General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Westsuits...Anyone tried these brands?.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-08 1:36 PM

Regular
Price, UT
Subject: Westsuits...Anyone tried these brands?....
I found a wetsuit (pretty cheap about $115.00) on swimoutlet.com and I was wondering if anyone has tried the brand Aqua Sphere. If you have was it good quality? Did it perfrom well? What other brands have people tried? I would like to try the IRONMAN Femme-Fit (kinda pricy though). However, not as pricey as Quintana Roo. Can some people give me their thoughts on buying a wetsuit...what brand...how much they spent...and how you liked it? Thanks. Oh, and I would rent one, but I can't find anywhere in UT that does that, so I think I may just have to buy one. THANKS everyone!

2005-06-08 1:45 PM
in reply to: #171220

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Westsuits...Anyone tried these brands?....
Don't know anything about your particular brand, but spotted them at a surf-shop; is it geared more towards other aqua sports?

I eventually bought an O'Neill farmer suit (Spring suit or Half-Suit), mainly because I live on the Gulf Coast - very warm most months. I got it from my from my local surf shop in Galveston. It works great, but as I've lost weight it has started to act as more and more of a drogue parachute. Best bet would be to buy one that has short sleeves.

Good luck in your purchase!
2005-06-08 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Maine
I think that the aquasphere suits are more of a skinsuit than a wetsuit for tris. They are pretty thin and are designed to give some thermal protection, whereas a tri specific wetsuit will keep you warm and give you more buoyancy, especially in the legs.
2005-06-08 2:23 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
I used a skinsuit, which is a lot cheaper than a wetsuit. Mine is by ScubaPro and cost me about $100 at my local dive shop (http://www.scubapro.com/products/wets/wet_pacific_steamer/wet_pacific_steamer.asp) which is similar to what you're looking at. Skinsuits are usually .5mm, and are designed to go on under a regular wetsuit. They provide almost no buoyancy.

I don't know jack about elevation, since I live on the coast, but the skinsuit got me thru a 500m sprint in 67-68 degree water. It was fine to swim in, because the material is so light and stretchy. It was also really easy to get out of. It does NOT offer the warmth of a wetsuit! But it does offer some protection and for borderline-too-cold water, it's perfect.

I made the investment because the chances of me needing to wear a wetsuit to more than one race per year are almost nil. If I lived in a place where the water was regularly cold, I'd look for a tri specific wetsuit, people on here seem to like promotion a whole lot. A regular scuba or surf wetsuit will limit your swiming ability pretty significantly.

Have fun in your race and let us know how it goes!
2005-06-08 2:36 PM

Master
Check out tribonzai.com. They have closeout deals on tri specific wetsuits. They are limited with what they have, but it's worth a shot to check it out and plus it's cheaper than the $115 you would be spending.
2005-06-08 2:48 PM

Regular
Price, UT
Thanks everyone for your help...I am beginning to understand that the mm explains the thickness. I'm a little slow. I looked at the Bonzai sports wed page, and I was all excited when I saw the prices and then sad when I saw the only sizes. So I will keep looking. Thanks for the help again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Westsuits...Anyone tried these brands?.... Rss Feed