General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rain forecast for my Marathon 8( Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-12 10:41 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Rain forecast for my Marathon 8(

So after training well for this marathon on Sunday I went and looked at the weather forecast......rain most of the week, during the race and for two days after the race.  Temps should start out in the 30's and maybe make it to the 40's with a 10 mph or so wind.  To top it off, the race starts with a paved 3.5 mile downhill at around 5-6% grade and has another paved downhill at mile 21 that folks fall on when it is dry.  I am peaked, tapered and they have my money....Frown

So now for the question of what to wear.  I am torn between just going with the usual shorts and shirt or adding a waterproof jersey.  I was hoping to run a 3:35 or better race and am not sure that I will produce enough heat to remain warm without the jersey, but don't want to cary more with me than I need.  Any thoughts from more experienced racers out there, this will be my 2nd mary.  The combination of coldish weather, rain, wind and overcast sky may be a bit too chilly to not use the jersey.  Pace expectations are now shot as well as the footing will now be much more difficult.  Also, thoughts on whether to go with wool socks or not?  Any input welcome.   

2010-01-12 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2609543

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: Rain forecast for my Marathon 8(
i would probably go with original plan.. you will get hot.. just have some dry gear waiting at finishline so you change.. and keep the warmth..

sorry bro, good luck
2010-01-12 12:11 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Is footing that big of a deal while running on wet pavement? I am truly not trying to be a PITA -- I've just never had problems with slipping, even while running in rain.

30s-40s with wind/ rain: I'd wear shorts, short sleeved shirt with throwaway arm warmers (socks work well), and maybe a light rain/ wind proof jacket.

good luck ! ... and hey, you never know, weathermen have been wrong before
2010-01-12 12:19 PM

User image

Regular
Westborough, MA
Wear what you trained in (socks). You mean you never trained in the rain? Rain is just nature's coolant! Tongue out

Running on wet pavement is fine. Running on ice is not. As long as it is above freezing you should be fine for footing.
2010-01-12 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Personally I'd avoid the wool socks in the rain.  I still wear moisture wicking socks (cycling or running specific) whether it's raining, snowing, or dry out.  If anything I'd think it's more important to have moisture wicking socks in the rain.

rain + wool (or cotton) socks + 26.2miles of running = blister-fest
2010-01-12 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Socks are the big issue, IMO.  Choose carefully there.  Wool would be teh suck, I think.

For an 18-mile race I did in similar conditions to what you're supposedly going to see, I went with long sleeve tech shirt under a zippable bike rain jacket...very light weight and breathable and worked out well (when the rain let up the last 45 min., I was able to just unzip it).  I've bought a more run-specific rain shell since then, but I might still wear that bike jacket in a heavy rain.

Oh, and gloves...if it's really cold at the start and you need them, be prepared to throw away your gloves once they get too waterlogged...

2010-01-12 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran

It's totally ghetto, but I stand by using plastic garbage bags.  Just cut armholes and a hole for your head.

I keep it on just long enough to warm up, and then throw it away.

And synthetic running socks are already designed to use with wet feet (from sweating), they're almost surely better than wool for rainy days.
2010-01-12 1:16 PM

Those a good running conditions in my opinion. I set a PR for a marathon in conditions you describe. Being on the stocky side (5'10' and 185) I don't like running in warm weather. When it is hot I get concerned about over heating and not getting enough fluids to keep from getting dehydrated. Cool weather takes a load off my mind and I feel like I can run faster without the worry. The only reason I bring this up is that it helps to have a positive outlook going into the race to do the best you can.

As to what to wear, I would just wear what you normally wear in modrate conditions. For me that was a technical tee and shorts along with my regular wicking socks. Because you usually have to stand around before the start more so then for a normal training run, I wore some throw away stuff to keep the chill off until I got warmed up. I wore an old cotton hoodie along with some cotton work glove and an ear warmer band. I ditched the hoodie in the trash at the start and dropped the gloves at the second aid station. I kept the ear warmer until much later. I felt fine the whole race

I made sure I had warm dry clothes waiting at the finish to switch to immediately after finishing.

Edited by browncd 2010-01-12 1:18 PM
2010-01-12 1:24 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It gets steep enough in places that folks go down on the pavement when it is dry if they hit a slightly sandy spots.  It may get cold enough that there are icy spots on the hill on the decent, especially in the shade.  Yes I have run in the rain and snow, but the opening hill is steep, sustained and on very smoothe pavement.  We don't have any smoothe pavement around here (chip seal and mud) to practice running down at a fast pace.

I guess since my main concern is about core body temp that I will bring a waterproof jersey and just unzipp it to regulate body temp or tie it around my waist if I get too hot.  The decision would be easier if it were either colder or warmer, for me it is right on the cusp.  On a practice run I would bring the jersey, but  in a race... meh, less sure.  Thanks for the imput.  I will just wear regular socks.         

Edited by Baowolf 2010-01-12 1:27 PM
2010-01-12 2:54 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Sorry man.  That stinks.  I always try to dress for how I will feel mid-run.  You could always buy a cheap, zip up rain coat that you can ditch somewhere along the route.  A hat with a brim or a visor will help keep the rain out of your eyes.  Be careful on those slick spots!  Good luck!

2010-01-12 3:05 PM

User image

New user

That sucks...you could try a swim suit and knee pads.

2010-01-12 3:36 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya know... my kids got one of those circular plastic slead things for Christmas... I bet that thing would just fly right down that hill....knee pads with metal and hand guards could work also though.. hrm. 

Ya think I will go for the disposable raincoat approach and keep it in my pocket as needed.  Maybe some kevlar running tights.  I will just yell safe every time I slide into a curb. 
2010-01-12 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

I dunno. Sounds downright balmy and pleasant to me. Last week, here in the deep south, our marathon starting temp was around 18 degrees and something like 8 with the windchill. Actually wasn't too bad at first with the sun out, but then the clouds and the flurries came. Cold fingers, cold face, cold butt. Water was frozen. Gatorade was slush. Icy footing in some spots. Folks at Disney in Florida fared a bit worse, I hear.

For your race, I would probably wear tights, but I'm a weenie. Otherwise, I would go with a long-sleeved tech shirt and possibly a lightweight jacket that I could take off and tie around my waist if needed. Gloves and a hat. Wool socks not necessary IMO. (I wore wool socks on Saturday, though.)

2010-01-12 4:43 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO

My experience is that wool is naturally wicking and smartwool sox are great.  Injinji may work better if you're feet are going to be soggy tho to keep your toes from rubbing each other raw.

Pick up a windbreaker @ Goodwill and toss it when you get hot.  Anything waterproof will be too hot, imo.

I'd wear a long sleave tech tee underneath the windbreaker and probably lightweight tights.  I never understood why runners wear shorts in 30* weather.  Even wet they should hold some body heat for you so you don't freeze. 

I'd also wear a visor to keep the rain out of my eyes and lightweight mittens.

Have a great race!

2010-01-12 5:06 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Thanks again for feedback. 

It is not that the temperature is going to be too cold.  It is that it is not going to be warm or cold but marginal.  It would be fine if it is just 35 or so (shorts), but overcast will take the edge off that and light rain might be ok, but then when the wind blows that is probably fine for the first hour, but then for hour two and three ..... you know all that stuff.  Does it all add up to bringing that extra layer or just tough it out.  If it was going to be 20 F or colder I would just throw on some cold weather gear and be fine with it.  

Similar weather here today, low 40's, 15 mph wind, drizzle.  Out the door into the wind with a windbreaker and gloves on.... just right for the first couple miles, take the gloves off = cold hands, turn down wind don't need the gloves anymore, rain stops, don't need the jacket anymore.... but when I turn into the wind and the rain starts again... or rains heavier.. etc.       
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rain forecast for my Marathon 8( Rss Feed