General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from a newbie in Indiana Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-29 1:53 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: Greetings from a newbie in Indiana

I'm turning 40 this spring and will be doing my first sprint tri in April.  I enjoy running and cycling but never thought much about swimming.  My twin sister did Ironman Louisville and I was so proud and inspired by her amazing accomplishment.  She convinced me to start training for a sprint tri.  Problem is,  I haven't swam in over 30 years.  I just started a month ago and needless to say, I need a TON OF PRACTICE!!  Completing my swim will definetely be the goal.  I'm motivated but a little nervous.  Luckily my first tri will be in a lap pool.  I'm hoping to learn a lot and get some good advice on this website.   Cheers! 

2009-11-29 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2534614

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Greetings from a newbie in Indiana
Claire, Welcome!  I live in Lafayette.  There is a lot of good info on this site and there is a good size group of Indiana triathletes also.  Try to aim for one(or more!) of the Eagle Creek Tri's this summer.  And good luck with your training!
2009-11-29 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi Claire and welcome to BT!  Congratulations on your decision to become a Triathlete and congratulation to your twin sister to be such a great athlete and inspiration to you.  This is the right place to start.  Make sure you check the articles area and the videos.  Regarding the swimming, don’t worry, you will remember and sooner or later and, with practice, you will be an Ironman or Ironwoman, too.  After all it is in your genes .  Good luck and have fun!  Nelson

2009-11-30 2:27 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Thanks for the encouragement!  I've read some good info on swimming.  I'm definetely utilizing everything I can to improve the swim.  It will take time but I know I'll get there.  Smile
2009-12-27 9:28 PM

Saw where you posted on my "noobie" intro page and wanted to return the howdy.
I'm looking to hit some smaller tri's as well before I plunge into the 1/2 IM. Looking to hit the pool this week at our local HS here in Crawfordsville. It's suppose to be an Olympic size pool and touted as one of the better pools in Indiana, we'll see. Right now a mud puddle would be a step up from what I've been doing lately. Anyhow, good luck on your journey and stay in touch.
2009-12-28 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2579464

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
DougJ - 2009-12-27 9:28 PM Saw where you posted on my "noobie" intro page and wanted to return the howdy.
I'm looking to hit some smaller tri's as well before I plunge into the 1/2 IM. Looking to hit the pool this week at our local HS here in Crawfordsville. It's suppose to be an Olympic size pool and touted as one of the better pools in Indiana, we'll see. Right now a mud puddle would be a step up from what I've been doing lately. Anyhow, good luck on your journey and stay in touch.

Doug, Lafayette/West Lafayette has a triathlon club that is just in it's second year.  Nice group of people.  You can check us out at http://triathoners.ning.com/

We meet once a quarter for club meetings and we are always organizing group runs and rides.  We also do some OWS when we can.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from a newbie in Indiana Rss Feed