General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Restart Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-07 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: Restart

Well after two years of not racing due to a hectic life and work schedule, I want to give it a second try.  Heres some of the back story.  In 2007 I completed my first 3 sprint races, then my military life got in the way.  I moved to TN, and have been unable to consistently train since then.  Although I have been working out, there has been no structure at all.  My log shows what I have been doing for the last couple months, but from Jan - Sept I was not logging my workouts.  During that time I was rarely running, but I was strength training nearly every day.   I started to pick up my running again in Oct, and am ready to start preparing for several sprint races in 2010.

For my 2007 races, I did just enough training to complete the races, but was not competetive at all.  I have a swimming background, however I have not been a competetive swimmer in a very very long time.  When I am consistent with my swim training, I can avg around a 1:40/100 pace in the pool without much effort.  With that said, my swim endurance is not there, as I have not been swimming.

I have never been a cyclist, and have no experience other than the inconsistent training in 2007.  Cycling is the area I can improve the most.  I enjoy running, but I am not fast.  I consitently train in the 9:00-10:00 mi range, and my only 5k race (early 2007) was 25:08.  My MHR, based on a 1.5 mi PT test (10:05) is 205.

I don't want to repeat the poor training habits of 2007, and being a fairly fit and athletic person, I feel I would see a lot of improvement over 2007 with proper consistent training.

I have looked at the BT training plans, and I'm not real crazy about them.  I have the Friel TTB, as well as many other books, but I really dont know where to start, especially with the bike training.  I feel I can get to an acceptable swimming level fairly quickly based on my previous experience.  As far as running, I can comfortably run without pain anywhere from 60-80 minutes.

If you have any recommendations for how I should approach my training I am all ears.  At this point I am looking for advice, I hope to begin a formal plan once I identify my races for 2010, which will probably begin in May and run through Aug/Sep.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me, and please forgive my stupidity in some of my training in the past.  I know I broke the 10% rule in Nov....alot.......and I backed off my running to prevent injury since then....

2009-12-08 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2547091

User image

Expert
Bucks County
Subject: RE: Restart
what about the BT plans and Friel's plan puts you off from suing them?

the basic of training plan are build a big endurance base slwoly building up the long rides and runs gradually THEN add in the speed work. taper then race. going too far or too hard too soon can lead to an injury.
2009-12-08 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
CenTex
I've have good success with the Spinervals video series.  You need an indoor trainer but I made substantial improvements in speed and endurance with these.  The workouts go anywhere from 45 minutes to more than 3 house and cover different aspects of cycling, from strength building to fast legs.

Good Luck!

Edited by cornchexs 2009-12-08 1:44 PM
2009-12-08 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2548407

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
The BT Plans just seem too generic.  I don't doubt their effectiveness, I just haven't found one that fits me.  As far as the Friel plans, I am not "put off" on those, I am actually trying to put a plan together using the TTB principles, but I am a little overwhelmed by all the information. 
2009-12-08 5:08 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Can I suggest using some of the principles of the plans then perhaps take the learnings and apply them yourself?

Firstly I would suggest workout out what time and when you have available to train.

From there you can work out when will be the best/most convenient of these times for you to swim, bike and/or run.

Then you can work out what you will be doing in each session based on the information you have available from looking at other plans and reading people like Friel.

Given that right now you are starting out again it will be most important for you to make sure you hit each of the disciplines regularly and get into a routine... what that routine is, well thats simply a matter of what works best for your life right now. Consistency will give you the most rewards at this stage...

Good luck!
2009-12-08 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2548623

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
cornchexs - 2009-12-08 12:43 PM I've have good success with the Spinervals video series.  You need an indoor trainer but I made substantial improvements in speed and endurance with these.  The workouts go anywhere from 45 minutes to more than 3 house and cover different aspects of cycling, from strength building to fast legs.

Good Luck!

I have an old, crappy, and loud wind trainer, do you think I would benefit much by focusing on the trainer during the next couple of winter months?  Will it provide me a solid foundation for the spring if I get three or four 45-60 min trainer/spinerval rides in per week?

I know something is better than nothing, but what kind of bike shape might I expect in the spring if I choose that route?

Thanks for the comments

2009-12-09 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2549135

User image

Expert
Bucks County
you're allowed to adapt the plans to suit your needs. use them as a base then change them according to your strengths and weaknesses and what you pick up from Friel's book then

absolutely cycling on a trainer will help you a lot more than not riding all winter. nothing helps more than saddle time. have a purpose to your cycling some days it's long slow distance others it's intensity like spinervals others it's drills like single leg drills.
2009-12-09 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2549386

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
AF_SGT - 2009-12-08 9:26 PM
I have an old, crappy, and loud wind trainer, do you think I would benefit much by focusing on the trainer during the next couple of winter months?  Will it provide me a solid foundation for the spring if I get three or four 45-60 min trainer/spinerval rides in per week?

I know something is better than nothing, but what kind of bike shape might I expect in the spring if I choose that route?

Thanks for the comments

Absolutely and positively YES.  If you actually do it, there's no doubt in my mind that you'll see major improvement.  I have a relatively solid cycling background from mountain biking a lot as a kid and did something similar to this plan from June through September and increased my over-all speed by almost 2mph for a sprint distance race.  Time in the saddle is key my friend.  As far as what kind of bike shape you might expect....this is a loaded question based on your current level and how much you stick to the plan you devise. 

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2009-12-09 10:54 AM
2009-12-09 12:43 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Ride your trainer over the winter. Use spinervals, or watch movies, or try JorgeM's cycling program from the challenge forum, whatever; just get on the bike consistently and it will make a huge difference. If you don't like the BT plans, maybe you could put something together for yourself. It's not rocket surgery! There are a ton of different approaches to building up your S/B/R online, but the biggest thing for all of them is just doing it consistently for a while. For example, this thread at ST has some good running info. Good luck.

Edited by Micawber 2009-12-09 12:44 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Restart Rss Feed