General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie here Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-28 1:57 AM

Subject: Newbie here
I have always thought tri athletes where amazing. I am not built like them at all, never figured I would try and ever do one. Well after finding this site, and being talked into by my best friends wife. We are going to do a try a tri this summer of for sure the next depends on some commitments that I already have). So I need all the help and advice I can get. I am 5'11 290 pounds. I know losing weight is one thing I need to do and this is one reason I agreed to do this. One question I have is do I do more cardio or weight training? I have use of a indoor pool and the atletic club I belong to?

Thanks in advance as I am sure I wll have many more.

Greg

2009-12-28 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2579602

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
Subject: RE: Newbie here
Welcome to BT.  Start with more cardio and logging what you eat.  Strength training isn't all that important at this stage, in the overall scheme of things.  I would get one of the Couch to ______ whatever plans and follow it.  There are programs here and other places on the web.  Good luck.
2009-12-28 3:08 PM

User image

Monterey Bay, Cali

How's it going? I'm a newbie to triathlons too :D
I would definitely agree that Cardio is more important at this stage but don't count strength training out completely. You should also be picky with the cardio you choose at first. As a clyde you can do a lot of damage to your joints by getting off the couch, throwing on a pair of shoes, and taking of down the street for a run. Because strength training is so extensive, it can be easy to get lost in the works. You don't have to go crazy; try to find a balance though.

core, core, core, and take care of your knees and shoulders!

Edited by FatKid 2009-12-28 3:12 PM
2009-12-28 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2580623

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Swimming and cycling is easiest on your body start there. Start slow and build up. Keep it fun! don't make it a chore.
Start walking and work on adding a bit of running as you go. Find a triathlon you want to do and sign up for it so you have a real goal.
Best of luck to you!
2009-12-28 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2580253

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
LeahDD - 2009-12-28 12:07 PM Welcome to BT.  Start with more cardio and logging what you eat.  Strength training isn't all that important at this stage, in the overall scheme of things.  I would get one of the Couch to ______ whatever plans and follow it.  There are programs here and other places on the web.  Good luck.

I'm a "newb" also. I agree with Leah.  Find a couch to ............. I would suggest to 5k and start running. I added swimming and cycling 2 months ago. I know I would have been very frustrated and most likely quit if I had not built up my cardio base with running first. Just my two cents.

Phil
2009-12-30 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Before I did any kind of Tri training I just hit the pool 4-5 times per week.  I got up to 3,500 yards per swim session (nothing special, just 500 or 1000 yd sets with 1-2 min. rest in between.  That and watching what you eat will set a good base (it really worked for me).  Basic math, 3,500 calories = 1 pound.  Need to burn more than eat so if you burn 500 calories more per day than you eat, you will lose 1 lb per week.  One hour in the pool for me was over 1,000 calories when I first started (I was 246 lbs, now 195).

At first I swam 50 yards (one lap) and was out of breath already so don't get frustrated.  Take a break, do it again, and again, and again.  Build up to 100's, then 200's etc.. 

Another reason I started in the pool was to lose weight before running to lessen impact on knees/joints etc.  Biking is good also if just swimming will bore the heck out of you.

I found that building up to a 3,500 yard swim workout made my first time running easier.  I wasn't that winded after my first 2 miler (that's right, I could run 2 miles non-stop after building up that swimming base).  Not saying everyone's body will react the same, just reporting actual results.

I also did 1-2 resistance workouts a week during this time, mainly to improve my core.  Good core I think will help you keep it together as you're making your way through the run portion of the sprint (my opinion).

Welcome to BT, stick with it, you will feel so good once you complete that first race it's well worth the effort.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie here Rss Feed