TRI-OKC
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 12s
Overall Rank = 37/140
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This pre-race routing was quite stressful. The night before was Oklahoma stormy (without the twisters). In inclement weather lasted until about 3am in El Reno. The race directors scurried to change the course to avoid the mud and finally place the bouys for the swim. Personally, it was a little stressful as well. I managed to get the wife up at about 5:20am for the 35 minute trek to Lake El Reno. Everything was packed the night before (big surprise), so I didn't have that to worry about. Once we arrived at the race site, things got a little more hairy. I was pumping up the tires to 100 psi (like a good boy) and when I released the pump from the rear tire... psssssssss. The top of the stem broke off and it released all 100 psi in about 3 seconds. I frantically ran around looking for someone from my TRI-OKC club that could maybe help me out. A young lady named Amanda S. (who happens to do this triathlon thing for money) cut short her warmup in order to give me a tube and change the tire for me. I'm continually amazed by the generosity and great sportsmanship among triathletes. Team Powerbar... you've got yourself a great triathlete. As far as nutrition goes... I had a clif bar, drank a bunch of water, and sipped some gatorade.
Event warmup:

Almost nothing. I'm not the biggest fan of warming-up before a triathlon except for some stretching. I don't have the greatest endurance and I pretty much use the first part of the swim as my "warm-up".
Swim
  • 23m 5s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

About 140 swimmers all starting at the same time. I had a plan with another club member where he was going to lead first and I was going to pass him and pull him along, but it fell through about 15 seconds into it. As a whole, the swim went well. I think I was #11 out of the water. It was however, extrememly difficult to site bouy #2. I had swimmers on my left and right, so I just stayed in the middle and hoped for the best.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I think the whole thing with drafting in the water is a bit overdone. Evertime I got close enough to another swimmer, it took more energy to monitor them and avoid banging into him/her than I could have saved by drafting.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

During practice, I had a relatively easy time pulling the suit off, but that was with full strength in my arms. You know how you roll out of bed and struggle to lift ANYTHING? Yeah, it's like that.

I don't know... more body glide on the shins?
Bike
  • 1h 15m 5s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got the bike to the line and was able to mount, I felt like the memories of the tiring swim were gone. I got up to speed pretty quickly and I weaved through the golfcourse near the lake until reaching Rt. 66. A couple of the hills were challenging, but I never got off the big ring. A few people passed me and I passed a couple, but I was satisfied overall. Thank God the wind was only about 8-10mhp today.

Drink more!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Great to see the wife there. I had a good spot near the fence and my wife was able to get close enough to talk to me. She gave me all sorts of encouragement and told me how great she thought I was doing. I can't even remember a whole lot about my transition except for the interaction with my wife.

Nothing.
Run
  • 54m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Terrible. I felt like my legs were moving independently - without obeying instruction from me. Weird. My goal was to get a good pace for the first lap - hopefully less than 10 minutes/mile - and kick 'er up a notch for the last half-lap. My goal was 2:45, so I based my pace on achieving that. When I took off from T2, my watch read 1:42, so I felt good about things.

I would train a whole lot more. I definitely felt improved with my run, but I need to get a whole lot better.
Post race
Warm down:

Hands-on-knees for a while, then hugging the wife for a bit. At times, I made weak attempts at stretching, but they didn't take. I did chear on a bunch of my teamates though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to train harder with my running and overall endurance. My swim and bike are where I think they should be +/- a minute or so.

Event comments:

Great job with this inaugural race. Chip timing would have been nice, but I'm not bitter.

Last updated: 2005-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:05 | 1500 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 11/140
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Ironman wetsuit
Course: They had a big triangle set up, but the middle leg (one bouy to the other) was quite a bit larger than the other two.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:05 | 25 miles | 19.98 mile/hr
Overall: 21/140
Performance: Good
Out and back on historic Rt. 66.
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90s
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:00 | 06.2 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 75/140
Performance: Average
Course: There was this winding running path half-way around the lake (we were supposed to go all the way around before the storm) and we made two laps to make 10k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-05 7:31 PM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Subject: Rt. 66 Olympic Tri

2005-06-06 6:05 AM
in reply to: #169058

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Subject: RE: Rt. 66 Olympic Tri
Nice Swim and Bike!

Its great having a good support crew, isn't it.

Good Job,

Randy
2005-06-06 4:22 PM

Lawton, Oklahoma
Nice race. I was there! They didn't tell me there were going to be professionals! No wonder I got my ass kicked. Did you see the guy doing it with a prostetic leg? What an inspiration!
2005-06-06 11:15 PM
in reply to: #169785

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Yeah, great race! I think Amanda was the only "pro" there, but that French dude is well on his way. I think he averaged 5 and change per mile. Whew... not in this lifetime. Hey, are you in Tri-Okc? We always see that guy with the prosthetic leg running around Lake Hefner. Heck yeah it's inspirational!
2005-06-07 7:29 AM

Lawton, Oklahoma
No, I am not in the Tri OKC, I am from down in Lawton. I just couldn’t justify driving up to OKC for meetings and training 3 or 4 times a month. I should though, seeing how I’ll try the ½ Redman in September.

We had some pretty fast triathletes at Route 66, I was impressed!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rt. 66 Olympic Tri Rss Feed