General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit suggestions for tall skinny female runner? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-23 5:19 PM

New user
Long Beach--So Cal!!!
Subject: wetsuit suggestions for tall skinny female runner?
I had stopped into my LTS to start looking at full wetsuits and was very disheartened. I thought that there were quite a few long distance runners that transitioned into triathlon? Since I have a more typical distance runner's build (5-8, 120 but still have some hips...) I thought that getting a suit wouldn't be an issue. I was wrong...

On the medium small size blue 70, this fit like a second skin through my upper body but was way short on the legs and arms. The LTS owner said that a medium would end up being baggy and hold too much water...

Are there any recommended suits out there for the distance runner build?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2009-11-23 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2527943

User image

Expert
NoVA
Subject: RE: wetsuit suggestions for tall skinny female runner?
Have you looked at the two piece wetsuits??  That way you could find a top that fit and a bottom that fit instead of trying to get it all right in one...
2009-11-24 8:34 AM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
X2 on the 2 piece. 

I have the exact opposite problem.  Short and stocky... i'm almost 3 sizes apart top to botttom. 

www.desoto.com  great service people, send and email and they'll get you set-up.  They have suits at a variety of price points.
2009-11-25 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque

I can commiserate.  As a 6'0" female, it is VERY hard to find a wetsuit that fits correctly.  My biggest problem is that I have a very long torso... I rented a Blue Seventy wetsuit for my first tri, and used a size WLA, which felt okay when I tried it on originally, but when I swam in it the majority of the suit was too big and baggy, and I felt like I was completely being split up the middle!  It was waaaaay too short in the torso!  ouch!!

I ended up getting a Zoot Zenith wetsuit, which seems to work really well for my tall frame.  They're pricey, but I found a good close-out price on last year's model.  The nice thing about the Zenith is that it has a panel construction, so the panels allow for better stretching of the material and it prevents the suit from being way too tight in the shoulders, etc.  For me, the length of the arms/legs isn't a huge issue... even if the sleeves end up being too short, as long as the suit fits the way it's supposed to, I'll settle for cold wrists. 

2009-12-07 4:29 PM

User image

Sunny San Diego
Hello and sorry for the slow reply.

If the previous post recommending the T1 Wetsuit are not enough to convince you that our two-piece design will work for you, perhaps knowing that if you are not happy with how the T1 works after testing it, you can return it for a complete refund.

Below is our 100% satisfaction guarantee:

T1 WETSUITS 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE

De Soto Sport offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of our wetsuits. If you are not satisfied with one of our wetsuits at the time you receive it, or if it does not perform to your satisfaction within the first 14 days of the purchase date, return it for repair, replacement, or refund.

So, you risk nothing at all but the time to test it. Please send me an email if you would like help getting properly sized.
2009-12-07 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
ummmmm well I think that says just about everything about the company/founderCool  Doesn't seem like there's anything to lose!

2009-12-08 5:02 PM

New user
Long Beach--So Cal!!!
Thanks all for the feedback. I have a feeling that the DeSoto 2 piece might be the way to go for me... Just as an educate the newbie question (so forgive my running bias), don't most triathletes come from distance running backgrounds--and if so, why aren't more suits designed for those type of lean bodies?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit suggestions for tall skinny female runner? Rss Feed