General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary spin bike vs trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-20 1:16 AM

Subject: Stationary spin bike vs trainer
Does a stationary spin bike give an effective workout compared to a trainer?

I currently have a mag trainer and am going through tyres very quickly and it's very frustrating! I've been weighing up between a spin bike that can be adjusted to similar measurements as my road bike or a fluid trainer but from what I've read, fluid trainers wear down the tyres as much as mag trainers. I'm not sure if that's correct though. I'll be riding at least twice a week indoors and they sell for a similar price.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.

2009-11-20 2:43 AM
in reply to: #2523149

User image

Subject: RE: Stationary spin bike vs trainer
They'll give you a workout but they will not help you with your bike time/speed/comfort because it's a completely different setup.

Get one of these:
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y2007

You can only use that tire on the trainer but that's what the tire's made for. If you only wrote back after you wore out that tire, we'd hear back from you in about 10 years or so.
2009-11-20 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2523149

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Subject: RE: Stationary spin bike vs trainer
My impression is that spin bikes provide a pretty good bike workout if you set it up as close to your normal position as possible.  After a hard ride on a spin bike my legs feel very similar to how they feel after riding my tri bike on my trainer.

That said, I still try to do most of my indoor riding on my tri bike + trainer since I figure that's a little closer to road riding than a spinner.  I've got a Kinetic fluid trainer and haven't had any problems with excessive tire wear, even without using a trainer tire.  I'm currently using an extra continental ultra sport tire that I had laying around.  I used the same tire last winter and no problems so far.  Once it wears out, I'll buy a trainer tire.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary spin bike vs trainer Rss Feed