Arbor Schools
68?F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 45s
Overall Rank = 180/408
Age Group = 16-19
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had a yogurt just to get something in my stomach. Then drove to the place and got there about an hour or so before the first wave. Good idea, quickly the TA got crowded and I'm glad I got a good spot for my stuff.

Laid out my gear, talked a bit and explained the situation (first tri, what to do etc), everyone was really friendly (which was great!), went over to the porta-potties to put my drag suit on (for those who aren't swimmers, think of it as a "conservative speedo"...so to speak)

After getting setup there was a race meeting where they discussed the logistics of the event and stuff. When each wave was called, off we went!
Event warmup:

Really none...I just chilled with some people at the start line and what not. Some people were in the water warming up, but I was already kind of concerned about the water temp :-P
Swim
  • 06m 31s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm a distance swimmer, and so I typically have good control over my swimming (not just wasting it all on the first bit, etc)...however due to this being my first real open water swim, my first triathlon, and just wanting to do well in the swimming (because I'm a swimmer :-P) I kind of went out too hard. But I managed alright...
What would you do differently?:

First off, get in the elite (first) wave. I was in the 9th wave, and each wave was 2 minutes apart, which meant that since I was a decent swimmer that I was crawling over everyone that was slow in the previous waves. Yea, kind of arrogant sounding, but that's how it was.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Well, I was wearing a drag suit from the swim that I was going to carry over to the biking...so there wasn't any wetsuit to remove. However, I believe I lost a bunch of time because I had to sit down to get my socks on.

But otherwise, I think it was pretty smooth -- cap and goggles came off during the run, helmet went on fast and then just getting the shoes in.

I ran with my bike to the mount area and then mounted rather slowly, I guess...no running starts here :-P

No socks!
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14.5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, regarding my times? There was an issue with the chip timer thing and well, they lost my splits :( Also didn't get my run or T2 times :(

But besides that, I feel I went somewhere around 45 minutes, putting me at somewhere around a 18-19mph which is phenomenal, I think, for only biking a week before that? But yea, since I wasn't totally familiar with biking, I was kind of concerned about reaching down for some water and so I only did it once...took a gulp and when it hit my stomach it actually hurt...thinking next time that I'll go for smaller sips, more often.

Drink more water
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I dismounted and then ran with my biking shoes on to the rack where I put up my bike and then switched my shoes and tossed on a shirt with my running number on it.

Think it went alright...

no shirt, probably get a race-belt...also, look into getting some Yanks instead of tying by hand :-P

also I might look into working on the pedaling on top of the shoes....we'll see.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Man, running isn't my strong point, and so to have to run 3.5 miles after all that swimming and biking (I'm sure the ironman triathletes are laughing, but still) was torturous :-P

I kept thinking to myself "when is this going to be over???" it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the swim or bike.

Train more for the running so it becomes second nature.
Post race
Warm down:

hah, warm down...it was such an after-thought that I didn't do one! next time though..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running abilities. Or lack thereof. Also I think getting more used to the open water swimming will give me a better form in the water (so used to being in a controlled pool)

Event comments:

A great race to start the season and perfect for the beginning triathlete. Would recommend to anyone (even a running if they can't swim or bike!)

Last updated: 2005-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:31 | 400 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/408
Performance: Good
Suit: Drag
Course: start in the water, swim out to a buoy - hang a 90 degree right turn...go to the other buoy, hang another 90 degree turn, and finally finish farther down the beach from the start. Then run to T1
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 14.5 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course was great! Slight hill at the 4mi and 9 mi marks (it was an out and back course) but other than that, it was pretty flat and felt great.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03.5 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Cross country, basically. Some hardtop, but for the most part it was trails on grass or dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-09 2:53 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
Subject: Issaquah Triathlon

2005-06-09 3:27 PM
in reply to: #171993

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: RE: Issaquah Triathlon
Great race Rob!  Your swim split is really fast for having to swim over everyone.
2005-06-09 4:11 PM

User image

My jaw dropped when I saw your swim split.  That's smokin'!
2005-06-09 4:33 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
awesome stuff. Great to see you enjoyed your race, and learned some stuff.... what is next?
2005-06-09 8:28 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
zagagirl: hehe, thanks.

jeff: looking at doing the seafair half marathon with a friend and then the next week is the seafair triathlon....I know, kind of overkill....but I figure I could use the halfmarathon as a good long distance run and then cram on some carbs (and rest!) Also, the friend that I'm doing the half-marathon with we're also looking at doing the seafair torchlight 8k (just because we can dress up and run through seattle... )

hrm...I should look to expand outside of just seafair activities...

but how about yourself? what are you looking at doing next?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Issaquah Triathlon Rss Feed