General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another newbie from NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-05 4:53 PM

New user
Cary, NC
Subject: Another newbie from NC
Hello to everyone form North Carolina.
I started "training" about a year ago. By that I mean I started swimming, biking or running on my own a few times a week without a plan or any idea what I was doing except that I wanted to do a Tri sometime in 2005.
I was over 50 lbs heavier then and boy was I slow at everything (I still am slow, but not quite as slow
When I moved to North Carolina a few months ago from Iowa I actually started looking on the internet for information, (duh) and found this great site www.beginnertriathlete.com and a free clinic that TriMyCoach, a local coaching service, was putting on.
With help from the great people at TriMyCoach and here I was able to race in and finish my first Triathlon last week at the Woodlake Triathlon in Vass, North Carolina.
Incidentally this is a great state for Tris. There are over 20 races a year with a seperate series aimed at newcomers. Check out www.set-upinc.com for more info.

My next race will be the Triangle in July in my home town.

Dave

2005-06-05 5:23 PM
in reply to: #168982

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Another newbie from NC
Woo Hoo! The NC tri family continues to grow. Welcome and congrats on completing your first tri. There's a bunch of us making a showing at Triangle. We'll see you there!
2005-06-05 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Greetings and welcome! We are definitely getting a HUGE NC contingent now.

Edited by fitphd 2005-06-05 5:44 PM
2005-06-06 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Gotta love it! You guys up in the triangle need to start some group training!
2005-06-08 2:44 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Hi Dave-

How did you do in your first tri? My first one will be at the Triangle in July, I'm also gonna do Wilmington in September. I live in North Raleigh and work in RTP. I will be BOP for sure, maybe we could get together for a ride or run.
2005-06-08 6:50 AM

New user
Cary, NC
Hi Chris
My first try went really well, except for the first half of the swim, I even did the run and finished with a big smile on my face. I was hoping for a time in the low to mid 1:50s and ended up finishing at 1:44 so I felt pretty good about that.
During the bike I even had a couple guys tell me I was doing really well for somebody on a mountain bike, as they blew by me on their tribikes.
I'm pretty sure I will try to do either the Wilmington race or the Pinehurst race, I haven't decided which one yet. I am thinking of doing the Duke Liver Half, I am only two weeks into the Half IronMan training, so we'll see how the training goes once I get deeper into it before I make up my mind for sure.
Getting together for a ride would be great, although you might have to do a lot of waiting for me since all I have is a mountain bike with street tires. My schedule is pretty open - morning, day or evening. Email is [email protected].

Talk to you later

Dave

2005-06-08 7:23 AM

Veteran
Muncie, Indiana
I know the screen says Muncie Indiana, but in three weeks I will be moving to Tar Heel Country-Chapel Hill to be exact. Good luck at Triangle Everyone! Setup Inc is a really impressive organization.

Once I get in and get settled I am going to have to look over the calender and see when and where I can race too.

-Micky
2005-06-08 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey NC BTers,

It seems like a number of you are participating in the Triangle Tri. I am not but I live in Raleigh and will come out to support the cause.

My big question is: Should we have a cookout or something after the race is over? I am happy to coordinate it, given that I am not racing.

Let me know if you are interested!
2005-06-08 8:11 AM

Veteran
Muncie, Indiana
I would be interested. Keep me posted on the details. Since I will have only been in town for five days by that point, it would be really nice.
2005-06-08 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Welcome to BT, Dave!  I moved from Cary to N. Raleigh a little over a month ago, and got married, so my tri season schedule is completely upside down right now.  LOL

Shannon, I am also not going to be racing the Triangle Sprint.  I should be available, even if it's in the company of a kid or two.  I'd be glad to help with setting up a cookout!  I don't want to miss this chance to meet so many of the area triathletes!  Let me know! 

2005-06-08 8:59 AM

New user
Cary, NC
I know I would be up for some food after the race, so count me, and my wife, in if you want to plan something. Also, since I'm new to the area, it would be nice to meet some more people, especially with similar intrests. Well at least one similar interest.

Dave

2005-06-08 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
Apex NC
Welcome to NC !!! and BT. I will be an old novice at the Triangle.. I will give some people competition for the DFL spot. Count me in for a get together. Also there a few of us doing the Wilmington race, it will be nice seeing some BT people there.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another newbie from NC Rss Feed