General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First one done Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-26 9:57 PM

Subject: First one done
I just competed in my first tri early this month.  Let me say it was a learning experience.  I knew going in that swimming would be my weakest.  At first I questioned my fitness level despite every minute I snuck into the pool,  tethered thus only counting strokes and not distance.  I would do 120 strokes 3-4 times with a 30 seconds break.  I maintain about a 160 max HR throughout this workout.  I was mainly a roadie until this tri itch I had to scratch.  I am a middle of the pack runner, not really close to breaking any records.  Now I just signed up for my next event in Feb.  The biggest mistake I made on my first event is that I steered way off course and extended the 400m swim.  I thought I was looking up every now and then but to no avail.  I do have a problem with breathing both sides so I will work on this.  I am also swimming with a wetsuit now so this too is different.  Any other advice will be welcomed.  Wish me luck!

2009-12-26 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2578546

User image

Santa Maria
Subject: RE: First one done
The swim seems to be the segment that people have the most problems with. And I am one of them. I am a middle of the pack swimmer. When the water is calm thats when I rely on sighting the bouys, but when it is rough I make sure I see other swimmers around me, thus I know I am headed in the correct direction and you still have to sight but you have reassurance you are headed the correct way. Drafting is another way of getting through the swim. If possible find someone your same speed and watch if he or she is good at sighting and then stick with them. And mainly stay CALM.
2009-12-26 10:33 PM
in reply to: #2578571

Your last statement was right on.  When the adrenalin swirls everything goes.  When I saw that my turn was to the left I knew was in trouble as I can only breath to the right.  Any suggestions of T1 with a wetsuit? Great advice on sighting and I found comfort that I'm not only one with this proverbial monkey on my back.  Wish me luck.
2009-12-27 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2578546

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
For transition help check out the videos on BT, some great stuff on how to make it thru the transistions as fast as possible. 

Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First one done Rss Feed