General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training intensity question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-07 3:09 PM

User image

Otter Lake, Ontario
Subject: training intensity question
I am entering my 1st tri on July 17th. It is a sprint tri and I have only been training for about two weeks. I have however been running since December and think i am in good enough condition to complete the tri in under 1:45 (thats my goal anyway)

My question is regarding my training - i am following the last 6 weeks of the 16 week beginner sprint program on this site and have no trouble with the times. However, i run/bike/swim pretty much at the level i want to do it during the race. Every time i go out for a run i either get a new personal best or am pretty close. Biking is the same. Swimming not quite but in all events all my training sessions are pretty hard i guess. Over the past 2+ weeks i get 1-2 rest days per week. Before that i was running 3-4 days per week.

I read some articles about HRM training and it seems that i need to slow my pace down a lot. I dont have a HRM except on my treadmill and with the nice weather i would rather run outside.

at what levels should i be doing my training?

Thanks,
Tom

2005-06-07 5:11 PM
in reply to: #170544

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: RE: training intensity question
Hey Tom,

I wrote a piece that others have contributed to titled, "The Newbie bumpable Thread." You may find useful information re: hr training/intensity there.

It's difficult to accurately comment on your question without heart rate numbers. However, it is safe to say that you are most likely training too hard (especially as you describe new PB with each run).

Also, do NOT rely on the treadmill hr indicators. They are not accurate whatsoever.

In my opinion, I would reschedule another sprint race for mid August if possible (including your first tri) and use the July race as a training tool. It would also be a great idea to purchase a hrm and begin a modified base building program with a gradual sharpening and taper at the end. If you have a few dollars to spare, check out www.markallenonline.com; a great coaching resource.

You should be doing the majority of your training in z2 and z3. Again, I highly recommend the help of a coach.
2005-06-07 9:55 PM
in reply to: #170673

User image

Otter Lake, Ontario
Subject: RE: training intensity question
Thanks for the info. I am going to check out that thread.
I do have another tri in August so thats good..

Funny what you say about the HRM's on Treadmills being bascially useless. So you pay $1000+ for a treadmill and the HRM doesnt compare to sub $100 versions (i am guessing)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training intensity question Rss Feed