General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long distance cycling question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-31 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: Long distance cycling question

I've signed up for a 54 mile cycle ride in June but have never completed anything like this before. I know that with focused training over the next couple of months I can complete the distance but i have some questions about eating/drinking en route.

What do you suggest I do for food and water? I plan to add a 2nd water bottle and carry 2 large water bottles and also have a Camelbac waist belt that will holdĀ a litre or so - but what shoudl I carry, just water or energy drinks etc. I guess there will be refreshment points on the way but I also wondered what to do about food - energy gels, bars etc?

I'm not planning a race or anything and just want to enjoy it and raise some money, but any advice you can offer will be much appreciated - thanks

2004-03-31 2:54 PM
in reply to: #15722

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: Long distance cycling question
Bigpikle,

On long rides, I usually consume 2:1 gatorade to water. Especially in the summer. Your camelback will do great for water and just fill your water bottles with gatorade. If there are rest stops, then don't worry about carrying anymore than that. You can always refill there. Depending on the number of stops, I might not even wear a camelback. For food, I would just use gels and anything provided at the stops. Experiment with your eating while you train to see what sits well in your stomach while exerting yourself. Just my experience and it has served me well. Enjoy.
2004-03-31 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Charity rides are usually are well supported with plenty of rest stops along the way. So you can leave the camel back behind. And just eat what is at the rest stops.
2004-03-31 5:43 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
For 54 miles, I don't need a lot of extra food. How long are you thinking this is going to take you? There will be rest stops, I imagine. But even if there weren't, I'd do that distance with two bottles of water and a power bar or an apple -and then eat when I got home.

My little saddle pack always has an apple, my cell phone, and $10 -which if I suddenly become ravenous, will get me some food at whatever kind of food establishment I pass first.
2004-04-01 3:00 AM

User image

Expert
England

Thanks for the tips and sharing your experiences. I'm hoping to build up to close that distance before the event so will hopefully have plenty of opportunity to practise various products and see what works - I'm just nervous as the route has some long killer hills that will probably be more than I get to practise on and just seems a very long way!!.

I'll try and find out what rest/refreshment facilities are provided.

Thanks

2004-04-01 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
You know, this is something that has been bugging me for a while as well. I have done one hour runs and up to 2 hour rides as well as a 1.5 hour brick, with only Powerade or water to drink. But afterwards I am freaking starving! Now, thinking ahead to the Olympic and Half-ironman Tri's that I want to do at the end of the year, I know that I am going to have to refuel to some extent on the bike in those races. Therefore, I need to start with my rides and bricks and see what works for me as far as solid and semi-solid nutrition goes.

I like Clif bars, but I think they would be really hard to open on a bike ride. I need to try some gels, I suppose.

At this point, I got no answers, just questions...

2004-04-01 9:17 AM
in reply to: #15825

New user
The RD should provide all that information for you- what drinks and food they will have and at what mile marker.

When you get that information- you may want to practice eating that food while you ride. That way you know what works for you and what doesnt, and if you need to bring your own food.

I remember last year for hte Marine Corp marathon in DC they were using somne sports drink that most people dislike/hate. All these people wanted to start email campaigns to get the drink changed. It is an important factor- if you dont like what they are servning, or it makes you sick- you REALLY need to know that before hand
2004-04-01 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
For such a short ride, I would just bring two bottle of water and a banana or two stuffed into my jersey pockets.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long distance cycling question Rss Feed