General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard to find seatpost Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-16 9:12 AM

New user

Albany
Subject: Hard to find seatpost
Hey, I am having a little trouble finding what I need in the way of a seatpost.  My problem starts with odd body proportions, I am very leggy with a 37" inseam but I have a very short torso, so based on my upper body I need to ride a 56-58 frame.  Right now I am riding a size 58 Scott S40 that I picked up used and need a little more seatpost.  I need a longer seatpost but also would like it to be a forward seatpost as I plan on picking up aerobars so I can set the bike up more like a Tri bike.  I am going to be using this bike for training but also to run my first Tri's next summer.  Assuming all goes well I very well may be picking up a Tri bike after next season but I am not ready to get a full Tri bike as my first bike.  So the final problem is the seatpost on that bike appears to be a 31.6mm.  

So, where does a guy find an extra long carbon forward seat post that will fit a 31.6 seat tube?

I am assuming I am not the first person to run into this problem but everything I can find is either for 27.2 seat tubes, or is a straight post.  I have been searching several tri online shops and also have checked some manufacturers sites as well.  When visiting my LBS (several of them) they just grab their catalog and either tell me they can't find anything or some try and sell me either a straight post or a post that's too short cause that's all they can find.  

I really appreciate any help you guys can give, even if it's just a few names of trusted manufacturer's I will put in the time to search their websites, but I am just shooting somewhat in the dark now.

2009-12-16 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2561892

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: Hard to find seatpost
Does it have to be carbon? Thomson makes some of the best quality aluminum posts available, and they come in 410mm length, with reversible setback. I have 3 of them. They're not the lightest (but lighter than a lot of carbon posts), but you really can't knock them.

Edited by bcart1991 2009-12-16 9:23 AM
2009-12-16 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2561918

New user

Albany
bcart1991 - 2009-12-16 10:23 AM Does it have to be carbon? Thomson makes some of the best quality aluminum posts available, and they come in 410mm length, with reversible setback. I have 3 of them. They're not the lightest (but lighter than a lot of carbon posts), but you really can't knock them.

I had just figured on Carbon for comfort, but if Aluminum is my best option I am not totally averse to it.  I will definitely check that out. 
2009-12-16 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2562395

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
The frame design/wheels/tire pressure do 10x more for comfort than switching from a carbon to aluminum post.
2009-12-29 7:41 AM

New user

Albany
So I am still searching, the Thomson is nice but only offers a 16mm set and I don't think that will be enough, however with the Thomson they do offer longer posts.  

Right now my post is a 300mm and it's too short, I think I need at least another 30-50mm but possibly more than that.  Doing a little quick geometry the Thomson will only get me just over 1 degree more upright pushing me to 74 and change up from a 73 once I pull out the extra seat post I need.  

For me to get the angle I want....~76 or more I will need to get probably 36mm or more set forward.  So then my options seem to lead to getting a standard size post and shimming it....which I am not in love with the idea but the shims I have seen are actually a full sleeve and that seems ok.  

So I was looking at the profile designs fast forwards but they don't seem to come in longer post lengths.  So, does anyone know of ANY posts that offer more than 30mm of forward set plus are at least 330-350+ in length? 

I am going to keep looking on my own too, this one seems to be a tough nut to crack. 
2009-12-29 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2581525

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
You could try contacting Thomson and see if they'll make you a custom post. They're not that big a company, and located down here in GA. It would be worth a call/email...

2009-12-29 4:15 PM

New user

Albany
Before going custom I want to make sure I have done my due diligence with seeing what's out there.

Here is some of the names I have come up with

Thomson
Kore
Easton
Ritchey
TruVative
FSA
Nitto
Titec

Now I am having trouble figuring out if they can all be used in a forward setup.  I know the Thomson can but 16mm just isn't enough.  Kore has some odd beam design and is only 20mm.  Easton only gives me 10mm.

Ritchey has 30 and 45 but I think they are only able to be used as a set back and not forward, not to mention super high price.

TruVative seems to have options but I think they are made for mountain and not sure if they can be oriented forward.

FSA has options, again don't know if they can be used forward.
Nitto I don't think sells anymore, not sure.
Titec also seems just mountain and just setback.

Does anyone have any experience with using any of these posts forward? 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard to find seatpost Rss Feed