General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendation for a wheelset for a good value Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-25 5:30 PM

New user

Subject: Recommendation for a wheelset for a good value
I do couple of sprints, olympic, and half-iron mans a year.  I am doing an iron-man this year and am looking for a wheelset for a good value.  Would you please recommend one.  The ZIPs seem a bit out of my price range and I am far from any pro.  Just looking for a good value in a wheelset.  Also, what does clincher mean?  Thanks in advance.

2009-12-25 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2577724

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Recommendation for a wheelset for a good value
tubular vs. clincher - tubulars are glued to the rim, clinchers do just that, they clinch the inside lip of the rim, no glue required (although sometimes a strong arm)

I assume when you ask for a good wheelset you mean an aero wheelset.
If new is the way you want to go, maybe check out neuvations, or perhaps some SRAM / Flashpoints as alternates to Zipps.

Used / Frankenstein / etc. You can come out with a very good wheelset for a lot less than any new set if you know what to look for. I bought my Zipp 404's for $500.

More aero... a used Hed 3 front is about $350-$500 on ebay, and a disc cover from wheelbuilder.com is about $100... that would be very hard to beat for the money.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendation for a wheelset for a good value Rss Feed