Highlands Ranch Community Association
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m 19s
Overall Rank = 77/235
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

One of the closest races to where I live that I've ever done, so I was able to sleep until 1:30 before the start time. Ate a bowl of cereal and got ready to go with Jamie.
Event warmup:

Never go anywhere with girls! :P We were running quite late and didn't even start on time, so needless to say, no warm up.
Run
  • 2h 02m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure what to expect going into this due to the foot injury I have been dealing with. I started out running with Jamie and the pain became quite intense pretty quickly, so I decided to try and tough it out and just hang with her. The pain eventually turned dull and stayed constant, so I was able to deal with it for most of the race. We kept a fairly constant pace and took short walk breaks at the drink stations. The late climbs kept us from breaking 2:00:00, but considering this was Jamie's first long running race and we didn't rest for it, I think she did an awesome job. I think shes on her way to breaking 4:00:00 at the Las Vegas Marathon in 3 weeks.

As for me, I'm starting to wonder if I have a stress fracture in the 4th or 5th metatarsal. The fact that the pain became managable was encouraging today, but it obviously affected my performance. With taper starting for the marathon, I won't feel guilty skipping runs if I need to and hopefully I'll be back to 100% for Las Vegas.
What would you do differently?:

Considering the circumstances, nothing, I really enjoyed running with Jamie today.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some bagels, grabbed a beer and headed to the car to warm up, then came back and watched the awards, where Jamie really cashed in. 2nd in her AG and she got a raffle prize for a free massage!

I have to say I was really disappointed with Old Chicago not have any vegetarian options with the pizza rolls they brought. But I guess I shouldn't complain about free food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Foot Injury

Last updated: 2009-11-08 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:19 | 13.1 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 77/235
Performance:
Course: Really fun course on the trails in Highlands Ranch. It was really challenging with lots of hills and tons of these little dirt bike mound things that were super annoying to run over.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-14 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: Wildcat Mountain 1/2 Marathon

2009-11-14 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2514237

User image

Subject: RE: Wildcat Mountain 1/2 Marathon
YAAAAY! I enjoyed the support from you! You did great toughing it out!

p.s. Girls are awesome! :P
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildcat Mountain 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed