General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lane etiquette in the pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-10 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: Lane etiquette in the pool
If this has been asked recently, my apologies, but I have a question on lane etiquette. In the pool I swim in at lunch there are usually 3 lap lanes set out. Each is designated as either FAST, MODERATE, or SLOW by little placards. I am definitely in the SLOW category. So, it was pretty crowded today - 1 person in the slow lane, 2 in the moderate, but none in the fast lane. I go to the slow lane, sit down at the end and when that swimmer came to the end I made eye contact with him. He didn't stop but moved to the left side of the lane which I took as a signal that we would share the lane with him on the left me on the right. I think I'm a considerate swimmer, I don't flail or hog the lane but after a while he got out and went to the fast lane where he had it to himself. I felt a little like maybe I encroached on his space. Now, my question is, should I have just gone to the empty fast lane in the first place even though I am a very slow swimmer? Or was I OK in doing what I did?

2005-06-10 2:17 PM
in reply to: #172591

User image

Regular
Illinois
Subject: RE: Lane etiquette in the pool
Nothing wrong with what you did. If you'd wanted, you could have taken the fast lane for yourself -- but then if you were joined later by a truly "fast" swimmer in that lane, etiquette would dictate that you then get out and move over to the slow lane. But there's absolutely nothing inconsiderate about joining a single other swimmer in a lane of the proper speed.
2005-06-10 2:17 PM

User image

You did the right thing.  The problem is his, not yours.  Perhaps he just wanted some "me" time

Chris

2005-06-10 2:23 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-06-10 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Thanks! Good to know I didn't commit a major faux pas!

Super crowded eh? three people.. love it

Glad I could amuse you.

Edited by pippen 2005-06-10 2:30 PM
2005-06-10 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Also, maybe he was using the slow lane to do his slow (warmup / drills) work, and was simply ready to swim faster, so he moved...

2005-06-10 2:45 PM
in reply to: #172594

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
RunningIsFun - 2005-06-10 11:17 AM

Nothing wrong with what you did. If you'd wanted, you could have taken the fast lane for yourself -- but then if you were joined later by a truly "fast" swimmer in that lane, etiquette would dictate that you then get out and move over to the slow lane. But there's absolutely nothing inconsiderate about joining a single other swimmer in a lane of the proper speed.

I agree. I probably would have gone to the "fast" lane and moved over once real "fast" swimmer came. But you should not feel bad for what you did. The pool has signs out for a reason, and you were following the signs. Where I swim there is no speed designated for a lane so it is just first come first serve.
2005-06-10 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
You did the correct thing. No need to worry. It's a good idea when joining a lane with one swimmer to ask the person in the water "circle or split?". That way they can either choose a side or you can circle swim. When a third person joins, everybody should circle.
2005-06-10 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
semi-hijack:

what about lane etiquette when it comes to catching up to someone in front of you, or, taking off right in front of a person? i think my issue and expecting the same courtesy that i extend to others stems from my swim team days (where there was courtesy) and i just get frustrated that others don't do the same cos frankly, it's common sense...

i swim in the fast lane. i'm not always the fastest in the lane, but more often than not i am (i do about a 30 min. mile so i'm not speedy gonzales, but not a snail either). i don't like hitting someone's feet i just think it's weird/rude (yeah, it happens in the race but whatever you hit all sorts of body parts - not an issue). so usually when i start to swim up on someone, i figure that when they get to the wall, they will see that i'm on their feet and will yield to a faster swimmer and hold back to let me pass. all too often they don't. and no, i'm not drafting them. so what i have to do is interrupt my rhythm and give some distance between us, often times the person behind me then catches up and that's frustrating cos then i wind up waiting for them to pass until there's enough space for us not to swim on top of one another.

the other issue i have is when a slower swimmer waits until i am about to swim into the wall and as i get there, they go! and they're slower than me! and they didn't just get in the pool- they've had to let me pass already. GRRRRRR!!!!

the lifeguards do nothing about it. i've voiced my displeasure when this happens (not often, but enough over the years). they also don't 'police' the lanes and move people to the med/slow lane if they clearly are not fast enough for the fast lane. i swim at a local Y and there's people of all ages that swim here. the med and slow lanes are often filled with much older swimmers during lap swim. i guess i could bring it up to the aquatics director...

i just had to get it off my chest. just be mindful of those around you and pay attention to how close someone is to you when you push off the wall and give way to them.

i feel better now.
2005-06-10 3:39 PM
in reply to: #172646

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Shrano I actually prefer someone to tap my foot if they want to pass. I think you should try tapping their foot, but then if they don't let you pass... watch out! Just kidding.

I also hate it when the slower swimmer takes off in front of you.

Jen
2005-06-10 10:39 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
I had a guy pass me on my right (between me and the rope)...it surprised the hell out of me. Jack@$$

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lane etiquette in the pool Rss Feed