General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss - young vs old, men vs women Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-02 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: Weight loss - young vs old, men vs women

I often hear that it's harder for older people to lose weight than it is for younger people, and harder for women than for men.  Is there really any truth to this?  Personally I don't buy it and think they are just excuses, but would be hearing reasons why it might actually be true.

My very unscientific and uneducated opinion is that there really are no differences in difficulty if the different groups are all eating a healthy, balanced diet. 

Yes, older people have a slower metabolism, but that just means that they need fewer calories to get throught the day, right?  So if they eat less they should be able to lose or maintain weight as easily as younger folk.  (FWIW, I started to gain weight in my early 40s so I'm assuming that's when slower metabolism starts kicking in.)

The average man is larger than the average women and also has more muscle, so he'll naturally burn more calories than the average women.  So the average women needs to eat less than the average man.   Simple as that?  I understand that there are some biological reasons that a woman's body tries to maintain a certain amount of fat, but I don't think there is a biological reason that her body tries to maintain too much excess fat.

All this came up since my in-laws were just in town visiting.  They're in their 70s/80s and don't have a clue why they're both gaining weight.  They get in little to no exercise (which is fine, I suppose), but my MIL simply eats more than I do and both make a few (not many) poor diet choices.  They seem to think it's just age and gender....

Brian

2009-12-02 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2540198

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Weight loss - young vs old, men vs women
Yes, they "just" have to eat less but think about it... take a woman with a BMR of 1200 (yes, they exisit) who works at a desk job. ALL her weight loss is based on activity since she can't really cut back on food further. Now take a muscular man with a BMR of 2500. That's 1300 calories difference or about 3+ hours worth of exercise the woman might have to do just to get to the mans "burn" before he even gets out of bed and does any exercise.

This is why people say harder. It's not un-doable, but it takes more time for some people. For example: formerly obese people tend to have a slightly lower BMRs then never obese people... hence one of the reasons (besides behavioral) it's harder for them to keep off weight.

I think there ARE people who make excuses but it doesn't mean they aren't right it might be slightly more challenging, but nearly all of us can lose weight given the right balance of in/out calories.

2009-12-03 8:52 AM

User image

Regular
Franklin, VA
Subject: RE: Weight loss - young vs old, men vs women
I read an interesting article once that was delving into the subject of aging and slower metabolism.  It was on a bodybuilder website, which I note just to reveal any bias.  But their take on the subject, backed up with studies and data, was that the major cause of a slower metabolism as you age is due to the loss of muscle mass.  They had research showing the metabolism of a young man and an older man with the same muscle mass.  I was surprised as there was only a slight difference in their metobolic rate.

Just some food for thought...
2009-12-03 1:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss - young vs old, men vs women Rss Feed