General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Routes near Newark Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-17 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Bike Routes near Newark
I'm visiting family in Newark, DE next week and looking for some good biking roads/routes. I've checked the Routes section on BT and the ones on mapmyride.com, but does anyone have a route they like to do in this area? I'd like to find something in the 40+ mile loop range, but could do laps of something shorter. Thanks!

2009-12-26 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2565285

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Subject: RE: Bike Routes near Newark

I live in Pike Creek and work at UD, so the routes I'm familiar with are around that area.  A lot of people go up Barksdale Road to Appleton, near the orchard.  Depending on where you're coming from, you could make 30-40 miles out of it.  There are some out-and-backs I do, like out 273 (work on some hill climbing!), or out to Elkton, if you're feeling brave. 

If you're up for a short road trip, Lums Pond is up 896, which is where the Diamondman Half Ironman is staged.  You can follow that course to get 40-50 miles in (if you're brave enough to go over the bridge!) or just loop around Route 9 (I think...it's in Delaware City).

This all assumes that the snow has melted, which I'm hoping it has.  I can't believe I had more snow in Delaware than my parents had in Syracuse!  Good luck!

2009-12-28 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2565285

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Bike Routes near Newark
Heh, it snowed more in DE while we were there than in Michigan, too. The only day we could've biked was the day we were driving back to MI. Oh well, thanks for the route ideas for next time!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Routes near Newark Rss Feed