General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trip to phoenix Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-13 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
elizabethtown
Subject: trip to phoenix
Hello everyone. I am taking a work trip to phoenix next week and am shipping the bike for some riding. Anyone have any suggestions. I have searched the routes and found some nice looking rides. Also what has the weather been like? 10 day says anywhere from 40-70.
I am staying at the jw marriott desert ridge resort and spa. thanks
shannon

2010-01-13 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2612341

New user

Subject: RE: trip to phoenix

Shannon - you picked the right time of year to come.  You are also staying in a great location for riding and running.  there is some great territory where you are at. 

First off weather - that sounds right for this time of year.  Today is 73 for the high.  This morning when I left my house at 6:00 for a run it was 48.  This is what it has been for the last few weeks.  If it cools off highs should be in the mid 60's.  You could see lows in the mid 30's at your hotel around sunrise.  However, the weather heats up pretty fast so if it is in the mid 30's at sunrise expect 50 by 10:00 am.  If you are doing longer rides definitley bring layers because it will heat up. 

Locations to ride - not sure how long you are in town, but there are a few group rides on Saturday's that are in your area.  First is Bicycle Ranch.  Google them.  Big group that normally divides into 3 smaller ones based on speed.  40 - 60 miles noramlly strating at 7:30 am.  Lifetime Fitness also has a group that typcially leaves at 8:00 and does a similar distance and route from there. 

If you are looking for something to do on your own Mapmyride.com has may great routes that cover the area.  If you need some specific recomendations let me know and I can shoot you some links of route I put together for the area.  As a general rule I tend to head north.  From where you are staying I would probably head east to Scottsalde Road.  Take Scottsdale (sorry this turns into Tom Darlington in the Town of Carefree) north to Cave Creek Road (Not sure of the distance here but talking 10 - 15 miles).  There is a gas station at Tom Darlington and Cave Creek you can stop at with a water fountain to refill drinks / buy gatorade, etc.  Then head east on Cave Creek.  This is a climb.  Depending on how far you want to climb it is an out and back past Pima road (Pima is about 1.5 miles from the gas station).  Once you have gone up the hill (Cave Creek Road) as far as you want to go (this road is actually goes for quite some time.  I have ridden it all the way to Seven Springs), turn around and head back to Pima.  Take Pima south to whatever road (Deer Valley, Pinnacle Peak, etc) you used to go to Scottsdale and head back to your hotel.  If you want more details, like I said, send me a PM and I can help you out.  I ride in this area three or four times a week.

If you are into trail running check out the McDowell Sonoran Preserve.  It's about 5 miles from your hotel and great trails for running / hiking and great views. 

Have a great trip.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trip to phoenix Rss Feed