General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bogus DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-06 6:48 PM

Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Bogus DNF
I completed my first triathlon yesterday (Breezy Piont Triathlon, Naval Station Norfolk, VA)! But officially, I didn't. I checked the official results on the race web site today and was shocked and hurt to see a DNF by my name. My times were recorded for the swim, T1, bike, and T2, but not the run. I was a little skeptical about the ChampionChip timing system, so I was careful to step on the mat and listen for the beep each time (it did beep at the finish). I'm going to email the race officials, but I really don't know what can be done. Even if they concede that I really did finish (there's even a finish line photo of me on the photographer's web site) there will be no way to determine my time. I was near the back of the pack, and a bit disappointed with my performance, but still proud to have finished. I knew I wasn't going to be competitive for any awards; this was a personal goal. Also my goal for next time doesn't have a lot to do with the time- my main goal is to finish the run without stopping to walk, which I did several times yesterday. I guess this really shouldn't bother me so much, but it still does. OK, I'm done whining now. I'm going to put my kids to bed and take out my frustrations with a good workout! Thanks for letting me vent!

Mike

2005-06-06 6:53 PM
in reply to: #169893

Veteran
Littleton, NH
Subject: RE: Bogus DNF
That stinks.  I'd still let the race officials know though.  Maybe you weren't the only one this happened to.  Maybe they'll give you a free race.  Sorry - I'd be seriously bummed if that were me.
2005-06-06 6:57 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
You might not be out of luck if the race officials determined that you finished. Since they have some of your other times, they may be able to determine your run time from the clock time in your finishing picture.

Jen
2005-06-06 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

Happened to me also in two consecutive races - 2 weekends ago and this past weekend.  I e-mailed the race organizers and told them what happened and - voila - my times for both races have been updated on the websites.

Be sure you contact the event management company responsible for posting the results.  I bet there is a way they can update it.  If they have your swim T1 and bike times, they should have the rest.

I know it is a very disheartening feeling.  Having it happen two weekends in a row nearly put me over the edge.  You'd think that I actually DNF'd twice as upset as I was. 

Let us know if they are able to fix it for you.  Good luck!

2005-06-06 7:30 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Give them a call and double check......it happened to me on my first race this year.  I noticed that my name was omitted from the posted results and went to check on it.  The computer had all of my times, but somehow tossed me over into the DNF group.  One quick click on the computer and I was back in.  I would hope yours would be this easy too.  Good luck!

2005-06-06 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Sorry to hear about your timing issues; that does stink. Definitely get in touch with Kale, they should be able to help you out. I was at that race too. Are racing in Hampton in 2 weeks?

2005-06-06 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Send em the finish pic and any other pics of runners near you at the time.  It may not be your EXACT finish time, but make sure they don't DNF you.

2005-06-06 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Does the finish pic have the time clock in it?

I volunteered at a Tri last weekend and my job was actually to spot body markings and shout out the number that one person would write on a pad.. and one would type into a portable manual timing maching just for the purpose of chip malfunctions. The timing folks said that in most races they usually have to go back to one of the two sources to straighten things out.
2005-06-06 9:01 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA

Michael,

Go and search your results off the Kale running page. I think that if you search under age group results you'll see your time. I noticed that 2 of my friends had DNF's listed on the Breezy Point page, but insearching the Kale page I saw they both had finishing times, pretty sure I came across your name too. Definitely worth checking, not sure why some of you came up DNF in the overall results though.

2005-06-07 2:24 AM

Chesapeake, VA
Thanks, Sue! My time was listed on the Kale running page. (Of course, now you know how horribly slow I was.) I'll contact the folks who run the Breezy Point page and let them know. I won't be racing in Hampton because I'll be moving that weekend (still in Chesapeake.)

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bogus DNF Rss Feed