General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frustration trying to plan racing schedule Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-18 9:49 AM

User image

Subject: Frustration trying to plan racing schedule
I'm frustrated and here's why. This is my second year doing triathlons. Last year, I was just dipping my feet into the water to see how it felt and I'm hooked. But now, I'm trying to be serious about training and planning for races. I bought a training book, and a lot of it is difficult to understand, but one thing that stuck out to me was that I should have main races I'm working towards and then other races that get me ready for the main races. I have only done two Sprints ever, so I want to do a few more of those this year, and I want to try at least one Olympic. BUT. I live in Italy and I'm in the Navy. That means that my schedule isn't really up for discussion and it can change a lot, plus, I cannot find races in Italy. I know they have them. I'm willing to travel to go to a race somewhere else in Europe, but money is definitely an issue for how often that can happen. I feel like I'm on my own out here trying to figure out all this stuff by myself. Can anyone give me a suggestion for someplace I can look for races (there aren't any posted for Italy yet on this website)? How many triathlons should I try to be doing this year? I'm also going to do some 5 and 10k's since the base hosts those almost every month. Thanks!

2010-01-18 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2619455

Subject: RE: Frustration trying to plan racing schedule
...is there a "Tri" community on the Naval base????  methinks you are not the only one interested in Tri. and perhaps similarly situation persons could point you in the right direction...???
2010-01-18 10:12 AM

User image

Well, there aren't any swimming groups, but I do know of a cycle group that rides together on the weekends. Maybe one of them knows people or does Tri. Last year, there were seven of us from work that did a Sprint together, but we were all brand new to the sport, and now they are asking me! AH!!! I'll post back if I find out anything in case anyone else is out here, too.
2010-01-18 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
2010-01-18 10:16 AM

User image

Runner

I am amused there is no swimming group on a Naval base. 

Dunno about finding races where you are.  Could you contact the local MWR office and see if they have any information, or if they could find out?

As for planning a schedule, it all depends.  You could just train and race; you don't need to have specified "A" races.  In fact, that might work better for you, between a flexible schedule and being new to things.  Only challenge there is figuring out how much to train, and when. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frustration trying to plan racing schedule Rss Feed