Subject: RE: DNF :(
Yeah Joesph!

2005-06-04 11:01 PM
in reply to: #168507

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

As others have said, don't give up just because you had one bad experience.  When I first started OW swimming, I remember it was really freaky for me too, here's what helped me, maybe it will help you.

(1) DO practice OW swimming with a buddy or two.  The first few times you do it, your buddies should be there to support YOU.  In other words, not swim off and leave you.  If you start feeling freaked out, they should stay with you and talk you through it.  I'd take the other posters up on their offer of beer drinking OW swimming with you.

(2) Remember that you can always do another stroke!  Dog paddle is fine.  Breast stroke is fine.  Even just treading water is fine.  Sometimes just getting your head out of the water helps a lot.

(3) If you DO stop and tread water, don't use this as an excuse to quit.  Tell yourself you'll swim to the next buoy and see how you feel then.

(4) Don't try and swim in the middle of the pack the first few times you swim at an event.  It's hard enough without feeling like you've been dropped in a washing machine.  Swim off to the side.  Swim widely around the buoys.  It's better to be a little slower and finish the event, than to get freaked out, and quit.

My biggest thing about OW is that it is a lot different than swimming in the pool.  There are no lane lines, in fact, usually you can't even see the bottom!  It's hard to judge your progress.  You site the buoy, swim 10 strokes, site the buoy, swim 10 strokes, repeat, repeat, repeat and yet, that damn buoy never seems to get closer.  When I swim in OW, I try to get in the mindset of just swimming, in a rhythm, with relaxed breathing.  I site the buoy, but try not to expect that it will seem any closer than the last time I saw it.  If you can do this part right it is the best part of OW swimming.

2005-06-05 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Sorry to read about your bad race experience. Glad however, to read that you aren't ready to give up (even if bear is looking for a deal on some pedals). Relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, relax... Oh yeah, and relax. You can do it!!

-Frank
2005-06-05 7:47 AM
in reply to: #168587

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
I'm glad you've decided to try again. Your logs show you can do the distance. I had a similar situation in my first race. Went out way to fast, panicked, the only thing that got me through it was a guy behind me, doing the breast stroke, swam up to me and said: "If you quit it's just as far back to shore as it is to the finish." I ended up following him doing breast stroke the rest of the way.

Souinds to me like it was a total mental freak out. You seemed to have psyched yourself out of the race in the car to the venue. You CAN do the distances!! You can, if you doubt yourself look at your logs! You've done them.

I checked outyou logs and you've started doing what someone suggested for me, and that is swimming with your eyes closed. It's freaky but it seems to work. I swim several laps with my eyes closed, and recently I did an ocean swim (granted it was in the calm of the caribean) but I was much calmer then when i attempted it in my race.

Most of all remember what Dorey in "Finding Nemo" always said : "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, Just keep swimming" Every stroke you take, regardless of form or speed, is one step closer to your goal. Always concentrate on going forward, at any speed, eventually you will get to the finish line.
2005-06-05 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Glad you're gonna stick with it!!  As a fellow OWS freaker, I feel your pain!! You CAN do it, you WILL do it!!  Get with the BTers and watch Finding Nemo!!   Just keep swimmin', what do we do, we swim, swim, swim...
2005-06-05 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, NC
Hve you done a pool-based tri? If not, perhaps this would be best to start with. Also, if you could find a larger (50M) pool to swim in that could really help. get some friends to swim with you when you do your OW practice, and have them swim right next to you as simulation.

Were you wearing a wetsuit? YOu should. Rent one, borrow one, whatever. Even if the water is too warm. I believe USAT rules state that if the water is over 78, but under 82, you can wear a wetsuit, you just can't qualify for a placed finish, which obviously isn't an issue. even if I'm wrong there, you could just check with the race director and see if they'll allow it. That way you can just float when things get a bit hairy.

It's only water. You're 90% made up of water. It's like a part of you. Just f$%^#ing do it.

2005-06-05 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville

Good attitude Joeseph! Just get out there and get comfortable, do as many OW's as it takes. You will smoke the swim once you are comfortable with the open water, because you know you can swim well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF :( Rss Feed  

of 2