General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Half Ironman!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-08 12:23 AM

New user

Subject: First Half Ironman!!
Hi,

I am about to take the leap to the 'dark side'!! I have entered the singapore 70.3 in March 2010. I have completed two Phuket trialons (slightly longer than the standard Olympic distance) and several sprints.
I wondered if anyone had any advice in term of how much to up my training for the half ironman and also any advice on nutritian while training and while on the bike during the race!!

Lots of questions I know but any help gratefully received.

Thanks
Nicky

2009-12-08 5:52 AM
in reply to: #2547391

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: First Half Ironman!!
Hi Nicky! Welcome to BT and I'm happy to find another member in the SE Asia area. I'm planning to do Western Australia 70.3 but may default to Singapore if it looks more likely. I had a friend offer me his spot in Phuket but I just wasn't ready to do it. Congrats!

There's an excellent Olympic-to-Half Iron bridge program here on BT. You'd need a paid membership to access it but it is WELL worth the money, believe me. Another option is to use a different half-iron training program here, but to join it at the point of however many weeks it is away from Singapore.

A bunch of people from my (former, I'm in Bali now) Jakarta tri club have done Singapore and here's the lowdown. It is HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT and humid. Hotter than Thailand, hotter than Jakarta even with its nasty pollution. Therefore in nutrition pay especial attention to your ELECTROLYTES. Stuff like Pocari Sweat is good but you may need to take even more salt. Make sure whatever you train with has both sodium and potassium (a lot of the drinks here only have sodium).

The swim sucks. The two-lane out and back means it's way crowded and the swim times are long. Bike times can be fast if the heat doesn't affect you too much since it's very flat. Also they've changed the course to I think three laps instead of the old six or seven, so that should be very helpful. The run is fairly pleasant in terms of view and also very flat, but by then it is REALLY hot during the hardest part of the tri. Shade is hard to come by.

How long did it take you to do Phuket? That will help inform your eating nutrition for Singapore.
2009-12-08 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2547441

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

TriAya - 2009-12-08 5:52 AM Hi Nicky! Welcome to BT and I'm happy to find another member in the SE Asia area. I'm planning to do Western Australia 70.3 but may default to Singapore if it looks more likely. I had a friend offer me his spot in Phuket but I just wasn't ready to do it. Congrats!

There's an excellent Olympic-to-Half Iron bridge program here on BT. You'd need a paid membership to access it but it is WELL worth the money, believe me. Another option is to use a different half-iron training program here, but to join it at the point of however many weeks it is away from Singapore.

A bunch of people from my (former, I'm in Bali now) Jakarta tri club have done Singapore and here's the lowdown. It is HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT and humid. Hotter than Thailand, hotter than Jakarta even with its nasty pollution. Therefore in nutrition pay especial attention to your ELECTROLYTES. Stuff like Pocari Sweat is good but you may need to take even more salt. Make sure whatever you train with has both sodium and potassium (a lot of the drinks here only have sodium).

The swim sucks. The two-lane out and back means it's way crowded and the swim times are long. Bike times can be fast if the heat doesn't affect you too much since it's very flat. Also they've changed the course to I think three laps instead of the old six or seven, so that should be very helpful. The run is fairly pleasant in terms of view and also very flat, but by then it is REALLY hot during the hardest part of the tri. Shade is hard to come by.

How long did it take you to do Phuket? That will help inform your eating nutrition for Singapore.

Hey, Yanti - you forgot to give this person a welcome *melon press*.

2009-12-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2547391

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Grats on your decision to do a HIM. 
It took me 2-3 weeks to adjust to temps 95F + this summer so that I would be ready to race in the heat.  As temps go for me, below 80 water needs are standard and then they go up slightly at 85, more at 90 and way more at 95F+.  I haven't trained above 100F and haven't raced above 105F, so I am not sure if you will be in temps higher than that.

I do 300-350 calories per hour on the bike and 200 calories per hour on the run for longer races (marathon/HIM/IM).  If I remember that is like 100 mg salt/potasium per hour from my drink/GU.    

As far as training goes, look at one of the HIM plans here on BT to see what the requirements look like.  You may top out with around a 60-80 mile bike, 15-17 mile run and 3000-3500 yard swim as your longest workouts depending on the plan. 

Edited by Baowolf 2009-12-08 11:15 AM
2009-12-08 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2547441

New user

Hi, thanks for your information, v helpful. I completed the Phuket tri in 3hrs 42. So a bit of work to do there but hey, I'm not going for records in Singapore...just to finish this time around!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Half Ironman!! Rss Feed