General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » It seemed like a good idea... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-07 10:56 AM

New user

Subject: It seemed like a good idea...
Looks like I'm really going to do this thing. I've got an off-road tri coming up in two weeks. I've been to the trail but I guess I missed this huge incline someone told me about later. Yea...nightmares up to raceday. Anyhow, it's my first one. I'm a ball of anxiety, but pressure is a strong motivator.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I'm a newly commissioned ensign in the U.S. Navy fresh out of Officer Candidate School in Pensacola, FL. I graduated with my master's degree from Oklahoma State University in December. Prior to, I attended the University of Tennessee in Knoxville on a softball scholarship. Since my eligibility was up in 2001, I've been looking for a new place to focus my competitive spirit. Just so happens that triathlons coincide with my competitiveness and fitness goals. And, with a lot of encouragement from my lieutenant, AJ Breitweiser, I've thrown myself into the flames. However, I'm looking forward to it.

So, if anyone has some words of encouragement or a magical wand that can make me breathe better when swimming, I'm all for it. About the incline...I'll let you know how it goes.

2005-06-07 11:33 AM
in reply to: #170313

Western Mass
Subject: RE: It seemed like a good idea...
Welcome. It seems kinda funny to have a Navy Officer that needs to learn how to swim but ....
shhhhh. I'm a former Marine WSSI Swimmer and I can't swim worth a hoot. Sure I can go a mile in rough seas but I am the proverbial bull in a china shop.

Look into Total Immersion swimming or anything like it. You have so little time, fortunately, you're young and should be in very good shape. I would take your bike and go to the steepest 100 yrd hill you can find (If you in Fla, good luck) now run up said hill and walk down. Do until you puke (just kidding) Alternate 5 times running with two times riding your bike until your worn out. Do that everyday until three days before race day. rest and go get 'em.
2005-06-07 12:26 PM

User image

Elite

It is a good idea.  Enjoy the ride.  Are there any real inclines in Pensacola?  Come back to Knoxville for some real hills.

On the swim, keep the stroke slow, roll your whole body onto your side to get a good breath, and glide. 

The Lady Vols did pretty well in the NCAA softball post season, just got nicked by Michigan yesterday.  You may be out of touch with the team since you left in 2001.  I am not a big fan or anthing but I live mostly in Oak Ridge, TN so we get the Vol sports coverage whether we want it or not.

GirlsDaddy or Tech_geezer or TW

2005-06-07 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Welcome to B/T - hope you enjoy the site as much as I have over the last year. I've only done one off-road tri - so no real words of advice other than to carry water - water stops may be few and far between. With respect to swimming, if you are weak at swimming start slow, towards that back and off to the side, and swim carefully and methodically. Force yourself to maintain a smooth stroke and not get caught up the frenzy of the pack.Good luck, be sure to give us a race report!!!Dennis
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » It seemed like a good idea... Rss Feed