General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Need something to look forward to. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-07 5:58 PM

Regular
Subject: Need something to look forward to.

Hello...I'm a little nervous to be posting!  I'm registering for my first sprint triathlon that will be in July.  I am very overweight and am going through a very sad separation with my husband, and I finally decided that I needed something to look forward to.  I don't need to go into too much detail, I'm sure others can commiserate with me on both issues!  Anyway, I'm determined to lose more weight and have my mind focused anywhere but toward my broken heart! 

I started "training" last week, and I think I did pretty good because I can barely walk this week!  I'm looking forward to improving my health, losing weight and at the very very least...FINISHING this triathlon! I'm excited! 

2009-12-07 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2547043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Need something to look forward to.
Hello! Everyone is very supportive here and there are a ton of wonderful people from beginner to expert. Sorry to hear about your situation. Anyways, glad you found the site and there are a lot of great resources and wonderful people here.
2009-12-07 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Welcome to BT,

A lot of supportive folks on this site, many of which have gone through (or are going through) the same stuff you are.  The training I did last year before my first tri was definitely "coping" medicine.  I lost most of my weight in the pool (by choice) because it was good cardio and easy on the joints).  Then when I lost 30 lbs or so I hit the treadmill and eventually the bike.  I bit the bullet and got a gym membership to have access to a pool.  The spin (cycle) classes are enjoyable since others join in your pain and it's good to talk to others when you're dealing with life's issues (therapy to some extent).

Stick with it as you will be soooooo happy in the end that you did.  Even during your first (and hopefully subsequent races) it's wonderful how supportive and helpful the other competitors are.  This triathlon community is pretty darn cool.

Good Luck with your training and don't forget to log your first race!

2009-12-07 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
*hugs*

Taking the first step - registering for a triathlon makes you really work for that goal! I'm also doing my first triathlon in 2010 as well. We'll work our butts off together...and lose weight in the meanwhile, that's a big bonus!

Welcome to BT! The people here are so nice and gracious, so they'll help you with anything you need. I'm so looking forward to read about your training!

2009-12-07 7:11 PM

New user

Cincinnati, Ohio
Gold member
Good for you! Register for your race! Enjoy the journey Each week will bring you a sense of accomplishment and your race, the big pay off. Good luck to you.
2009-12-07 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
That's great! I di the same thing. I lost 100lbs this year and just did my 3rd tri this past Saturday! The best investment I have made so far was a book from Dr. Phil Maffetone called "Training for Endurance". My wife's back doctor recomended it to me. He did 6 Ironman's and did the Escape from Alcatraz tri twice. Within a month I shaved 2 minutes of my 5k time. It completely opened up my distances in all 3 disciplines! It kinda sounds wierd but just follow what he's talking about. I can already tell it works!!!! I quit getting as sore and your not working out with "the hammer down" all the time. Just approach it with an open mind! Good Luck, Todd

2009-12-07 7:50 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Welcome. 

You came to the right place.

Just go slow with your training. The idea with you first race is to finish.  You can win our AG in the second race.

Train-Race-Enjoy

Kevin

2009-12-07 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Phil Maffetone has other books as well. I'm reading "Eating for Endurance" now and will be reading In Fitness and in Health next. He's has his own website and is also on Facebook. His website has loads of health information. Just always focus on doing it healthy and the fitness will follow!!!!!Todd
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Need something to look forward to. Rss Feed