Elite
SE
Not to get you too paranoid or anxious, but last year I busted my proprietary seat post in AZ 2 days before the race and was really glad I had a backup with me. I also brought extra spokes which disappeared after the race, a backup saddle and helmet. Basically, I doubled up on everything tri-related I could.

This means multiple goggles, watches, bike shorts, etc. It was really over the top but I was very covered for any eventuality. This year I will try to do similarly but probably less drastically.

I also brought all my nutrition needs, in case there were no gu gels, carbopro or gatorade endurance available. Consider your sodium sources too.

You will need to charge your joule and di2s if you use them since you can't replace the batteries on them. Bring all your chargers. A garmin is useless with no charge/charger.

Just some extra thoughts....

2010-10-12 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3147961

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

Finally printed and read the race instructions from the Ironman Florida website - I am now fully ready for the Nov 7th start of the 2009 race ;o)

Got a question about swim course training swims - I arrive mid-day wednesday, sorta thinking about doing partial training swims (1 lap) on thurs & fri mornings.

Will the course be set up, are there any informal training swim times?

2010-10-12 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3148096

User image

Master
South Florida
millarg - 2010-10-12 4:54 PM

Finally printed and read the race instructions from the Ironman Florida website - I am now fully ready for the Nov 7th start of the 2009 race ;o)

Got a question about swim course training swims - I arrive mid-day wednesday, sorta thinking about doing partial training swims (1 lap) on thurs & fri mornings.

Gatorade hosts a swim both mornings...you can check in your bag with them and go swim...blue seventy has wetsuits you can demo...not sure times, but think it's like 7-10.  The course is not marked per se...think a few bouys set up way out
2010-10-12 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3148130

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Mimir98 - 2010-10-12 5:09 PM

Gatorade hosts a swim both mornings...you can check in your bag with them and go swim...blue seventy has wetsuits you can demo...not sure times, but think it's like 7-10.  The course is not marked per se...think a few bouys set up way out

gatorade is no longer a sponsor so I am thinking no more gatorade swim.  I heard (not sure if its true) someone died during one of the practice swims and now its no official.  That said I did Gulfcoast in May and I think there are tiny white buoys permanantly marking the course at PCB

RE: stuff................I'm kind of low maintainence.  Bring some tylenol for after the race   Have food or SOMETHING to look forward to in your special needs bag.  Someting to drive you the first 1/2 of the marathon.  For me thats diet coke.  I hace a way to keep it COLD all day. 

Best suggestion I can give you is to be preapared for weather anywhere between 31 and 81.  Bring layers, a cheep windbreaker you can throw away.  If you are going to be finishing after dark with me bring a long sleeved tech shirt at least for the run.  Also for those of us finishing after dark get a light for your hat or something.  Its pitch black back in the state park. 

2010-10-12 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3148186

User image

Master
South Florida
Socks - 2010-10-12 5:33 PM

Mimir98 - 2010-10-12 5:09 PM

gatorade is no longer a sponsor so I am thinking no more gatorade swim.  I heard (not sure if its true) someone died during one of the practice swims and now its no official.  That said I did Gulfcoast in May and I think there are tiny white buoys permanantly marking the course at PCB

RE: stuff................I'm kind of low maintainence.  Bring some tylenol for after the race   Have food or SOMETHING to look forward to in your special needs bag.  Someting to drive you the first 1/2 of the marathon.  For me thats diet coke.  I hace a way to keep it COLD all day. 

Best suggestion I can give you is to be preapared for weather anywhere between 31 and 81.  Bring layers, a cheep windbreaker you can throw away.  If you are going to be finishing after dark with me bring a long sleeved tech shirt at least for the run.  Also for those of us finishing after dark get a light for your hat or something.  Its pitch black back in the state park. 

Yea...I should pay more attention!  haha...I just do my thing, too Sue...tylenol for special needs (you told me that tip) and ROLAIDS...just in case.  I kept some mints at SN and in transition...all that sweet / salty stuff can taste like crap after a while...a mint for a few minutes was a welcome change.  I am a minimalist, so I'm probably not a good person to give advice
2010-10-12 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

For T2 I put one of those one time use disposable tooth brushes in my bag to get the sugar sweater coats off my teeth after 112 miles of sweet....blech.   ALos TUMS.  I usual y don't need them but they make me the most popular girl on the cours and I saved a guys race last year....all good karma

2010-10-12 5:19 PM

User image

Regular
Liverpool, England
Jay

The shirt looks fantastic. Really appreciate you getting them all sorted.

So sorry to hear of your injury and that you won't be joining us.

My order is correct btw.

jaro0606 = Jane Roberts

2010-10-12 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3147961

User image

Champion
MA
phatknot - 2010-10-12 4:02 PM Not to get you too paranoid or anxious, but last year I busted my proprietary seat post in AZ 2 days before the race and was really glad I had a backup with me. I also brought extra spokes which disappeared after the race, a backup saddle and helmet. Basically, I doubled up on everything tri-related I could.

This means multiple goggles, watches, bike shorts, etc. It was really over the top but I was very covered for any eventuality. This year I will try to do similarly but probably less drastically.

I also brought all my nutrition needs, in case there were no gu gels, carbopro or gatorade endurance available. Consider your sodium sources too.

You will need to charge your joule and di2s if you use them since you can't replace the batteries on them. Bring all your chargers. A garmin is useless with no charge/charger.

Just some extra thoughts....

Great advice...

First IM I brought an extra bike..just in case...for spare parts.

Last week my aerobar bracket for my arm rests broke and I took them off my old tri bike. Profile Design is sending me new ones.

I bring 2 or 3 sources of sodium with me on the bike (bento box, pocket and in my salt stick holder) and run and have a back up supply in sn bike and sn run. Without sodium I'm screwed.

Manuals for your gadgets downloaded on your laptop you bring or bring manual with me. I have had folks ask me questions about zeroing their torque for their Power Tap before a race as they forgot how to do it.

Getting new running shoes, order them or pick them up so you have them ready to go. Nothing like finding out they are out of stock or discontinued.
2010-10-12 7:51 PM

User image

Master
I put extra contacts and saline in my special needs bags.

I'm hoping that I just have severe shin splints and not anything worse in my right leg. It started hurting last week. I haven't run since last week and it hurts to walk and swim. This isn't what I had planned on happening 3 weeks out from the race.
2010-10-12 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3147226

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
Anyone know if the finish line will be the same as last year, over by that club (blanking on the name), as opposed to out front of the Boardwalk Beach resort hotel like it was in previous years prior to last year?

Buddy of mine emailed ironman info and got a reply that finish line would be in front of boardwalk this year as opposed to in front of spinnaker's as it was last year.  Makes it quite a bit easier to get to and from laketown wharf and/or shores of panama.
2010-10-13 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Great advice on getting ready for the race. It's almost here ! : ) For those travelling by plane for this race one advice would be to take xtra vitamin C and airborne before flying. It would really suck to get sick a few days before the race. Ditto on the contacts in SN too. I like Socks idea of something cold and to look forward too in SN on the bike. I'm planning on diet pepsi myself.

I know I haven't part of this forum , busy life i guess but training has been going awesome so far. No injuries and a focused training plan will make this one special I think.. 3rd IM. Third one is the charm. Can't wait..
2010-10-13 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3149030

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

nathaliemonique - 2010-10-13 8:51 AM Great advice on getting ready for the race. It's almost here ! : ) For those travelling by plane for this race one advice would be to take xtra vitamin C and airborne before flying. It would really suck to get sick a few days before the race. Ditto on the contacts in SN too. I like Socks idea of something cold and to look forward too in SN on the bike. I'm planning on diet pepsi myself. I know I haven't part of this forum , busy life i guess but training has been going awesome so far. No injuries and a focused training plan will make this one special I think.. 3rd IM. Third one is the charm. Can't wait..
If you want my keep the soda cold secret let me know

2010-10-13 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3149546

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Socks - 2010-10-13 10:33 AM

nathaliemonique - 2010-10-13 8:51 AM Great advice on getting ready for the race. It's almost here ! : ) For those travelling by plane for this race one advice would be to take xtra vitamin C and airborne before flying. It would really suck to get sick a few days before the race. Ditto on the contacts in SN too. I like Socks idea of something cold and to look forward too in SN on the bike. I'm planning on diet pepsi myself. I know I haven't part of this forum , busy life i guess but training has been going awesome so far. No injuries and a focused training plan will make this one special I think.. 3rd IM. Third one is the charm. Can't wait..

YES! I absolutely want to know the secret.  My body (or mind more accurately) craves a Coke Zero after or during a long ride or run.  Please do tell ...  Laughing
2010-10-13 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3149546

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX

Socks - 2010-10-13 10:33 AM  If you want my keep the soda cold secret let me know
dry ice???

here's a few things i didn't see anyone else mention:

MISC:
- small rolls of electrical tape, clear tape and duct tape (JIC)
- allen wrench multi-tool
- extra inner tubes, CO2s, etc (for both your T2 bag and in case you puncture in the days leading up to the race)
- tape pictures/quotes/etc onto your bars/stem/frame/wherever for motivation on the bike

T1 bag:
- bring toe warmers if your feet get cold easily like mine AND have them 'installed' on your shoes in your transition bag
- arm and/or leg warmers
- rain jacket (bring w/ you but only pack in T1 bag if forecast has high chance of rain)

Bike SN:
- if you're using a gel flask (like i will be) put an extra flask in case you drop the first one. good idea to double up on all your nutrition in here just in case

T2 bag: 
- include a large ziploc bag w/ a sponge/washcloth topped with ice. use to clean the sweat off your face, then grime off your legs/arms, the you can finish w/ your armpits. it oughtta feel amazing to get a "sponge bath" after 112 miles of cycling.

Run SN:
- like others have said, include your favorite beverage.
- also, i'd include your favorite candy bar or snack here as well. PB&J, Payday bar, M&Ms, etc. I plan to make my RSN into a scheduled "half time" where i wont feel guilty stopping and walking for a solid 4-5 minutes, giving me time to consume half of a Dr. Pepper and a candy bar and then let it settle, briefly. i think those two items will motivate me considerably.
- BAND AIDS!!!! in case your nipples are prone to chaffing like mine are. 
- an extra pair of socks

T3(transition from race to relaxation/rest lol):  
- if you're a beer lover like me (or if you love anything similar that you wouldn't wanna have during the race), make sure a family member has it ready to go at the finish line. just knowing that my dad will have an ice cold 2-3 pack of beers waiting for me at the finish line will also be a great motivator (for ME anyways).

that's all i can think of for now.

2010-10-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3149593

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

cjkelly0729 - 2010-10-13 11:44 AM
Socks - 2010-10-13 10:33 AM

YES! I absolutely want to know the secret.  My body (or mind more accurately) craves a Coke Zero after or during a long ride or run.  Please do tell ...  Laughing

1-Buy a cheep soft side coller you will not mind losing.  small one
2-Get some BIG ziplock bags the coller will fit in (2 gallon ones work)
3-Get some soft gel freezable ice packs
4-Buy your favotite soda in a resealabe plastic bottle.  get 2
5-Wrap the unfrozen gel freezer packs around an EMPTY soda bottle and secure with duct tape
6-Freze it
7-Race day undo the duct tape and retape around a full bottle of soda
8-Put the whole thing in the cooler ad fill with ice
9-Put that whole thing in a giant zip lock
10-off to special needs....................worked the last 2 years

2010-10-13 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

regarding stuff to pack:
I carried two tubes on my bike (3Co2)
and put an extra tube and couple Co2 cartridges in special needs bag. 

In '08 it was pretty chilly in the morning and I get cold easily.  I wore a throw-away sweatshirt over my wetsuit before the swim.  It made a difference.  I did end up recovering the sweat shirt. 

-- didn't need any of them, but I'd sure hate to sit and wait on SAG for an extra tube if I had more than one flat.

2010-10-13 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran

"1-Buy a cheep soft side coller you will not mind losing. small one
2-Get some BIG ziplock bags the coller will fit in (2 gallon ones work)
3-Get some soft gel freezable ice packs
4-Buy your favotite soda in a resealabe plastic bottle. get 2
5-Wrap the unfrozen gel freezer packs around an EMPTY soda bottle and secure with duct tape
6-Freze it
7-Race day undo the duct tape and retape around a full bottle of soda
8-Put the whole thing in the cooler ad fill with ice
9-Put that whole thing in a giant zip lock
10-off to special needs....................worked the last 2 years"

Cool. Thanks Socks ! Great idea. Did you let the coke unfizzed ? If not didn't have any problems with the carbonation ?

2010-10-13 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3150030

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

nathaliemonique - 2010-10-13 2:40 PM "1-Buy a cheep soft side coller you will not mind losing. small one 2-Get some BIG ziplock bags the coller will fit in (2 gallon ones work) 3-Get some soft gel freezable ice packs 4-Buy your favotite soda in a resealabe plastic bottle. get 2 5-Wrap the unfrozen gel freezer packs around an EMPTY soda bottle and secure with duct tape 6-Freze it 7-Race day undo the duct tape and retape around a full bottle of soda 8-Put the whole thing in the cooler ad fill with ice 9-Put that whole thing in a giant zip lock 10-off to special needs....................worked the last 2 years" Cool. Thanks Socks ! Great idea. Did you let the coke unfizzed ? If not didn't have any problems with the carbonation ?
  Nope and no problems I use diet.  Its my favorite thing

2010-10-13 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Thanks Socks.

Does anyone remember if Special Needs stops have ice? 

On the idea of cleaning oneself.  I also kind of feel refreshed after cleaning off a bit of sweat and road grime.  I bought a bunch of single wet wipe packets to throw in the bags, which may be easier than packing a sponge. 

Thanks everyone.
2010-10-13 5:51 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas
I know the run course is supposed to have cola. Anyone know if it's coke or some off brand cola? I definitely may take socks suggestion of packing a cold coke in SN on the run. Thanks for sharing your tip Sue!
2010-10-13 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3150596

User image

Champion
MA
trigirl74 - 2010-10-13 6:51 PM I know the run course is supposed to have cola. Anyone know if it's coke or some off brand cola? I definitely may take socks suggestion of packing a cold coke in SN on the run. Thanks for sharing your tip Sue!

Usually Sam's club cola. Do Ironman Canada and they have real Pepsi.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104