General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A question for Mommies out there...about liquid fuel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-02 10:03 PM

St. Louis, MO
Subject: A question for Mommies out there...about liquid fuel
I am nursing my son (we are in the long slow process of weaning). I want to start using gel's for fuel etc. and am wondring if anyone has done this while nursing? If so any side effects on the nursee? I know caffine is transfered through breast milk but how do you know how much caffine is in the gel etc.? Any other foreseable problems?

Just curious...

Thanks in advance for any info!

Jenn

2005-06-02 10:16 PM
in reply to: #167727

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: A question for Mommies out there...about liquid fuel
some gels out there do not contain caffine at all, check the lables out. Some contain caffine and some are even double caffine, so look carefully. My hubby likes the double caffine that Power Bar make, I like the non-caffine that GU make. Drink plenty of water with them, and I would ask your ped` about gels and caffine when nursing to make sure.
2005-06-02 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
well in 1995 and 1996 while I was still nursing I used gels ask my doctor if it was ok ... he said it was find but not to make it a habit .. it about 1 /10 of what u take in is in the milk it self
Amy
2005-06-02 11:38 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
I haven't used gels, but I am also a nursing Mommy. This board was so encouraging for me, to push through the fear that came with training while still nursing. I was afraid my daughter would lack for milk or nutrients. Obviously this hasn't been the case. The big boobie factor has a been a bit of a pain...but I'm working through it with the help of a really good bra!

Good for you for training while nursing! There is a mini-club of us! And thanks for asking the gel
question. I would have never have thought of the caffiene issue. As I haven't touched any caffiene for over 7 years, it would have been an unwelcome addition to my gel!

Melanie
2005-06-03 4:28 AM

Veteran
Littleton, NH

I'm planning on using something w/ no caffine. 

2005-06-03 2:30 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Hi - I am totally new here - haven't even introduced myself on the Intro. page yet, but I am glad to see other nursing moms on here. I have 2 & 4 year old girls and an 11 week old boy. I just started training (the first time in my life I have exercised without it being required of me!) when he turned 6 weeks. Not only is he nursing - a lot - but he doesn't like the bottles of pumped milk yet. This makes it very hard to try a long bike ride!

Anyway, since I have just started I don't know anything about gels - I just wanted to say hello!

Amy

2005-06-03 2:35 PM

Broomfield, CO
Try checking out Honey Stinger. www.honeystinger.com They have gels that are all natural, and I believe most do not contain caffine, though they make some that do have it.
Hope that helps
2005-06-03 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

FIrst of all, welcome.  I am so impressed that your youngest is only 11 weeks and you're training.  I have 3 kids (8, 5, 3) and my husband and I both know that I'm a much better mother/wife when I make the time to exercise.  I wish I had know what a difference it makes earlier- I think when my youngest was only 11 weeks, I was still in the phase of hoping to get my teeth brushed by dinner time.

I agree with what's been said about avoiding caffeine.  I would think that non-caffeinated gels shouldn't pose any problem, but I would play close attention to milk supply.  Nursing a newborn around the clock is physically demanding and requires lots of calories.  If you are doing long enough workout sessions that you need to take gels, you're probably going to have to consume tons of calories.  Aside from all the warm fuzzy feelings and nutrition for the baby, one of the things I loved about nursing was how much food it takes to fuel the milkers!

Keep us posted on your training and good luck!

Debi

2005-06-04 10:33 AM

St. Louis, MO
Thanks for the info everyone I really appreciate it!!!

Good Luck with your training Amy that is awesome! Make sure you stay extra hydrated and eat tons to keep up your milk supply! You go girl! I was no where near ready to start exercising at 11 weeks post partum (I had a c-section though). Keep it up!

Thanks again!
Jenn
2005-06-04 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Most gels out there do not contain caffiene - those that do list it on their ingredient list.  Most do not list them in their nutritional information section though, so you gotta read the ingredients to be sure. 

For Clifshots those that contain caffiene are:
Mocha Mocha, Sonic Strawberry, and Cola Buzz

For Hammergels those that contain caffeine are:
Espresso, though the Chocolate one contains Chocolate Liquor --so who know about that one.

Gu gels almost all use their Herbal Blend which contains some caffiene, so all their gels contain some caffeine in them except Banana Blitz (which they market as caffeine free).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A question for Mommies out there...about liquid fuel Rss Feed