General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No exercise energy from weight loss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-07 1:14 PM

New user

Cherry Hill
Subject: No exercise energy from weight loss
Hey all,

Wanted to ask the group if anyone has any websites or knows of any books out there which would help me address my training problem. I'm about twenty pounds overweight and have been following many of the suggestions presented in this forum to slowly and safely shed the weight. However, I have noticed my energy levels when it comes to running have absolutely plummented which worries me a great deal.
I am on a training schedule from the book Advanced Marathon where my running mileage is between 40 to 55 miles a week and I hadn't noticed the energy loss until recently when I began my weight loss goal. So my questions is simply: are there any suggestions y'all might have which would allow me to get in enough carbs to boost my energy levels back to normal training status while at the same time allowing me to limit my caloric intake.
I'd greatly appreciate any feedback, thoughts or references you can think of. Thanks in advance!

2005-06-07 1:16 PM
in reply to: #170435

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-06-07 4:36 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: No exercise energy from weight loss

No expert, I'm just trying to loose approx 7 lbs and get down to 200lbs.  Everything I see is that you should start off the day with breakfast, eat some snacks throught the early part of day to keep metabolism going.  And than to lay off of any food after 6 PM. or maybe just a very lite snack.     Which I find is a hard habit to break.  Love to eat at nite watching tv.  Fruit or something else to hold me over.

I try to munch on trail mix  nuts and stuff to keep energy levels going through out the day.

2005-06-07 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Well, it really doesn't matter to your body what time of day you eat your calories. Calories in, calories out. The "no eating after 6" rule is really targeted at people who binge in the evenings, in front of the TV, or whatever. If you eat planned meals that are within your nutrition guidelines, it doesn't matter what time dinner or dessert is. Remember you are trying to run a calorie deficit each day in order to lose weight. Your body will be using what you've eaten most recently, but then dipping into the surplus you've stored as fat -- doesn't matter when you ate it.

A great training diet calls for 3 smallish meals and 3 balanced snacks each day, so you'd be eating a little something 6x.day. I usually do breakfast at 7:30, midmorning snack at 10:30, lunch at 1:00, afternoon snack at 4:00, dinner at 7:00, snack at 9:00. Lest this sound like a lot, it's not. I've lost 30 pounds on this plan and rarely exceed 1700 calories a day.

Breakfast is a must for good energy and to avoid overeating throughout the day. Breakfast should contain protein (eggs, peanut butter, yogurt, etc) and healthy carbs.

Snacks should most always be a balance of protein and carbs. Fruit with peanut butter or a handful of nuts, cheese with crackers, etc. My exception to this is my afternoon snack, which is usually mostly carbs - a whole-grain granola bar or crackers. That's because I work out in the evening and like to have some good carbs about two hours before my workout to get my energy up. My lunches also concentrate on protein and veg. so I have room for some carbs late in the day. If I skip this snack I always feel that "no gas" feeling in the workout.

Please remember that carbs aren't bad. Especially not for athletes. They're necessary. The thing to pay attention to is the quality of the carbs. We need to take in more whole grain and whole grain flour products and vegetables and fruits, and take in less white breads and white flour products like regular pasta and bagels, and sugary foods. Those kinds of carbs have high calories but are almost bankrupt of nutrients. They don't give you any good energy to speak of. Switch to whole-grain bread, whole-grain pasta, brown rice, other grains and beans, real grain granola, and more fresh produce and you'll notice a huge difference in energy and well-being. Carb calories add up quickly, so you need to make sure that they are 'worth it' -- meaning that they are giving your body important nutrients, not just taking up room in your stomach.

There's a lot of good nutrition information out there, but you have to evaluate each source carefully because there's also a lot of BS and hype. Take a look at The Zone and Fit for Life.

Also, it gets a lot easier if you're tracking calories and planning meals. Like a lot of people here, I use fitday.com most days to get a close estimate of the calories I've taken in and burned. It's easy -- you just plug in the foods you've eaten and the serving size, and it gives you a ballpark on what you've taken in. You can also enter your exercise activity and see whether you have a deficit or not. My favorite feature is 'reports', where you can discover whether the foods you chose actually gave you the nutrients you need. Doing that for a few days may show you that there is a category of nutrient you are deficient in -- making up that deficiency could increase your energy.

Good luck!

2005-06-07 6:51 PM

New user

Cherry Hill
I just wanted to say thanks a million to you three for the suggestions. Believe it or not, it helps out tremendously to know that I'm not the only one suffering with this dilemna. I truly believe if I can lose the weight that my energy levels will exceed what they were when I was stuffing pasta and bagels down my gullet.
I'll look into that fitday.com website and keep scanning the forums on-line to see if anyone has a tasty meal that I can adopt. Thanks again guys (or gals as it dictates) for the information. I truly appreciate the feedback. Good luck on any events coming up.
2005-06-07 7:39 PM

Veteran
Littleton, NH

What works well for me is following the basic food pyramid.  There is a neat site http://www.mypyramid.gov/ that you can enter your specifics into and it tells you how much of each food group you should be eating daily based on your age, sex and activity level.  I eat a ton of food every day, but still lose weight since it's all the right foods.

2005-06-08 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

You seem to have found the connection: loss of energy=weight loss goal.

I'd say it's time to prioritize- if a marathon is your primary goal, then nutrition to fuel yourself for marathon training is necessary.  If you're putting in that kind of mileage and eating lots of high quality carbs, my guess is that you'll see your weight drop.

I just finished Nancy Clark's Sport's Nutrition Guide.  She does a great job of helping the reader understand food as fuel.  She also does a great job of showing how to balance a diet- it's ok to have some white bread or pasta- just make sure that the rest of the day you're getting whole grains.

I don't think it's coincidence that most people running marathons are thin.  You have to put in tons of time running and lots of good fuel to get you to race day.

Debi

2005-06-08 1:56 PM

User image

I know a lot of people dont really believe in the whole energy/metabolism boosting supplements but I really found they worked for me especially when i was sick adn still wanted to train. I say try and look for a supplement that has things like green tea, cocoa bean powder, Taurine, CoEnzyme Q10, Dimethylglycine, Trimethylglycine, Tyrosine, L-Phenylalanine and of course make sure you arent getting defficient in any vitamins thats another energy killer right there. The one supplement that my doctor reccommended was made my TriVita called energy now, it didnt have all sorts of chemicals and was basically very natural and healthy but let me tell you the difference it made was UNBELIEVABLE!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No exercise energy from weight loss Rss Feed