General Discussion Triathlon Talk » upgrading bike components Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-31 1:44 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: upgrading bike components
A Nashbar catalog arrived in yesterday's mail and it got me thinking.  I love my bike (a Specialized Allez) but it has mostly Tiagra components.  So I was wondering....how hard would it be to swap out some components and which ones would you start with first?  I'm thinking rear derailleur, bottom bracket, and crankset, in that order.  That of course begs the question, upgrade to what?  I'm leaning towards Ultegra, because I just don't see Dura-Ace in my future.  I am fairly mechanical and even have a bike stand.  Of course this is just daydreaming right now....but I may get to do something over the summer.

Chime in everyone!

2004-03-31 8:51 PM
in reply to: #15708

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: I upgraded my Tiagra equipped Fuji Newest
to mostly Ultegra. It started when I was unhappy with the front derailleur shifting. So I replaced it with Ultegra and replaced my cassette with an Ultegra cassette. I also upgraded the chain to the hollow pin SRAM. Later partly because of some damage to the rear derailleur I replaced it. I ordered Ultegra for the rear derailleur but the bike shop got a DuraAce in and I paid the slight difference. I like the new components a lot better than the Tiagra. I also put bullhorns, aero bars, and DuraAce bar end shifters on the bike. My latest upgrade is a Fizik Arione saddle, which I find more comfortable than any I've been on. I don't think there is a lot of difference in the bottom bracket or cranks going from Tiagra to Ultegra, maybe just weight savings. My next purchase will probably be new chainrings. All the work was pretty easy, but I did learn that you have to be careful taking apart the rear DuraAce bar end shifter. I had to have a bike shop mechanic show me what I'd done wrong and he had to do the same thing with his bike the day before. I believe Ultegra is the way to go for most of your upgrade because it has the quality without the premium price. Bar end shifters only come in DuraAce (if you stay with Shimano). I do like my DuraAce rear derailleur but I believe I would have been just as satisfied with Ultegra. The SRAM chain seems to easily reach the extremes which my Tiagra chain couldn't. I can get to all rear sprockets with any of my triple chainrings without the chain complaining. Anyway that's what I've done.

JT

Edited by JTee 2004-03-31 8:53 PM
2004-03-31 10:02 PM
in reply to: #15764

User image

Resident Matriarch
Subject: RE: I upgraded my Tiagra equipped Fuji Newest
thanx JT, that's exactly what I wanted to know. The chain ring just lead to the cranks as well, since they are one piece with the Tiagra. I'm not going to go for the bar ends and shifters because I just can't get comfortable in that position with the road geometry. If I decide to try it, it will be on a tri specific bike. Someday!

Thanx for your input.
2004-03-31 11:14 PM
in reply to: #15781

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: Actually theTiagra chainrings are bolted on and
can be replaced without changing the cranks. The chainrings do wear out and have to be replaced periodically anyway. I'm not sure about the interval.

I've been told that the Tiagra chain isn't known for durability and is usually replaced after 1500 miles. So eventually you will have to replace the chainrings, chain, and cassette because they wear out. When that happens replace them with Ultegra and instead of rebuilding your rear derailleur cogs I'd replace the rear derailleur at the same time. But by then you may be on that new Tri bike. Of course you'll still need a reliable road bike for most of your training.

Edited by JTee 2004-03-31 11:14 PM
2004-04-01 1:40 AM

Champion
Subject: RE: upgrading bike components
I've done a ton of bike mechanic work over the years, having been the coach/mechanic of a racing team when I wasn't actually racing. I agree on the Ultegra...good choice and the Dura Ace is really not that necessary. I've been using Ultegra for years with complete satisfaction. I'd replace the crank, then you'll get the interchangeability of the chainrings if you need it. Stick with the double for triathlon use if you feel you don't need a triple, less shifting problems. And I'd replace the derailleurs, put on a 9-speed cluster (always put on a new chain whenever you change to a new rear cluster). I'm not sure, but you may have to replace the brake levers/STI shifter combo with the Ultegra setup too. I did that on my son's older Cannondale which had downtube shifters and he went with the STI, but I think at the time he bought Shimano 600 which was a step below Ultegra, maybe not made anymore. If you currently have an 8-speed cluster, the new 9-speeds have the same rear axle width and should be a direct replacement. The narrowness comes from the new chain design and the decreased spacing between cogs.

Total everything up and see what it would come to. Sometimes a massive upgrade is only marginally cheaper than trading in or selling the bike for a newer model, and then you don't have the mechanical headaches of having to do all the work.

See how easy it is for me to spend your money!

Max

Edited by max 2004-04-01 1:42 AM
2004-04-01 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Max has a good point Ellen. Upgrading a few components here and there is always a good idea for an older bike, however, a massive upgrade is only marginally less expensive than buying a new bike with the full component selection you had in mind. You have to recognize that a new bike with Ultegra components--105 components are also just as good--will also have a superior frame, fork, and wheelset from the bike you now ride. Also, if you buy another bike outright, you will have one bike for training and one for racing.

2004-04-01 1:29 PM
in reply to: #15847

User image

Resident Matriarch

you buy another bike outright, you will have one bike for training and one for racing.

yes, I hear what Max is saying.  I already have 2 bikes, both Specialized Allez (one's a bit smaller and a better fit).  The newer (smaller) one also has carbon forks and compact geometry.  I really like this bike and won't be shopping for another for a long, long time.  I was just thinking of tinkering with several components as my monetary situation allows me.  I am concerned with how the mostly Tiagra components will hold up if (and it's a big IF) I actually do all the miles I hope to do this season.

and then on a crappy day like this it also gives me a reason to hunt around on eBay.

okey dokie, back to class.....wet jeans and all.

2004-04-01 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Ellen, Tiagra is a very good group and should hold up well even under tri conditions. Your best best if you like the frame and the components is to upgrade the wheels...that will make the most difference to performance. In the meantime, save you money for a tri-bike, like the Cervelo P2K or the Argon Mercury.
2004-04-01 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
I am in the same boat. My Specialized is set up with "105". I am between a total upgrade or new bike purchase. There only seems to be a couple of hundred dollars difference to have the new bike (which of course means new wheels, tires, saddle, headset) so I may just bite the bullet. I think the only reason I wavier is that I really like my bike and hate to retire it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » upgrading bike components Rss Feed