General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-11-27 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2527415

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread
Thanks, I won't bother with the headlamp then.

2009-11-27 10:39 PM

Parker, Colorado
I've read in a couple of spots that IM AZ has issues with tire puncture. Did anyone who did it this year or 08 experience tire failure during the race?
2009-11-28 2:15 AM
in reply to: #2532182

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
LeahDD - 2009-11-26 6:50 AM I'm registered at the Hampton, based on recommendations in the 2009 Ironman Arizona Official Thread.  I will come in Thursday (driving from California) and will leave on Monday. 

I just booked at the Hampton as well.  Couldn't pass up being only 2 miles away, free shuttle to/from the race (and anywhere within 5 miles) and the kitchenette (so I'm not changing my diet by eating out constantly the days prior to the race).

I'll be arriving Thursday as well, but decided to spent the night Monday to give my body the extra day to recover before driving 14 hours to get home. 

Just curious about you leaving on Monday... do you plan to leave after the awards banquet?  That's from noon till 2pm isn't it?  Hopefully you have someone else to help with the driving.
2009-11-28 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
I've read in a couple of spots that IM AZ has issues with tire puncture. Did anyone who did it this year or 08 experience tire failure during the race?

Well, the course is in the desert with cactus and gravel everywhere. This is my home course and do the majority of my training rides on the Beeline. I am about to jinx myself here but I have yet to get a flat on that stretch of road.
2009-11-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2533608

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
zionvier - 2009-11-28 12:15 AM
LeahDD - 2009-11-26 6:50 AM

Just curious about you leaving on Monday... do you plan to leave after the awards banquet?  That's from noon till 2pm isn't it?  Hopefully you have someone else to help with the driving.

I'm hoping to have someone help with the driving, but he hasn't committed to it yet (not being in favor of this whole silly IM idea), but even if I have to drive myself, it is about a six hour drive and I think I can do it myself.  If I'm wrong, then I will move on to Plan B.  Not certain what Plan B is, but whatever it is, it will all work out. 

2009-11-29 11:41 AM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
I will be doing IMAZ again next year as well. I think the biggest thing I am going to do is to wait until later in the year to really pick up my training. I was burned out by October and sort of coasted into IMAZ. I still had enough fitness to finish at 13:11:48 but know I could have done much better. In Oregon in Oct./Nov. the weather gets bad and it gets dark early so you really have to be motivated to get out and train, and I was just plain burned out. I had California 70.3, Boise 70.3, and Lake Stevens 70.3 plus another half on my plate and a Marathon for last year and it was TOO much. I won't do my first half until probably Lake Stevens this year and then build off of that right up to the race. I also put about 10 pounds back on so that doesn't help either.

I was so psyched to do IMAZ after I signed up I went and booked all these events without thinking about what I was doing so just a heads up. It might work for others but not me. I plan on sticking to Olympics through the first part of the summer and then building up to Lake Stevens and probably the Black Diamond race in Washington and then up to IMAZ. November is really later in the year and its hard to keep that in mind when you are so motivated.

Lastly, a great decision by everyone who was able to sign up. I drove back home on Monday, about 26 hours over 2 days, and felt it everytime I got out at the rest areas but it hurt soooo good!!! It was just me the wife, our 5 kids, one niece one nephew and a English Mastiff named Kona Bear that is about 200 pounds. I was thinking about wearing my Ironman bracelet all year but the kids said I couldn't so I finally had to cut it off. But nobody can cut off the permagrin I'm still wearing. I know I'm and IRONMAN and i LIKE it!!!

I also shaved my arms and legs for the race, just had to, and now people ask why? Oh boy do they get the story. Don't ask if you don't want to know Anyway, at this point I believe I will probably do an Ironman a year until I can't do it anymore. I'm not trying to qualify for anything so no pressure but just really enjoyed the day. Having that constant reminder of the race in November keeps me minding my p's and q's for fitness and diet and I like that constant reminder.

Look forward to getting to know everyone better and seeing you at the race. It will be here before you know it.

2009-11-29 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy
I booked my lodging at a rental condo 1.5 blocks from tempe beach park through VRBO.  I am planning to stay for a week (thurs - thurs). Now, I have to make it home from Afghanistan and start training!!!!  I have had a rough tour this time and really looking to get home and start training for this event.  

I will be home in May, leaving me about 6 months of solid training.  I have my tri bike with my second stationary trainer (first one was destroyed!!!) over here to keep my cycling legs, but no running unfortunately.  

I look forward to hearing and sharing all of the training stories we experience.  It's going to be a great journey!!! 

Chris

2009-11-30 5:39 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

I am in for my 4th IM.  3rd time at IMAZ.  Tall order if I want to KQ.  Need to lop of about 30 minutes somewhere.  Great course and I have had no tire issues on either of my races at Arizona.  Best of luck in the training all. 

2009-11-30 7:43 PM

User image

, North Carolina

I'm in too!  This will be my first IM.  I volunteered at the finish line this year and loved celebrating with everyone as they came across.

2009-12-01 6:11 AM

Regular
Subject: Closest hotel to start
Is the Tempe Mission Palms/Host hotel the absolute closest place to stay? It appears to be the most expensive but if it was the closest I would be OK with that. My support crew likes that type of luxury and it's one less stress if you can walk to the start and walk back after the finish.

How long of a walk is it from the Mission Palms to the start (miles and/or minutes)? Is the finish line about the same amount of distance to walk?

For the people that stayed at the Mission Palms, was it worth the expensive price tag?

If not worth the $, where else would you stay that was within walking distance?

Thank you all for any insight you can provide!

2009-12-01 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2534545

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

cordova78 - 2009-11-29 10:08 AM I booked my lodging at a rental condo 1.5 blocks from tempe beach park through VRBO.  I am planning to stay for a week (thurs - thurs). Now, I have to make it home from Afghanistan and start training!!!!  I have had a rough tour this time and really looking to get home and start training for this event.  

I will be home in May, leaving me about 6 months of solid training.  I have my tri bike with my second stationary trainer (first one was destroyed!!!) over here to keep my cycling legs, but no running unfortunately.  

I look forward to hearing and sharing all of the training stories we experience.  It's going to be a great journey!!! 

Chris

Stay safe Chris! 6 months is the perfect amount of time to train. You will love being on a real bike!!!!  

2009-12-01 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2537078

User image

Subject: RE: Closest hotel to start
Looking at the hotels on the link through the IMAZ website, it seems there are several hotels within a 2 mile walk of the start. I think the cheapest price I saw was $79. Several of them have free airport shuttles if family/friends are flying in to watch.

I've never been to Tempe/Phoenix. But it seems to me that if I'm doing an IM, my family can walk a few miles a few times that day to cheer. Tongue out

Oh, and a friend told me that he stayed in Phoenix, away from all crowds when he raced it. Said that it worked great for him and was cheaper.
2009-12-01 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2537078

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
wasabi - 2009-12-01 4:11 AM Is the Tempe Mission Palms/Host hotel the absolute closest place to stay? It appears to be the most expensive but if it was the closest I would be OK with that. My support crew likes that type of luxury and it's one less stress if you can walk to the start and walk back after the finish. How long of a walk is it from the Mission Palms to the start (miles and/or minutes)? Is the finish line about the same amount of distance to walk? For the people that stayed at the Mission Palms, was it worth the expensive price tag? If not worth the $, where else would you stay that was within walking distance? Thank you all for any insight you can provide!

Posted this earlier in the thread, but to recap: The Mission Palms is the closest with the Courtyard Marriott almost the same. It's .4 miles from the side of the hotel to the Tempe Beach park entrance. It was worth it for our family to stay (young children and old parents). Had it been just the wife and I we would have stayed a few miles away for a lot less money. A year ago when volunteering we stayed at one of the Motel 6's a few miles away and had no issues.
2009-12-01 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2532448

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
jmac - 2009-11-26 9:53 AM  Wanted to make sure that I finished in 2009 so I finished with way too much left.

x2 as this was my result as well.  Always easier to look back and see how time could have been saved or raced faster. But, I had the same goal of just finishing in good shape for the first IM. Better that than being early in the run not knowing if you can go on any further! I enjoyed the day (even the swim) without ever pushing the pace.  Now having finished one I have both a future goal and a better understanding of the complete day.
2009-12-01 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2538452

Regular
Thanks for you reply Toddg! I thought you stated Mission Palms was one of the closest but I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something right at the race site. It looks like the Marriott is sold out already.

When I did IMWI we stayed at the Hilton closest to the race site and for us it was $ well spent. We normally don't spend that kind of $ on hotel rooms but I found it helpful to be as close as possible and not having to drive was one less thing to think about. That hotel was actually right at the race start and the race finish. It really helped to limit my activity leading up to the race also. I didn't have to walk far at all to visit the race expo, register, etc.

Thanks again for confirming the closest hotels. I was hoping there would be a hotel right at the race site like I had at IMWI. I think we'll go with the Mission Palms to keep the walking to a minimum prior to race day.

2009-12-02 1:20 PM

User image

The Marriott is still available at $159 per night but they are still not booking for the 22nd, day after the race.  The reason it was showing as not available is they only book so far in advance and so far it is up to the 21st.  Check back in a couple of days and you should be able to get in for the whole stay.

I am thinking about going the condo route but a lot of them are not taking reservations this early.  Not sure if it is worth risking it waiting until the summer to book a condo and losing out on the hotel deals.  Decisions, decisions  

Good luck with the Marriott, I was thinking of going there myself.  The half mile to race site is awesome!

2009-12-02 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2527435

User image

Veteran
Denver
I'm in....this will be my first IM, so very excited, but I have some Oly's done, a HIM, and will have 2 HIM's before the big one.  I am glad that I got into this one, at least I can drive to AZ and not have to worry about my bike arriving in one piece and the setup.  This is going to be a very interesting year...
2009-12-02 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2539976

Regular
Wow! Thanks for the info. I called Courtyard Marriott and they booked me through Saturday and then said to call in a couple weeks to get Sunday night also. There seems to be another Marriott close by but I confirmed with them that this is the Marriott closest to the race site.

Right now, the rates for Wednesday and Thursday are $159.00 and then it drops to $99.00 for Friday and Saturday. The internet said the rate was $119 for Friday and Saturday but the reservation agent said it was $99. I felt that was a big score unless he made a mistake. I guess it's a business hotel so weekends are cheaper. Very pleasant surprise.

That's a way better deal than Mission Palms. I'm sure Mission Palms is more of a resort but we just need a nice hotel close to the race and don't need the extra amenities that Mission Palms has.
2009-12-02 6:51 PM

I stayed at the the Aloft hotel this year and couldn't have been more pleased.  The hotel is not for everyone (it's a "W" hotels version of a Courtyard Marriot) but it was cheap ($109), close to the start, and basically brand new. 
2009-12-03 12:26 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the video coverage from IM Arizona 2009? I am looking for the finish line coverage that was shown on Ironman.com and Universal Sports. I have done a few IM races before, afterwhich, you were able to download your finish video. Aparently NA Sports does not offer this feature with their IM races.
2009-12-03 7:12 PM

User image

Wasabi:  Your welcome, glad I could help.  With the price to do these events it helps to save where you can.  I booked the Marriott for Saturday and will book for Sunday as well.  I wouldn't wait a couple weeks to call back though, should be available early next week.  We will be staying at another hotel until Saturday to save a few bucks and then move to the Marriott the day before the race.

I am still considering the condo as there are a number of them close to the race as well, they are a bit pricier but it would be a much nicer place to stay.  I will book the hotels now and then cancel them if I get a good deal on a condo this summer.  Gotta have the hotels as a safety net 

2009-12-04 12:44 AM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
I live in Phoenix area and work in Tempe.  I am going to get a room for a couple of nights close to the race start to make it easy on my husband and young children.  My picks are Tempe Mission Palms (sold out when I called) and Courtyard Marriott on Ash.  Both are within walking and you have a ton of choices for food.   
2009-12-04 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2527729

User image

Master
Dallas
zionvier - 2009-11-23 3:35 PM I'm in! first IM for me! I should have a total of 3 HIMs under my belt by then. 

Is it strange to have butterflies a full year in advance?

You'll have them all year long, and before the race it's gonna get worse. Hehe.
2009-12-07 9:53 AM

User image

In for my first IM as well. 

I was able to call and get reservations at the Mission Palms this morning.

Can anyone confirm how far of a walk it is from the Four Points Sheraton to the start/finish?

Good luck to everyone!!!    Here's to a great year of hopefully injury free training. 

Ryan
2009-12-09 1:31 AM
in reply to: #2545986

User image

Expert
Gilbert
austiry - 2009-12-07 7:53 AM In for my first IM as well. 

I was able to call and get reservations at the Mission Palms this morning.

Can anyone confirm how far of a walk it is from the Four Points Sheraton to the start/finish?

Good luck to everyone!!!    Here's to a great year of hopefully injury free training. 

Ryan

My guess on distance from Four Points to start is 3.2 miles. 

Called Courtyard Marriott and got my rooms for Saturday and Sunday.  Rate was 199!  It is a very Convenient location.  Of all the hotels Mission Palms is by far the closest and easiest to th race start.   
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 28