General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kiddies at the pool rant.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-06-09 7:44 PM
in reply to: #171955

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Kiddies at the pool rant....

Let me make sure I understand this: You're not supposed to pee in that big tiled room?

2005-06-09 8:09 PM

Master
I went swimming one night at the LA Fitness at 10pm. I figured, no one is there that late. Well I get into the one lane, and behold a whole family gets in the lane next to me. The kids were grabbing those floaty things, and slapping each other like crazy and wrestling in the lane next to me. I had one kid fly over the lane divider and hit me when I was swimming. I didn't say a word to him, all I did was stand up and look at him and I scared him to death. Of course being 6'3", 230lbs, and an ex-rugby player helps. Now, these kids were 15 years old and their parents were just hanging out in the hot tub.
2005-06-09 8:24 PM
in reply to: #172181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Tri Take Me Away - 2005-06-09 7:49 PM After the second kid crossed me I got out of the pool yelling and screaming and left. It made me so mad that even when the only other people there are my FRIENDS I STILL cannot swim in peace. Of course I apologized for acting like a complette jerk and cursing in front of the kids. But the one lady totally ripped me a new one and didn't even apologize for letting her kids break the rules of the pool!

I think my first instinct is to defend my kids from aggressive attacking people - hence the ripping you a new one - but then I'd go home and yell at my kids for being cretins and feel terrible (and make THEM feel terrible) about how inconsiderate we were to some poor soul attempting to swim in safety and learn from that and not only not do it, but next time I'd be at the pool in the hot tub I'd warn OTHER people to be respectful of the swimmers.

In other words, you raised awareness. No, it wasn't pleasant, but I bet you'll be safer in the pool next time.

Gwendal
2005-06-09 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
My scary incident happened in the sauna, not the pool and with a senior citizen, not a kid. Although our rec center requires a swim suit in the suana, this older, portly gentleman was butt nekkid. That was fine with me until he decided to get in his stretching and tai chi exercises. It was like trying not to watch a traffic accident. The human body is not always beautiful.
2005-06-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #172181

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

here's mine....  Summer day camp time here too.  Went swimming in afternoon (seems it rains every evening here these days).  Pool crowded.  Three girls in bikinis that don't fit their prepuberty bodies are frolicking in a lane.  Swim lessons in another lane.  Really fast chick doing fly in another lane.  So.. the three girls in bikinis that are falling off the tits they think they have (or maybe the tissue withered up and floated away in the water) are frolicking.  I got fed up, jumped in, put my kb and pull buoy next to me.  Proceeded to swim up and down on the right side as always.  They continue frolicking and pulling up their bikini bottoms that are falling over the hips they don't have yet.  At the wall, they start getting in my way so I give a good kick when pushing off.  This doenst scare them.  They finally leave, but only momentarily.  Yes, we have a full staff of lifeguards on and there's a dry erase board clearly indicating what each area of the pool is for.  finally, I got fed up and complained to a lifeguard who kicked them out of the lane. 

Hey, Jessica,try complaining to the Neighborhood Association.  don't you pay good money for that??

2005-06-09 9:51 PM
in reply to: #172123

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
CLLinIA - 2005-06-09 3:07 PM
kimj81 - 2005-06-09 1:19 PMDo the parents just think "I'm not sure that there's enough urine in there, better throw Tommy in"?)....

*shudder*

I'm sorry Kim, I do feel your pain, but I have a 4 yr old son and I'm ROFLMAO. I'm probably one of those parents people bitch about but I swear I'm doing my best. We only have 2 locker rooms (M&F) at our little local pool, so if DH isn't with us I'm stuck with the ladies and the little boy. If I sent him into the men's by himself he'd probably ... pee all over the floor. Comment very loudly on the size of everyone's penis. Go to the toilet and scream for someone - ANYONE - to wipe his bottom. But he does NOT have a picture phone!

Well, I would have more sympathy and buck up (at least with the staring thing... ALL little boys do that... I'd still be horrified by the pissing) if there weren't a family changing room. The point is that there IS a family changing room and that's why it exists! I certainly wouldn't expect a mom to send her young son to the men's locker room all by himself (or vice versa).

2005-06-10 6:45 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-10 7:30 AM

Elite
Racine, WI

Kids of the opposite sex are a problem at our Y too, even WITH mens, womens, boys, girls, and family locker rooms! What irritates me is that my daughters, who are 13 and very self concious, use the girls locker room.  Moms bring boys of all ages in there instead of using the family locker room, because they are too lazy to walk outside the locker room-no entrance directly to the pool but the lifeguards will let people in the side door. My daughters won't even use the locker room due to this.

To complicate things the only way into the raquetball courts is through the mens and womens locker rooms.  A few weeks ago one mom led her teenage sons through the locker room with towels with towels wrapped around thier heads covering thier eyes when leaving the r-balls courts!  I have to admit I couldn't stop giggling at the sight of those kids, but a couple of the other women were seriously ~ understandably ~ pissed off!

2005-06-10 7:46 AM
in reply to: #172334

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
CindyK - 2005-06-10 8:30 AM

Kids of the opposite sex are a problem at our Y too, even WITH mens, womens, boys, girls, and family locker rooms! What irritates me is that my daughters, who are 13 and very self concious, use the girls locker room. Moms bring boys of all ages in there instead of using the family locker room, because they are too lazy to walk outside the locker room-no entrance directly to the pool but the lifeguards will let people in the side door. My daughters won't even use the locker room due to this.

To complicate things the only way into the raquetball courts is through the mens and womens locker rooms. A few weeks ago one mom led her teenage sons through the locker room with towels with towels wrapped around thier heads covering thier eyes when leaving the r-balls courts! I have to admit I couldn't stop giggling at the sight of those kids, but a couple of the other women were seriously ~ understandably ~ pissed off!

I don't get why the woman had to accompany her boys. I wouldn't have any problem sending my six year old son off on his own through the men's lockerroom. In my experience, three to five is the difficult age when they're not reliable enough to send in on their own, but too non-baby to bring in as a cute accessory.

Our Y has seven lockerrooms. No, eight. I think people get seriously confused about which one they're supposed to use. I use the Women's Gold Facility room which needs a special key to use and is for only women 18 and over who pay a premium and then a key deposit. In other words, you don't get in there accidently.

My pet peeve is that the staff walk through from a fire exit to use the bathroom in my special super-duper private Gold lockerroom. I'm in there naked and some woman I don't know who is NOT there to workout but just does some front desk time walks in through an unexpected door. Somehow there's an ethic in lockerrooms that it's okay to be naked because everyone is/was/will be, but these people are just like walking in off the street and wouldn't dream of stripping to walk naked into the toilet. Yet there we are.

Just for explanation, the other lockerrooms are the main Women's Lockerroom, the girl's lockerroom, the corresponding three male lockkerrooms plus a family changing area and a special-needs lockerroom. The men's and women's Gold lockerrooms don't have direct pool access, all the others do.

I brought my just-turned 14 year old daughter to the Y with me yesterday and told her to use the women's main lockerroom. If you're old enough to not want it then you're old enough, if you ask me. My daughter is more "young woman" than "girl".

Gwendal
2005-06-10 8:11 AM
in reply to: #172045

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Alpine87 - 2005-06-09 3:33 PM

I had the last lane adjoining the play area at the pool and had to tell the rugrats what the lane lines were for – to keep them from getting hurt in my lane!

I used to swim laps at a public pool and occasionally had problems with kids in the lap lanes. My policy was to just swim right over 'em. (Open water practice). They generally got the hint pretty quickly.

2005-06-10 8:13 AM
in reply to: #172342

Elite
Racine, WI

Gwendal - 2005-06-10 7:46 AM
CindyK - 2005-06-10 8:30 AM
I brought my just-turned 14 year old daughter to the Y with me yesterday and told her to use the women's main lockerroom. If you're old enough to not want it then you're old enough, if you ask me. My daughter is more "young woman" than "girl".

Gwendal

I do the same with my girls, and as a staff member I turn a blind eye to young women who change in the women's locker room as long as they are behaving like young women.

The woman with the boys and towels didn't have a men's room key for some reason...she didn't know she could borrow one at the desk.

2005-06-10 8:22 AM
in reply to: #172334

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
CindyK - 2005-06-10 7:30 AM

To complicate things the only way into the raquetball courts is through the mens and womens locker rooms.  A few weeks ago one mom led her teenage sons through the locker room with towels with towels wrapped around thier heads covering thier eyes when leaving the r-balls courts! 

Teenage boys can't find their way through the men's locker room?

I'm pretty lucky - my Y's have family lockers and clear rules which are well enforced.

no kids under 16 in the adult locker rooms period.

no kids over 6 in the opposite gender family locker rooms

special needs changing rooms for all other situations  (Very helpful when I'm alone with son & daughter)

2005-06-10 10:13 AM
in reply to: #172268

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

kimj81 - 2005-06-09 9:51 PM
Well, I would have more sympathy and buck up (at least with the staring thing... ALL little boys do that... 

I think you will find that most big boys do that too

2005-06-10 12:16 PM
in reply to: #172358

Expert
Littleton, CO
tim_edwards - 2005-06-10 6:11 AM
Alpine87 - 2005-06-09 3:33 PM

I had the last lane adjoining the play area at the pool and had to tell the rugrats what the lane lines were for – to keep them from getting hurt in my lane!

I used to swim laps at a public pool and occasionally had problems with kids in the lap lanes. My policy was to just swim right over 'em. (Open water practice). They generally got the hint pretty quickly.

Exactly!

2005-06-10 12:30 PM

Veteran
San Diego, CA
This thread hit home with me, too.

I have 2 kids (daughter 6/son 3). If my kids showed ANY of the behavior that's been mentioned, I would be so embarrassed.

Try saying something to the parent, on the spot. Not to embarrass the mother, but sometimes the kid will correct his/her own behavior. I've also complimented parents with well-behaved kids. It's nice to hear.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound too harsh since parenting is hard and doesn't come with instructions, but OMG, teach your kids how to act in public! Who said that it takes a village to raise a child? Sometimes it takes a polite comment to raise a person's awareness of socially acceptable behavior.

I laughed at the fart part, but with kids, you need to stifle the laughter or it excalates. FAST!

Also, say something to the management. Maybe they can keep an eye out. Good luck!
2005-06-10 1:18 PM
in reply to: #172527

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

The worst pool/parenting story occurred this past winter.  While my wife was getting my 4 y/o daughter ready for swim class at the Y, a few other kids were already in the pool.  One of them waddles out of the pool (pool has a ramp at the shalow end) with obvious baggage weighing down her "swimmie" diaper (the kid has "swimmie" diaper for a bottom, no top, and inflatatble arm floaties on).  As the girl is making her way up the ramp, brown excrement begins falling out of her bottom.  Plop! Plop!  Now, the bad story gets worse.  The girl's mother takes off the diaper, picks up the excrement, turns and puts the diaper and said excrement into a trash can, and sends the girl back into the pool!  The mother did not even wipe the girl's bottom, and sends her back into the pool for her swim lesson naked!!! 

My wife had to tell the lifeguard what happened, and they closed the pool.  When my wife told me this story I was incredulous.  We also changed what class my daughter attended. 

2005-06-10 3:18 PM

Veteran
San Diego, CA
eewwww!!

You know they didn't drain the pool, either. My sympathies!
2005-06-10 3:20 PM
in reply to: #172562

Pro
Helena, MT

Oh, gooood GAWD! Kid piss is nothing in comparison to THAT!

2005-06-10 5:01 PM
in reply to: #172342

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-10 5:29 PM

Expert
Westchester County NY

My Y has a policy that cildren under 16 have to use the girls or boys locker rooms.  Children of any age are not supposed to be in the adult locker rooms.  Every once in awhile a mom brings a little one into the ladies locker room, but they're usually pretty considerate.

Family swim time is on Sunday, but all the other times there are at least 2 lanes for lap swimming.  I try to avoid the pool when there are swimming lessons or swim team practice.  I do not go during family time for exactly the reasons already mentioned in this thread.  Going to the pool is a production compared to the other two sports so I want to go at a time when I will be able to concentrate on my workout, not worry about some kid wacking me with a noodle, or "heating" the pool.

Thank God we don't have any diving boards, and jumping in the pool is not allowed.

2005-06-10 6:05 PM
in reply to: #172722

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
adverbia - 2005-06-10 6:01 PM When I was college aged on Miami Beach, (this happened while I was at the beach that day) a man raped and murdered a 9 year old boy in a bathroom in less than 10 minutes while his aunt waited right outside. Its morbid and horrible and totally preventable... I've been called loony by many of my friends, but the mere thought that something like this could happen to a child under my care is too much to bear.Adverbia

Statistically speaking, my children are in much greater danger alone with me than in a public lockerroom.

Just saying.

Gwendal

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kiddies at the pool rant.... Rss Feed  

of 2