General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eagleman Tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-09 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: Eagleman Tips
For those of you doing Eagleman this weekend, here are some tips that I received from Coach Troy that I wanted to pass along.

Good Luck!

Tips and Strategies:

1. Since it is hot and humid down there on the shore, prepare the days leading up to the race by increasing your sodium intake by salting your foods as well as staying well hydrated. I like to drink V8 juice each day leading up to a hot event. Some people prefer pickle juice (YUK!...but whatever works!)

2. The swim is in the Choptank River and it's not called the 'choptank' for nothin'! The current can be pretty severe so be prepared to navigate by sighting your buoys at least once every 10 strokes. And don't be discouraged if you think you're going super slow...most likely everyone else is too! One year I exited the swim in 28 minutes and the following year, in 40 minutes!

3. Rest more starting 72 hours before the race! This means to try and stay off your feet and to relax more. Sleep 8 hrs each night if your nerves and anxiety allow and remember....being anxious and nervous is normal and a GOOD thing. It means you'll be focused , sharp and ready to take your performance to the next level!

4. Energy Management is key. Since the course is so flat, people start to HAMMER the bike as soon as they exit the swim. Since the winds on the shore are usually fairly strong, you could be cruising effortlessly at 28 miles per hour at one stage and grinding into a headwind at 11 mph at another. Keep your head on straight and remember at all times when you're on the bike that you still have to run 13.1 miles!

5. Nutrition is key. Any endurance event that takes 3 or more hours to complete in hot and humid conditions requires that you maintain steady calorie and fluid intake! Stick to a strategy. I would recommend that you aim to consume at least two waterbottles of sports drink per hour on the bike (30-40 fl oz) along with at least 300 cal / hr (including sports drink). This of course will depend on your experience, bodyweight, tolerance to foods on race day, etc....but whatever you do...don't forget to eat and drink!

6. Extra incentive...big hairy flys! Yep...the marshland of the Blackwater refuge has lots of wildlife, including flys the size of small birds! If you slow down too much, they'll have you for lunch so keep moving! This is one reason why so many people PR on the Eagleman race course!

7. Competition is fierce. While there are lots of first time half Ironman'ers doing EMan, there are also LOTS of national caliber age group and pro superstars vying for Ironman Hawaii slots. IF you're a first timer, don't be intimidated and try to learn from the more experienced athletes. What other sport can you toe the line with a World Champion as you'll do with Natascha Baddman and Karen Smyers!? Pretty cool!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend at EMan and at other events!

Race hard and be safe!

Coach Troy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eagleman Tips Rss Feed